Sensitive stomach

Dog Food Advisor Forums Canine Nutrition Sensitive stomach

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Corey K

What is the best protein for a dog with a sensitive stomach? I have a 12 year old bearded collie who has acid reflux and some colitis. I had her on a chicken easy to digest food, supplemented with chicken and rice. She eats the chicken and rice but does not like the dry food. I have my other dogs on lamb so I bought the senior lamb version of the food she is eating. (she gets nosy/interested in the other dogs’ food) This food is not listed as a sensitive stomach food, and my vet recommended that, but it’s a senior food so wondered if it would be ok.

#49271 Report Abuse

Susan

Hi Corey K, I found around 24% & under for protein & around 10%-12% fat for Patch, Im trying the Wellness Simple Duck & Oatmeal, fat is 12% & protein is 21%,the Wellness Simple has Lamb & Oats but the fat% is 12-13% & the protein is 21%…Also Ive been giving Tuna in spring water drained & some pumkin, I found the pumkin & oats soothe Patches stomach, but when they have Acid Reflux like Patch has I found the fat & protein as to be low or Patch gets his acid & starts his swollowing & licking his lips…so far the Wellness Simple has been good.. he’s a link if you want to look at other flavors & the Protein% & fat% the Simple wet foods fat% is too high for Patch its 6% fat but it might be OK for ur girl also Holistic Select has their Senior kibble & wet tin food & the fat% is only 3% fat in their senoir wet tin food, tuna has less fat then the boiled chicken breast I found..
    http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/categories.aspx?pet=dog&cat=3 Wellpet makes Simple & Holistic Select & Eagle Pack, Eagle Pack has a Reduced fat kibble & wet tin also..

#49273 Report Abuse

DogFoodie

Hi Corey,

What dry food are you currently feeding her?

Does she have any food intolerances or allergies? Does she have any foods that you know trigger her colitis?

#49327 Report Abuse

Corey K

Thank you for the info. She is so picky – for many years the only thing we could get her to eat was the frozen bil jac. We found this because she ate so little to the point that she was getting thin and we used this for behavior training and found she would eat it. About 6 mos ago it actually became toxic for her. Right now she was eating natures recipe chicken and rice easy to digest (vet said get an easy to digest food) but she picks at it also. I supplement that with ground chicken and rice. I was recently told that dogs with food allergies do well with lamb so I switched to their senior lamb and rice and she is much more interested in it. I have two other dogs so although she would be a great grazer she can’t do that in our house. I am not sure if all of this is related to chicken or if she actually has gerd and colitis. It came right out of nowhere. I still have her on medicine but would love to know that it’s food related.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.