Fromm Dog Food Dangers

Dog Food Advisor Forums Off Topic Forum Fromm Dog Food Dangers

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 209 total)
  • Author

Debbie

Yes, I would be interested in knowing what supplement you were testing as well! I was just about to start a supplement – Prozyme. Hope this wasn’t it!

#34484 Report Abuse

pugmomsandy
    Participant

Jastech was testing a product called Dyne. Put Dyne is the search box on the main forum page and the topic will come up.

#34485 Report Abuse

Dori

Thanks Sandy. I have to ask this question cause I don’t get it. Am I missing something? Why would any food, supplement, whatever contain propylene glycol? That’s an ingredient in antifreeze. Why would anyone read that in the list of ingredients and think it’s ok to give it to their animals. Everyone knows that anti freeze kills. Again, what am I missing?

#34486 Report Abuse

pugmomsandy
    Participant

Besides to preserve a product, it’s probably cost effective versus natural preservatives and since it’s one of those ingredients not banned in the USA, companies are going to use it because it’s not deemed dangerous by some authorities. Some folks might not know it’s kin to antifreeze. I just realized it was in one of my cereals a few months ago! I just don’t read labels good enough. Now I just buy organic cereal. Some people just don’t know. At some point, there’s enlightenment, but I didn’t know it until coming to DFA which was 3 years ago maybe. I was feeding Beneful without a second thought. And some people take the word of the FDA regarding safety to be truth.

#34491 Report Abuse

theBCnut

Hi Dori
    Ethylene Glycol is antifreeze, the outright poisonous one. Propylene glycol is related but not the same, still not something that belongs in food IMO, but our government in their infinite “wisdom” allows it and it’s cheap.

Hi Jastech

Yes, changing foods changes the gut flora. This is a good thing because not changing foods limits the different strains of probiotics that can live in the gut and a healthy diverse population of probiotics is the best way to prevent the overgrowth of C. diff.

#34499 Report Abuse

Dori

Well, Patty, I for one agree that it is not something that our animals or we should be ingesting. I do not buy, feed or eat anything that has this or other chemicals that I cannot do not know what they are let alone am able to pronounce. I wouldn’t eat or feed it to my loved ones. Our government, as can be proven, does not have a lot of wisdom. Thanks.

#35465 Report Abuse

Seamark12

Hi everyone I’m writing from London, England!
    I feel so guilty! My 13.5yr old golden retriever Lucy had been having bloody Diahorrea on and off, for months during 2013, the Vet tested and the reports all came back negative. she asked me had I changed her food…..no! If she had asked me was it a new bag……who knows, perhaps Lucy wouldn’t have suffered. She always had Fromm and I think it’s the best. She got through two large bags of high maintanace and I put her lethargy and loose stools down to old age. Since getting a new batch of Fromm, she is brighter, healthier and no more loose or bloody stools. I am pleased to report they are 100% normal. Her life must have been so uncomfortable. I just feel so bad that I/Fromm was the cause of her suffering. I am now sure it was a bad batch which I wish I had thought to return…… I am so sorry Lucy!

#38553 Report Abuse

JASTECH

Seamark12, sorry to hear of your pets issue with Fromm. I have fed the yard Fromm for years. Do you still have the bag and/or lot number off bag? I ask because I will try and help all them who feed Fromm, sense I go through so much on my yard with Champions and International Champions, it’s very good food.

Thanks, JASTECH

#38618 Report Abuse

France F

Hi everyone, I need to share my own experience with the Fromm products with you all. Back in March 2013, I had two dogs that had been on different Fromm formulations for over a year. But I began to notice their digestion was changing. Upon feeding them from a brand new bag of the Chicken formula, both became sick with severe diarrhea, and one was so ill with severe vomitting on top of it, that I took her to the Emergency vet where she received sub-q fluids, anti-nausea and antibiotic meds. She also showed abnormal kidney values. I immediately stopped feeding them this kibble, and put them on vet-issued gastro kibble. Within a couple of days, they were both back to normal. I reached out to the company, who were quick to respond that they’d never had a recall, or even a complaint! I decided to keep some of the kibble for testing, and brought the bag back to store so the rep could send it back to Fromm for their own testing. Of course, all their tests were good. My own tests came back OK, but I only tested for metals and bacteria. Unless you know what you’re looking for, it’s difficult to pinpoint the source of the problem. To this day, I am convinced that this food made my dogs very ill, and one of them quite seriously so. I will never ever go back to this product. Ever. Companies will do anything to not get on a recall list, as reputation is everything; it’s also very easy for them to blame the dogs as diarrhea/vomitting can be from a number of causes. But we know our dogs. And if we are consistent with their regimen, and don’t let them get into garbage, then the food needs to be viewed as a possibility. And I’m very sorry for the person who lost their dog.

