Fromm Dog Food Dangers

Dog Food Advisor Forums Off Topic Forum Fromm Dog Food Dangers

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 208 total)
  • Author

I had major issues with Fromm Classics Adult. I am looking for a lab to test the remaining food I have. The last three bags I have had small issues with vomiting and or diarrhea. This last bag caused severe bacteria issues in my rescue dogs. My little Chihuahua started with vomiting, being lethargic, then bloody diarrhea. It came on quickly and within 3 days she was dead. The vets had her on IV fluids and antibiotics…but she did not make it. Seven of my other rescues got the same symptoms, but with supportive care and antibiotics they were all able to be saved. Their poops tested positive for Clostridium Bacteria. I have made a report to the FDA. I sent email to Fromm and did get a reply back from them stating they were sorry for my loss and if I could send them some food they would test it for me. I did NOT send them any food…it’s still sitting here waiting to get mailed. Today I received an email stating, “We received the food you sent us and tested it. We did not find any toxins or bacteria in it. The food is safe. If there is anything we can do to further help you let us know.” WHAT…REALLY…tested food that I DID NOT SEND THEM. I will not send them any food at this point…I do not trust them. I have one other little Chihuahua who is on another “brand” of dog food here, and I have 3 other dogs who are on yet another “brand” of dog food…NONE OF THEM GOT SICK. This is clearly a food problem. I have emailed the Dept Of Agriculture to see if they can tell me a lab I can use to have the food tested. PLEASE if you have dogs eating Fromm and you have similar symptoms stop the food and get them to your vet ASAP.

#23871 Report Abuse

theBCnut

Did you ask your vet to report to the FDA too? The fact that you had multiple dogs on this food and they all got sick and you have other dogs not on this food that did not get sick should make the FDA take notice, but I have this feeling that they don’t do anything until they have had a certain number of complaints.

#27752 Report Abuse

daiseydukes8
    Participant

Thank You for your information! I am looking for a new dog food for my dog and that was one of the choices I was going to make, until I read this!

#27768 Report Abuse

BRT

Thank you so much for this info. My two dogs are on Fromm Grain Free Game Bird and for a month one of my dogs has had on and off watery diarrhea. Fecal samples came back negative for parasites and giardia but he had a severe overgrowth of Clostridium Bacteria. We did metronidazole for 10 days and canned W/D for a few days and he was doing okay. Poops didn’t get completely firms, but they were formed and soft. Finished the meds on Monday and got him back on his kibble and he had another episode yesterday and this morning.

The confusing part is that my other dog hasn’t had any issues at all on the Fromm.

Please keep me posted.

Thanks!

#29202 Report Abuse

K9USMC
    Participant

Not to say that it is by the food but me being a dog trainer for a very reputable company and having 6 dogs of my own all eating fromm, I have not one time had any issues. I also have a fellow trainer and several clients who feed the same and I’ve never heard any issues. I feed the black and gold. I have a black lab, chihuahua, Australian Shepard, and 3 Belgian Malinois, one of which who is my retired Military Working Dog who is nearing 13 years in age. I would contact Fromm and go from there

#29203 Report Abuse

Mom2Cavs

I’m very interested in the outcome of all this. I was feeding TOTW Pacific Stream and the dogs were doing great (it’ll stay in our very small rotation). Since it is a Diamond food, I was always nervous. I decided to try Fromm, again, and this time chose Salmon A La Veg since the only poultry is chicken cartilage and I wanted to see if it affected Laverne. They are fully transitioned to it now and are doing fine. I’ve always trusted Fromm and even years ago when I only had my 2 mixed breeds it was a go-to food for me and my dogs. I also use their Fromm 4Star canned food and they do fine with it as a topper. My cat is eating Fromm Gamebird for cats and is loving it….she also loves their canned foods. She is somewhat picky, too. I’m sorry your pups have gone through this and I ask that you please keep us updated. So far, Fromm has been one of the most reputable companies out there and I hope this isn’t a trend as these companies are getting to be few and far between. On a side note, I plan on trying Annamaet Option soon.

