Is this site still relevant?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Off Topic Forum Is this site still relevant?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kev S
    Participant

I would come here a couple of times a year to get honest sometimes brutal reviews on dog food. Now it seems reviews are being pumped out and nearly all food has a 4-5 star rating and either “enthusiastically recommended” or “highly recommended”.

Is this site now among most others and is playing safe?

#164321 Report Abuse

Hi Kev S,

Thanks for your comment. I’ll do my best to address each of your concerns. Since first launching The Dog Food Advisor in 2008, we have tried to be consistent in every review we write. Always.

For example, we conclude every one of our more than 900 reviews with our final summary recommendation. The words we use ALWAYS follow the same rules below. No exception. Here is the key we use to format our concluding statement with rigid consistency:

5 stars = “enthusiastically recommended”.
    4 stars = “highly recommended”
    3 stars = “recommended”
    2 stars or less = “not recommended”

All 28 “Best Dog Food” pages on our website include ONLY 4 and 5 star brands… which is why you see the words “highly recommended” and “enthusiastically recommend” so often. With the exception of our “Best Budget Friendly Dog Foods page, that policy has NEVER changed.

And if you’ll take the time to sample a much larger segment of our reviews, you’ll still find we are brutally critical of many brands. For example, try comparing our “best” dog food pages to our list of 1-star dog foods and 2-star recipes.

One more thing. Keep in mind, most companies change their recipes. Sometimes (but not always) for the better.

For example, take Purina. Pro Plan has recently begun to eliminate its use of generic “animal fat”. Instead, they are switching to pork or beef tallow. We consider these better quality ingredients. So, some recipes have been upgraded about a half-star.

Yet many other Purina recipes continue to use generic or poorly identified ingredients, like “meat by-products”. These ingredients do not clearly identify the species of the source of animal protein. So, they usually earn 2 stars or less.

Also, we no longer consider corn gluten as negative an ingredient as in the past… as long as the company takes the time to balance its amino acid content to meet or exceed AAFCO nutrient profiles.

Hope this helps.

Mike Sagman, Editor
    The Dog Food Advisor
    Saving Good Dogs From Bad Dog Food

#164322 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

Ken I still trust the DFA as a trustworthy and informative site that helps me tremendously in choosing nutrition for my dogs’. I note the ingredients that are highlighted in red in the ingredient list. This indicates that they are possibly not the most desirable to be included in a dog’s diet . At times I did research further and consensus was right on with what the DFA had noted as potential problematic ingredients when trying to feed the healthiest diet possible.

Even us humans have been told what was good for us one year was now considered not so good and visa versa. . Was told for so long that egg yolks were full of cholesterol and not heart healthy at all. New Harvard research shows that Since then, however, research has shown that “most of the cholesterol in our body is made by our liver-it doesn’t come from cholesterol we eat. The liver is stimulated to make cholesterol primarily by saturated fat and trans fat in our diet, not dietary cholesterol. But a large egg contains little saturated fat-about 1.5 grams (g). And research has confirmed that eggs also contain many healthy nutrients: lutein and zeaxanthin, which are good for the eyes; choline, which is good for the brain and nerves; and various vitamins (A, B, and D). In fact, just one large egg contains 270 international units (IU) of vitamin A and 41 IU of vitamin D. One large egg also contains about 6 g of protein and 72 calories.”. Sorry for that dry tidbit about an egg. But confident in the DFA analysis because he also is keeping up with the constant changing nutritional research for our pets as he posted with the change of the corn gluten as a past negative ingredient.

Also appreciate keeping me informed and up-to-date with all the dog food recalls. Gives me a chance to keep a track record of the company . Can’t beat all I’ve learned from the DFA facebook page also. Everything to dangerous/poisonous foods to not give your pet, deceptive ingredient splitting, what chelated ingredients in food means, why feeding low fat dog food might be a bad idea for weight loss etc. Before finding DFA I never knew there was so much to learn regarding dog food because I never even knew the questions to ask. So this has been a very educational site for me.

I also enjoy reading posts from others and truly appreciate their suggestions to my pet questions. Hopefully I have also been a help to someone on this board from my experiences in suggesting a food that their dog ended up doing well on.
    So with that being said I for one am grateful for this site.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Patricia A.
    • This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Patricia A.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.