France

#38635 Report Abuse

Leah12345

France F I just switched from Fromms. I think we have to trust our own experience and if nothing changed besides the food, it might have been the food. They may be a good company who needs tighter quality controls. Just my two cents and I am glad your dogs are doing better.

#38656 Report Abuse

France F

Leah, I very much agree with you in terms of trusting our own experience. They certainly appeared to me to be a good company, but something went wrong with their product and I’ll probably never know what. What raised my suspicions was their statement that I was the only one with a complaint in all of North America (I’m in Canada). In the end, I simply was no longer confident enough in the product to use it again. And my dogs were better off for it. Companies are always looking for ways to cut costs and increase sales, so perhaps they changed suppliers for one or more ingredients. I’ll probably never know.

#40789 Report Abuse

Sindy H

I just bought a can of Fromm for my dog and a few for my cats with the surf and turf dry cat food. I have yet to try them. I read really good reviews from this company but I’m kind of worried now. I’m sorry for all your losses and suffering, this breaks my heart. I can’t help but wonder, could it have been treats? Or other foods etc the dogs were ingesting? My pets have always been on vet food since I adopted them. I lost one of my cat to diabetes and ever since I’ve been researching for the best food out there and came across Fromm and loved what I’ve been reading until now but I’m thinking ill still give it a try since compared to a lot of other companies reviews, this one still tops them. If something God forbid happens to my pets because of the food and not the treats then ill definitely keep pushing Fromm for answers. If I didn’t work, I would totally learn to make pet food myself, my pets would eat better than I do ! Ill give Fromm a try for now. Please keep posting with updates, good or bad, anything helps. I wish you and all your loved ones, furry or not all the best.

#41957 Report Abuse

Cindy F

Sorry to hear you were having trouble with the dog food but my 6 year old pitbull has been on Fromm Chickan a la Veg for 4 years now and he doesn’t have issues with diarrhea or anything, Fromm has never had a recall and they’re the only brand I trust to feed my dog.

#42099 Report Abuse

Joyce B

I have been having some problems with my dogs in the past few months also. I wasn’t questioning the food until lately though. I feed Fromm’s Adult Gold. It started with one dog getting bloody diarrhea about every 4 weeks….starting in Dec I think…..I’d clear it up and then it would happen again about 4 weeks later. About 6 weeks ago, I took in a stool sample and it was negative but the vet treated him for giardia. He cleared up again with the bland diet, then as I tried to get him back onto the Fromm’s food again…he’d get so far and then back to the bloody diarrhea again. I thought it was HIM…some digestive problem or something. A few days after the trip to the vet about 5-6 other dogs of mine got the bloody diarrhea…some worse than others….some vomited too. And some had yellow bile. I put them all on panacur and the metronizadole (same as the first dog) and they cleared up quickly and were fine after that. The male kept getting it…then we treated him with a double dose of metronizadole……and after that I Put him on kocci free…a homeopathic remedy. He kept getting better with the treatment but would fall backwards with the increase of the food. I finally decided it had to be the food. I bought some frozen Bravo food for him…and within 3 feedings, his stool was fine again. Just recently a few of the dogs have gotten those orangy mushy stools…and diarrhea…..so, now I am really questioning the food. I thought maybe there was a change in the formula…..I’m thinking it’s more than though. The vet had said we could test for isolated bacteria…..but, I am going to watch him on the frozen food now and see how it goes…..he lost A LOT of weight while we tried to figure this all out. I’m thinking about going back to the raw diet again….I did that for about 12 years….

#42106 Report Abuse

Mom2Cavs

I’m sure you know this, but just an fyi, Bravo did have a recall recently….I don’t remember what they recalled, though. I love Fromm and have used it lots, but any food can have problems from many things, like storage issues for example. I’m not saying you didn’t store it correctly, I’m just saying in general. I use Fromm cans off and on, too, with success. I’ve had any issues with any Fromm, yet. Good luck to you and your dogs’ health.