#29204 Report Abuse

K9USMC
    Participant

Also another thing to think about is if that food is too rich for that particular dog you may have that type of outcome. I fed people that were on blue Buffalo they had to switch because the dog food was to read that particular dog

#29224 Report Abuse

dellh
    Participant

There is a veterinary school/lab/research facility at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg Va.
    My vet often sends lab samples there for specific in depth testing. You can google them and get the specific address of the vet school.
    Hope this helps.

#29476 Report Abuse

I appologize for the long time between posts. My husband was diagnosed with cancer…it’s been a rough road here for us. I did take the Fromm food sample to our local Vet School Teaching Hospital here in CO. The testing came back, and it found no contaminents/bacteria in the sample I took them. So…for an unknown reason I had one dog die and several other get very sick (all eating Fromm). Three other dogs here (eating another brand of food) did not get sick. The ones that did get sick were also eating Evanger’s canned food several times a week. I had none of the canned food left, so could not test it. I have switched off the Fromm, because I was sure it was a food issue. And I no longer use Evanger’s. I will now never know what happened to cause so many dogs to get sick. I think of my little Chihuahua every day…miss her terribly. Some of my other “rescue” friends have had issues while feeding Fromm too so I will not trust Fromm again. I’m not saying that everyone should stop using Fromm or Evanger’s, if they are having no problems with it then it’s up to them to decide. I’m just sharing my experiences.

#29477 Report Abuse

InkedMarie

Colorado: glad you’re not using those foods, I’m sorry about your dogs and especially your husband. I hope he’ll be okay and make sure you take care of yourself.

#29480 Report Abuse

theBCnut

Any chance the Evangers was Hunk of Beef? I don’t think any Evangers is safe to feed any animal except maybe a vulture, but a couple people have reported specifically about problems with their dog and Hunk of Beef. Though there was some question about whether or not one of them was legit. Evangers is the sketchiest dog food company I know of though.

I hope your husband is fighting this with everything he’s got. Good luck and God bless.

#29497 Report Abuse

Mom2Cavs

I’m sorry about your troubles. 🙁
    I just wanted to add something. I’m not defending Fromm because it certainly could’ve been it that caused the problem, however, I used to feed Evanger’s canned food a lot, especially the Hunk-o-Beef. All was fine until one time I opened the can and even though my dogs still ate it, they all became sick. They all had diarrhea and were just generally not well. I can’t remember what kibble I was using at the time, but I don’t think it was Fromm. Anyway, I had already heard about the owners and their shady practices but was still giving the food a go…..not after that! Now, on another note, I fed Fromm in the past with success. Recently, I was searching for foods which my intolerance/allergy prone Cavalier could eat. Finally landed on TOTW Pacific Stream, which worked fine and will stay in our rotation. I didn’t just want to feed TOTW, though, with Diamond as the company so I decided to try to go back to Fromm. The Beef Frittata was tolerated ok, the Pork and Peas was a no go for sure. Since grains haven’t seemed to be a problem with my dogs I finally tried the Salmon a la Veg, and it’s working great! So it will definitely be our Fromm go to for our rotation….along with the Whitefish. After all this rambling, I just want to say I’m sorry for all your troubles and hope things improve soon. 🙂

#32225 Report Abuse

stanfielder

SO glad I found this thread. We’ve been feeding our rescue Acana kibble (lamb and apple) which has been great for her, but for some reason, I read about how extra-great Fromm is, and we’ve been integrating the kibble (Fromm Gold) (which I bought several months ago but just started feeding her) in with the Acana, and she’s been vomiting (yellow bile in the morning) almost every day.

Starting today I went back to straight Acana and I’ll see if the vomiting stops.

I’m shocked at the report here of how dishonest Fromm was with the tragic inquiry. Lots of what I’d read about Fromm, when I was deeply researching which brands I could trust, singled them out as one of the most trustworthy, like family. Hah!

Please, anybody that knows more about problems with Fromm, continue to post, and I’ll be watching for it.

