🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Naturella

Hello, all!

So, I have this great coupon from my local Petland, that gives me $10 off a $25+ purchase, and I want to get one bag of either of the following:

Wellness Core (anything but the chicken recipe)
    Merrick Grain Free (anything but the chicken recipe/s)
    Taste of the Wild – one with little or no chicken in it
    Canidae Pure – anything but chicken in it

Which one would you get? I know TOTW is made by Diamond, so is Canidae apparently, but I saw that Merrick treats had a recall due to salmonella, but both Merrick and Wellness have top protein levels… So yeah… What would you do?

#33564 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Oh my! This may sound silly, but I JUST found a boutique-type pet store 1.7 miles from my home that carries Victor and Weruva! Now… Provided that they match competitors’ (Petland’s) coupons, my dilemma is now:
    Victor
    Weruva
    Wellness Core
    Merrick GF

Which one do you think?

#33565 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi-
    Wow! Nice coupon. I have been using the Victor grain free with great results with my dogs. I highly recommend it. I feed my cats Wellness Core with great results as well. I think Weruva just sells canned food, bit I think they are very good also. I’ve never used the Merrick G/F, but Merrick seems to be a good company. Have fun with your choices.

#33568 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Wow…you sure are fortunate! I like Wellness foods, but only use their cans for both my cat and dogs. Their kibble size is too big for my dogs (can one can’t have chicken so small breed is out). My dogs eat Annamaet and Fromm but I’ve been looking into Victor. A store near me may start carrying it! It is a good food, imho. I love Weruva cans for both my cat and dogs, but for some reason just end up using Wellness mostly. Weruva is very pricy, but great quality. TOTW is a really good food that works for mine, however, with Diamond being the manufacturer I just went away from them….and I wouldn’t have otherwise! I used to feed Merrick religiously, but had some issues with their kibble last year and canned food this year and will never feed them again so won’t recommend them anymore, sorry. Last year (I think it was around then, maybe a little longer) I was using their Pork kibble and found some weird looking pieces (long and dark) sort of like BB’s lifesource bits in color. My dogs had some before I realized it because my daughter fed them for me from a new bag and they all got weird looking loose stool, and a lot of it! I stopped feeding their dry at that time. Contacted Merrick and they were no help at all. I had those pieces in multiple bags I opened after that. At the end of last year I was still using their canned food every now and then. However, one can I opened had some weird looking “darkened matter” in the middle of the can, not in the top! Looked like mold, maybe, I really couldn’t identify it? Anyway, I didn’t feed it to the dogs…thank goodness it was caught in time. I will never use them again, though lots of people do use them with success and love them (I used to). I did try Canidae Pure with my cat and dogs but none of them liked the food. The fish based Canidae Pure also had kibble that was too big, if I remember correctly. Great ingredients, but they might also still be made by Diamond. So, with all that rambling, lol, if it were me I’d go with Wellness, Victor or Weruva.

#33575 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

If you don’t want any chicken at all, all of the Wellness CORE has chicken except Wild Game, and the only TOTW with out chicken is the High Prairie Puppy. Just throwing that out there :p

That’s a great coupon! Hope the one store takes it. I’ve yet to ask my lps if they’ll take pet supermarkets $4 off $20 coupon lol

#33577 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

TOTW Pacific Stream is without chicken…it’s the only one I could feed Laverne as it has the right amount of everything for her. Also, Core Ocean does not have chicken, if I remember correctly….could be wrong on that one.

#33578 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

You’re right. I don’t look at fish based foods because one of my dogs doesn’t like fish. I do sneak in the Ocean Fish CORE every now and then and just mix it in, since we finally got him to stop picking through his food piece by piece lol

#33582 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

My dogs love the Weruva Marbella Paella and Cirque de la Mer. Those are chicken free. I haven’t tried their Korubuta style cans, just Human Style.

#33587 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Everyone, thanks so much for the input.

I think first thing I need to do is go to the store and see if they do match others’ coupons. If so, based on the prices of Victor and Weruva, it will be one of these 2.

If not, I think I may try Wellness Core Wild Game. The only reason I want a chicken-less kibble is because Bruno’s (my pup) foods are lined so that when his current chicken-based mix runs out, he will get a fish-based one, then a buffalo-and-lamb-based one, then chicken-based one again, so I want to get him something non-chickeny for after the next time he has chicken.

But I have been eying Weruva 60 and 90 and most of the Victor Grain-free ones, so I hope I can use my coupon there. 🙂

Thanks for all the input.

#33588 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Weruva doesn’t come in 60 or 90. That’s Wysong Epigen! Epigen 60 comes in Fish and Venison. Epigen 90 is just chicken. Unless they’ve added some since I last checked.

#33589 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Oh My God, yes, that was a fail on my part! I was TOTALLY thinking about Wysong Epigen… I can’t believe I got them confused! LoL!

Thanks, pugmomsandy!

#33610 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Hahaha how can you decide? I know I sure couldn’t, LOL!

But just throwing it out there: my friend feeds her sensitive dogs Victor and gets incredible results. (She’s such a lucky duck. Where she’s at, it’s $30 for a 40lb bag! That is a STEAL! I can only find it online around here, and a 30lb bag is 60$+)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.