#42308 Report Abuse

Miana R

I was just about to switch to FROMM, now I don’t know. I’m really picky but have been out of work and looking for something a little easier on the budget. Now, I’m nervous about FROMM. Can I ask what is everyone else feeding in place of FROMM. I have a senior Sheltie with Severe CORN allergies, but otherwise ok. We also raise Miniature American Eskimos. Any suggestions are appreciated. I liked that FROMM had no recalls.

Thanks, Miana (NY)

#42310 Report Abuse

aquariangt

I’ve never personally had issues with fromm. The 4 star is one of 4 brands I’ve been using in my current rotations (about to add one and we will see if it works) and I use gold cans too. Just gotta find one your dogs do well on

#42658 Report Abuse

LexiDog

I have never had an issue with Fromm either. I use the Four Star line in my rotation.

#42687 Report Abuse

Patty5

Update on giving my dogs Fromm Adult Gold. No issues now. The one who didn’t want to eat it, is now chowing down. All of them are doing great on it. So I don’t feel that it was the food.

#42970 Report Abuse

Linda L

From what I recall, clostridium bacteria is present in the dog’s gut — and doesn’t cause problems generally, but if the immune system is depressed, can cause big problems. It’s not really present in food but different foods can obviously have side effects on dogs. We had a dog long time ago that had this kind of problem, intermittent diarrhea, and had a couple of courses of flagyl (metronizadole) — was close to being diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome but we found a food that worked for him and had no more problems.

#43432 Report Abuse

Sandy N

I stopped using Fromm about a week ago — My border collie would not touch it even though I had chicken thighs in it and my german shepherd had to be forced to eat it. Was feeding Grain Free Beef Frittata. I switched because I was having a problem with the shepherd throwing up periodically – yellow bile and having to be forced to eat. I never even thought something would be wrong with the food. I have them both on Orijen Regional Red. The border collie eats the kibble without anything else mixed in and really eats!!! the shepherd finishes his bowl within 10 minutes — usually took 3-4 hours. My border is 8-1/2 years old and my shepherd is 2 years old. Orijen is made in Canada with local sourced products – on their site you are able to meet the farmers. At Landmark feeds in Cedarburg Wi. Fromm’s gets great reviews — don’t know what to think. I do have a friend with a 4 year old shepherd that has a spotty hair loss problem – he eats Fromm Adult — I think I will stick with Orijen for awhile — they also have a dehydrated raw meat diet — it’s supposed to be easy to make — just soaking 15 mintues before feeding. Hope this helps. Sandy

#43672 Report Abuse

Denise A

My dog has been on Acana for the past 2 years since i got her from the shelter when she was 9 weeks old. I decided to switch her to Nature’s Select because Acana prices have been going up and my salary as a teacher has stayed the same.

She was diagnosed with coccidia after the food switch. I fed her chicken and rice for 2 weeks while her tummy healed. Now, she’s refusing any dog food that has chicken in it. We went to the store that gave us samples of Fromm and Zignature. She LOVED the FROMM.

After reading this I don’t know what to do!

#43909 Report Abuse

“Blue”

I’m sorry to hear some are having problems with food or whatever the cause of illness to their dog. My dog has eaten Fromm Adult Gold everyday since at least Feb. and I’m thankful to report no problems.

FWIW, I do mix in several foods everyday, so it’s not the only food he gets. I recognize this mixing different foods could be a problem if one were foul I wouldn’t know which one caused the problem.

Steve

#45158 Report Abuse

texasniteowl
    Participant

This is a very interesting thread to have come upon. Mainly because I’ve been feeding Fromm to my dog Wilson for over a year now. And guess what we’re dealing with right now? If you guessed a bacterial overgrowth of the rod shaped variety, you’ld be correct.

After I adopted Wilson in very late 2012, I wanted to upgrade his food. He came to us on Purina. We went to Fromm’s Duck & Sweet Potato. After a while, I decided to “upgrade” him again to grain free and we went to the Fromm Salmon Tunalini during the fall of 2013. So he’s been on that for about 9 months or so now.

In late April he started doing a lot of grass eating which was abnormal for him, but there were no other real symptoms to speak of.