#32575 Report Abuse

Shell

OMG!! This JUST happened to 3 of my dogs today! Brand new bag opened and 4 days later vomiting and pooping blood. Took ONE to the vet and he tested positive for the same Clostridium Bacteria. The vet said this is NOT contagious and from the food! I called them and they told me the same stuff and to mail them 2 lbs to test. I am so angry! The guy told me FROMM has NEVER ever had a recall on their dog food nor had any reports of illness etc. 200.00 at the Vet later and I am hoping by tomorrow the dogs are doing better. There has to be some thing to do as I know they won’t test the food and even if they did would never say it had anything wrong with it. I should have stopped buying it 2 months ago when I had used half a bag and found the bottom to be FULL of green MOLD!!! My vet said to NOT use this brand again and I won’t. I am so sorry for your loss!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by  Shell.
    #32591 Report Abuse

Shell

I forgot…Mine was the Adult Classic as well. Today they are doing a little better but on a rice and lean burger diet with the meds. I don’t know what to go buy today for dog food!! Used to use NUTRO but thought Fromm was so much healthier. Guess I will go back to that unless anyone has any suggestions. My dogs self feed and we have 2 mini aussie’s a black lab and havenese.

#32597 Report Abuse

stanfielder

Hello Shell! Another slamming indictment of Fromm. I can tell you that since we put our mixed-breed (setter/spaniel) back full-time on the (limited ingredients) Acana Apple and Oat kibble, all is well. It felt wasteful, dumping an almost full bag of Fromm Gold in the garbage, but that’s where it belonged. Shocking! Have you ever tried Acana?

#32598 Report Abuse

Mom2Cavs

First off, Fromm is not immune to things happening, just like any other company. I do think they are more careful, though, in general as they have not had a recall, as of yet. It seems to me if there was mold in a bag of food that there may have been a problem with storage of the food….and it got damp enough to cause mold, who knows? Anyway, I would have switched foods immediately and contacted Fromm right then and there. I use Fromm for my 3 dogs and 1 cat. I am using their 4Star line. I’ve used their Gold Senior for a short while for my old girl, but just decided to stick with Salmon a la Veg for all dogs. No problems, yet, and I’ve bought many bags. I also use it for my cat. She eats their grain free Gamebird for cats. I also use their canned food for all with success. I’m sorry you had this problem. If you don’t trust Fromm to test some of the food, then perhaps you or your vet could have some of it tested, to prove it was the food causing the issues. Sometimes a food just doesn’t work for dogs, as well, and even though the food is a good one that works for others it gets the blame. Fromm is not the only food this has happened with. I’m not saying this is your case, but it is often the case. Good luck to you and I wish your dogs well. I will continue to use Fromm for now….because it’s working great for my dogs and cat. 🙂

#32605 Report Abuse

Mom2Cavs

It’s funny, but Acana limited ingredients food doesn’t work at all for my 3. So, it just goes to show that it just depends on the dog. You could have the top food in the world and it won’t work for some dogs.

#32615 Report Abuse

JASTECH

Interesting, I feed over 400 lbs. of Fromm every month to my doggies and no sickness as described. What is Date on bag of food you all had the problem with? Also the Lot # printed on tag will help. Wonder how long the stores had the bags of food you all bought and if they mopped the floor after hours getting the bottom of bags wet?

#32616 Report Abuse

Shell

My bags date is 2015. I am sending my sample to a Vet school for testing. What flavor do you use?

#32627 Report Abuse

JASTECH

Adult Gold to most of the yard, today started two dogs on Game Bird Recipe which is grain free with duck, turkey, quail and pheasant with fruit & veggies (29/17). I have fed most of what Fromm makes in a kibble to the yard.