In late May, things escalated and after some on and off soft poo and then some bloody poo, we went to the vet. Supposedly the fecal sample sent to the lab to check for parasites/Giardia, etc. was negative. The fecal sample the vet looked at himself however showed the bacterial overgrowth of the “rod shaped” bacteria.

He put us on a 5 day course of Amoxicillin, Metronidazole, and Pro-Pectalin (a probiotic/kaopectate combo).

On day 6, Wilson had vomiting and diarrhea…completely liquid.

On day 7, the vet put us on another 5 day course of the same and that is when we went to chicken and rice *bland* diet.

After that 2nd course, things seemed to be improving so I started putting some of his kibble in with the chicken and rice. OK at first but a few days ago, very, very soft poo made a re-appearance. So we’re back off the kibble and only on chicken and rice and the vet is having us try a 5 day course of Panacur.

If no changes, then the vet wants to take blood and fecal samples and send to the vet school at Texas A&M for consult.

Meanwhile, an acquaintance of mine who is a vet tech who has a dog who has IBD suggests an abrupt switch to a novel protein diet. Along with the Panacur. She believes a food intolerance could have led to the bacterial overgrowth.

Regardless, we’ll be ditching the Fromm’s for now. I don’t necessarily 100% believe that the food is to blame, but I’m certainly not absolving it from blame either.

#46651 Report Abuse

Marianne K

Sandy N: Your Shepherd is throwing up yellow bile because it is hungry, not because it is sick. It has nothing to do with the food.

OP – why do you blame Fromm when you admit you feed your dogs both Fromm and Evangers? It could be either…Evangers had a big recall a few years ago because their food was making dogs sick. Why are you warning people not to feed their dogs Fromm when you don’t know that’s the issue?

People need to be careful before warning others off of dog foods. What works for one may not work for another. Orijen gives my dog bad gas but many do well on it, Acana is not palatable to him and neither is TOTW, EVO gives him gas and diarrhea. These are all quality foods but they do not agree with him. He has been on Fromm for 8 years but that doesn’t mean that every dog will do well on it. Dogs will have diarrhea, even very bad diarrhea, from time to time. They will get stomach bugs and they will have bad reactions to foods they eat. They also step in all sorts of stuff and then lick their paws. Dogs with sensitive digestive systems will get diarrhea from certain foods, they may even throw up or develop colitis or have a flare up of IBD. Sometimes it’s a bad batch, sometimes it’s your dog. Inform yourself before giving certain foods a bad name.

#46671 Report Abuse

DogFoodie

The dog could be vomiting bile for various reasons.

I would never, never feed my dog the same food for eight years. That’s trouble waiting to happen.

#46745 Report Abuse

Nancy C

This is to Mom2Cav. Just as a response my dogs have both had problems with Acana. I think it’s the lentils and chick peas. It is an excellent food and I have been very sorry they cannot digest it. You are not the only one.

#46748 Report Abuse

Regina D

To Texasniteowl: I also have a rescue – 5 yo standard poodle, Alf. My story parallels yours in many ways, except that Alf never had bloody diarrhea. But I was trying all sorts of foods – so frustrating. We also did the vet thing with meds, stool samples, etc. Then a week here & there with homemade chicken/rice. I have a garage full of various foods I tried to no avail. Finally I read about trying a novel protein (like lamb, duck, rabbit, e.g.), a limited ingredient diet (LID) (he eats canned only). Someone on this forum recommended Natural Balance Lamb & Brown Rice. Natural Balance doesn’t have the best recommendation on the Reviews, but I was at the end of my rope, and it is working for Alf. He has been on NB L&BR for almost 14 days now, and not one loose BM, gurgling stomach, bile upchuck, not eating all day. I would like to eventually get him off NB, but I will keep him on it for 1-2 months, since we went through the digestive problems for so long. When I do change, I think I will stick with lamb, and introduce anything very slowly. I’m not recommending any particular food, but just telling you what worked for Alf. Good luck! Keep us informed.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by  Regina D.
    #48247 Report Abuse

Tony A

Given how high Fromm’s standards are, it’s no surprise that their dog food has never been involved in a pet food recall.

If no recall on this food, more than likely it’s the dog, not the food.

#49358 Report Abuse

Cheri W

I had two dogs become very ill with clostridium bacteria they were eating fromm wild game bird recipe. My one puppy had to be give fluids to re hydrate her. They have been very ill and are still battling this situation. Am very worried for them. It’s very expensive to have the food tested yourself I checked and have already spent a forti on at the vets. They are on a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice recommended from the vet,after that I am going to try Acana. Anyone with the same problems should contact the FDA and please keep us all updated.

#49370 Report Abuse

Honestly, I have never heard of a dog getting Clostridium from eating kibble. Undercooked and contaminated meat, feces, stagnant water etc, but not kibble. Some clostridium can be a normal bacteria in the intestinal tract, and anything that creates an imbalance in the gut can lead to the bacteria over flourishing and causing an issue-such as sudden diet change, antibiotic usage etc. Hope you get it under control soon!

#49384 Report Abuse

losul

I agree with completely with Melissa on that. Clostridium is an obligate anaerobe, meaning they cannot be active under normal oxygen conditions. They must have very low to no oxygen conditions to proliferate, and probably higher moisture conditions. It’s not very likely nowadays, but it would be much more likely to occur in an improperly processed canned food. It’s takes higher temperatures than what would normally kill any active bacteria, to kill spores, that’s why lower acid canned foods MUST be pressure canned, otherwise clostridium can proliferate in that vacuum atmosphere. However, if the foods were already heavily contaminated pre-processing, high heat will not deactivate the toxins the bacteria could/may have already produced pre-processing..

That said, the inactive dormant spores are near everywhere in the environment, and as Melissa said can be a normal active bacteria in the gut, where they are kept in check by other bacteria competing, and a healthy immune system. A clostridium infection is usually thought of as a overgrowth, unless there was a large ingestion of bacteria/spores.

Do your dogs by chance have a history of any antibiotic usage, but especially clindamycin, or penicillin based antibiotics? And did your vet prescribe metronidazole or amoxicillin for the clostridium?

This describes an antibiotic induced colitis, usually caused by clostridium overgrowth;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antibiotic_associated_colitis

here’s some more info;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clostridium

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obligate_anaerobe

#49400 Report Abuse

Cheri W

My dogs were not on any antibiotics before getting sick and my vet said it is very unlikely they they all got contaminated from the same puddle of water or any other possibility. They were all eating the same food and the third dog has become sick. My vet also thinks the food. Not trying to say anything bad about the company just don’t want to see anyone else go through this. It has been a living nightmare and just trying to get to the bottom of it all. They were all very healthy dogs before all of this.

#49403 Report Abuse

Sindy H

Treats can also cause dogs to get ill. How long have they been on this food and how long have they been on that particular batch? To help rebalance their GI track, give them a small spoon of unsweetened kefir or yogurt per day, it will keep them healthy. Also if they go through garbage it can throw off their systems. Personally I would give filtered water anyway to make sure. Hope they get better soon.

#49408 Report Abuse

Cheri W

No treats unless made at home and they are not garbage pickers. They are small dogs and are inside most of the time. They are not outside unsupervised. The vet has them on probiotics along with meds. Today seems a little better for them but it’s been a long haul. They were on that food for about 2 years with no problems. The last batch was purchased and the first dog became sick within a couple of days. Didn’t no what the problem was at first was treating for stressful colitis because it started around the 4th of July. Kept feeding the food but she was on medication. She went through 3 rounds of medicine with no improvement. Finally the second dog became ill and that’s when I stopped the food and got treatment for dog 2. After stopping the food she started responding to treatment but was so full of the bacteria it has been a long haul. Thank Youi for your concern I just don’t want to see anyone else affected by this it is awful.

#49415 Report Abuse

Sindy H

Have you tried contacted Fromm? Maybe it’s where the bag came from and how it was stored, could be that it had stayed a lot in a humid hot place or bag was damaged slightly and allowed contamination. There are so many different possibilities. I wouldn’t scratch off the food but I would definitely not give them that particular batch. If they were doing fine for 2 years then most likely this bag might have been the issue. Keep it as reference with the bar code etc incase other cases like this and write them in your post with expiry date so we can see if related. If you give them kefir instead if spending for probiotics it’s cheaper and healthier for them and completely natural.

#49417 Report Abuse

Cheri W

Where do I purchase kefir and my exp. date is Nov 2015

#49418 Report Abuse

Sindy H

My supermarket has it in the yogurt section. I go with organic, it’s same price. Any health store should have it. I’d call and ask to avoid going there for nothing. Reason I ask for expiry date of bag with codes that are written on it is to see if others have the same info with same bacteria then it most likely would be the food batch and not just the bag alone itself. In a way the best way to find out is elimination process. If others used same batch no issues then could just be something that happened with that bag. I’m paranoid enough to even think a crazy person tampering with bags, there’s some sick ppl out there. Look up kefir for dogs online 🙂

#49421 Report Abuse

Cheri W

The food was wild game bird with exp. nov 2015 thanks for the info as soon as I find something out about the food I will post still investigating and hoping for help from FDA. Fromm nutritionist told me no way their food could be contaminated from where it is made thinks in transportation or somewhere else down the line. To me there have been a lot of dogs sick with this I just want to know where it is coming from. Thank you for your help.

#49424 Report Abuse

losul

Hi again Cheri.

I didn’t want to imply that I didn’t believe your dogs got very sick (I do believe it), just that I was baffled by a large clostridium ingestion/infection coming from kibble. There have been others reporting the same thing, and I’ve been thinking about this.

I don’t know what temperatures Fromm processes their kibble, but I know that boiling water temperatures (212 degrees) will kill active bacteria, but is not sufficient by itself to kill clostridium spores ( I do some home canning). Also I have seen some various brands of kibble bags in stores that appear to be vacuum packed or have had most of the air removed from them. Are the Fromm dogs foods like that? As I said previously, in order for clostridium to propagate and multiply they must have a very low oxygen condition. Another thing is if Fromm is packaging the dog food without sufficient moisture being removed from the food. I see in Fromm’s guaranteed analysis that moisture content is 10% max, which I think is the highest I think I have seen in kibble?

So several things, spores being present in the food after processing, not enough moisture removed from the food, low oxygen atmosphere, stored at warm temps, could lead to clostridial growth in kibble, I believe.

I don’t know what has caused your dogs illnesses, but regardless, I think you should also file reports with both the FDA AND your state feed regulator.

I’m really sorry this has happened to your pups/dogs and hope they get all well soon.
    Best wishes
    losul

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by  losul.
    #49429 Report Abuse

Cheri W

Thank you Iosul yes the bags are vacuum packed and I have filed a report to the FDA. My vet told me it is very highly that my dogs got it from there kibble. So I will now let the FDA handle the situation. My dogs are having a pretty good day today but they have had ups and downs. A lot of people having the same issue on the same food big red light to me. Just don’t want this to needlessly happen to any more poor animals. My dogs were very ill and it broke my heart to know it might be from what I was feeding them. I’m hoping the FDA gets to the bottom of it all. Thank You for your concern and when I know I will let everyone else know.

#53567 Report Abuse

Lisa B

I’m certainly sorry whenever I hear of someone’s pet’s suffering. My dog contracted clostridium from day care last year and it’s challenging and scary as a pet parent. But I think everyone should be quick to not always blame things like food and treats. I’ve personally fed my dogs Fromm for more than 5 years and Game Bird is one of the recipes we feed at home all the time and we have NEVER had any issues with quality or safety. I can speak from experience that customer service at Fromm is super helpful- they actually gave me some solutions that helped one of my dogs that suffer from skin sensitivities. A lot of time pets contract that just from eating something weird out in the world (garbage, poop, you name it) and it sets off their systems. Either way, Cheri I hope your dogs are doing well.

#53648 Report Abuse

Catherine M

I am so sorry for those who have lost their pets. I was researching this site because a friend mentioned she has recently started using fromm and her dogs love it. I think she said she is feeding the pork and applesauce. I know nothing about the company and I am simply researching However —- WE RECENTLY LOST OUR BELOVED MALTESE THE SAME WAY AS DESCRIBED. Our little guy was sensitive anyway and had addison’s which was under control – we took him in to the Vet monthly for his shot and made sure to give him his drops each day. The little guy was doing really well and had just been to the vet about a week before all of this happened. In the evening – after being fed – Princeton was obviously uncomfortable, had tummy upset and some diarrhea. We went to bed that night by the next morning the little guy really did not feel well. Princeton was very much a mamma’s boy. He was beside me always and he preferred to be right next to me. So I found it strange that next day that he began hiding after vomiting or the other. Normally he would just want to be taken care of but this time was way different. He just wanted to be left alone. Right after dinner he vomited and as my husband was cleaning that up, I sat beside hime asking him what was wrong. All of the sudden dark red blood appeared from his bottom. I freaked out of course and told my husband we were going to the vet and of course he agreed. He did have a little blood in his stools earlier my husband said but just kind of pinkish. Now the dark red blood really upset me. We rushed him to the emergency vet and he was put on an IV / blood was drawn and anti-nausea meds were given. An X-ray was taken with nothing found. The vet said he was a very sick dog and needed to stay. She needed authorization for an Ultra Sound the next day. The ultra sound found nothing but he was still very sick and not getting better. The little guy passed away. We were feeding EN special diet by Purina which you can only buy at the vet. These symptoms seem so similar I have to ask — CAN IT MAYBE BE A CERTAIN KIND OF DOG TREAT WE ARE GIVING THE LITTLE GUYS? Maybe that could be a common thread? We did not feed our little guy people food. He was given a Milo’s Chicken Meatball after dinner though. Anyone?

#57053 Report Abuse

melanie t

Hello, we just adopted Ginger a Pomeranian almost 3 weeks ago from a family who was moving out of state. This family was feeding her meow mix because the family felt like it made her coat better. I had my previous dog Abby, a Pom/Sheltie mix, for 12 years until she passed away in September due to a dog attack. We fed Abby Ziwi Peak (alternative to raw) food for years because she had skin issues and it did wonders for her but the food is very expensive. We decided to start Ginger on Ziwi Peak and raw goat’s milk for a couple of weeks to detox her from the cat food. She was itchy for a week but is much better now. I didn’t want to continue to feed her Ziwi Peak because of the expense. I went to the specialty dog/cat food store and Fromm was recommended due to the high quality yet lower cost. So I picked the surf and turf grain free and fingers crossed there has not been any problems yet. I am concerned after reading some of the reviews. Ginger loves it but she also ate cat food so I am pretty sure picky eating is not part of her personality. I will keep up with this site to see if anyone else has bad experiences and will inform if my Ginger has a bad experience as well. I also wanted to say to Catherine M who posted in October how sorry I am to hear of your dog’s passing. I wasn’t sure if you were aware that the Milo’s Chicken Dog treats did have a recall not long ago. I would like to know if the FDA does an investigation and what their findings are. Sorry to hear about all the doggies who have gotten sick and passed on. I know how heartbreaking it is to lose a fur baby. Thank you!

#57054 Report Abuse

theBCnut

FDA did investigate, extensively. Their findings were disappointing. I read an 82 page report on all the different tests they ran and they even had to invent tests, but they never did figure out why dogs and cats were dying from those treats. Many here will never buy jerky type treats or treats with anything from China until they get it figured out and that may never happen.

And on a side note, Fromm is one of the foods with the least number of complaints against it here. If my dog didn’t have food sensitivities that keep him from eating it, I’d be using it too.

#57058 Report Abuse

crazy4cats

Hi-
    I have never fed Fromm, but in the last year, I’ve only heard mostly great things about the food. I think they are a very reputable company. I also that think every food has a bad review here and there. I wouldn’t worry about it. But, what you could do is feed a rotation diet. https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/frequently-asked-questions/diet-rotation-for-dogs/ That way you can balance out any deficiencies or excesses in her meals. Thank you for adopting the little gal and have fun with her!

#57059 Report Abuse

DogFoodie

I would definitely like to try Fromm, but every single one of their formulas contain ingredients that my dog with food intolerance issues cannot eat.

I wouldn’t be hesitant to use it. The company appears to be a reliable, trustworthy manufacturer.

#57064 Report Abuse

Linda L

I have recently switched to Fromm (any of the grain free varieties — but particularly “cooling foods”) and have been happy so far. No digestive upsets at all.

#57080 Report Abuse

DogFoodie

Losul!!

Where are you? We / I miss you!

#57096 Report Abuse

JASTECH

Cheri, sorry to hear the little fuzzies are sick. I feed Fromm and have done so for years, a pallet every month for the yard, plus the added raw chicken and deer. I will keep an eyeball parked on this thread. I stay in contact with Fromm due to breeding and shows, so if I can be of help you are welcome to PM me too.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 209 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.