#32629 Report Abuse

Mkapella

I’m so sad but also happy that I’ve found this forum. We have been feeding our Italian Greyhound and our Silken Windhound Fromm Adult Classic for at least 4 years. About A week and a half ago our IG started looking lethargic – I thought it was because it was so cold out, or maybe he had caught a cold. Well, he was looking worse, so I took him to our vet, who found he had a bad infection and was anemic. Long story short – he died last Friday. since then, our Silken Windhound has not been eating the Fromm, which I didn’t suspect until now- I thought she was grieving, but she has been eating her raw turkey necks, just not the Fromm. Tomorrow I’ll contact our vet to have her tested to make sure she is OK, and I’ll have the food tested. I’ll never feed her Fromm again, and will be looking for a new food. I still have the lot number from the Fromm food.

#32630 Report Abuse

Shell

Which Fromm and what was the expiration date? I AM SO SORRY for your loss!! I found a place you can contact to send the dog food for testing. Please send it here and NOT to Fromm. I do not trust them after the email the first poster got about her food being normal when she had not even sent it in. Call them and tell them what your wanting tested. They are VERY nice!! Please update with any results on your dogs or the food.

Lynchburg Laboratory
    4832 Tyreeanna Road
    Lynchburg, VA 24504
    Phone: (434) 200-9988

#32631 Report Abuse

Shell

JASTECH mine was the same as first poster….Adult.

#32632 Report Abuse

Mkapella

It was the Fromm Pork and Applesauce- four star nutritional s. I don’t have the expiration date because I discarded the bag, but I just bought it recently. The tag number is: 72705 11402.

#32633 Report Abuse

Mkapella

And thank-you for the Lynchburg Lab information- I will send some food for analysis.

#32641 Report Abuse

InkedMarie

Mkapella, I’m sorry for your loss.

#32648 Report Abuse

Mom2Cavs

Mkapella, I’m sorry for your loss. Everyone with the Fromm issues….please keep us informed. I’m using Fromm with success and I haven’t had any problems, so far. I’m very interested in all this, of course, and I will stay vigilant….just like I do when I use TOTW.

#32654 Report Abuse

stanfielder

Mkapella: My heart breaks for you. Very brave of you to contribute here. Will follow any updates. Do take care.

#32656 Report Abuse

theBCnut

If you believe that your dog is having an issue that is caused by something wrong with the food, any dog food, you should always report it to the FDA, and if your vet also believes it was the food, your vet should report to the FDA as well. Recalls don’t get started if people don’t report, so no one is looking for a problem.

Always, always, always keep the bag until the last morsel of food is gone.

#32663 Report Abuse

Mkapella

Shell, I hope your dogs are better today!

#32669 Report Abuse

Shell

Thanks YES they are all finally eating pumpkin and rice. They won’t eat the new dog food I bought yet. PattyVaughn how do I go about contacting the FDA? Has anyone else on here that has problems contacted them? I am waiting for my sample I send to VA to be tested. If it comes back positive I will have more proof. I hope all your furry kids are doing well!!

#32673 Report Abuse

https://www.safetyreporting.hhs.gov

there is the link to the FDA to report any dog food issues too

#33594 Report Abuse

Sunnybeach

Sorry to hear about anyone’s pet becoming ill or passing!

Fromm has a great track record and makes quality food! If other food wet/dry was fed, that is more likely the cause! Evangers was mentioned! I question that brand! Vomiting/diarrhea can be from many things! Bacteria getting into our pets can come from many places! Maybe look at treats also! I have to agree could have been storage of the food! I use Fromm on one of my dogs and use their Grainfree 4star line! My other dog has special dietary needs and has other food! This is the first I have ever heard of anyone questioning Fromm or having issues! Some pets just don’t tolerate certain foods! Some can develop intolerance or allergy! To a specific protein or any ingredients! Some can become very sick. Very surprised here! All I can say about Fromm testing the so called food, they made a mistake in your instance or maybe they tested other batches!

#33595 Report Abuse

Sunnybeach

Colorado, sorry about your husband! Was glad to hear that the Fromm food you ended up having tested came back negative!

#33596 Report Abuse

Sunnybeach

Shell, I don’t understand if you found mold in a bag of food at the bottom, why you continued to feed it? For sure a packaging/storage issue I would think. Glad things are better.

#33597 Report Abuse

Sunnybeach
    #33599 Report Abuse

JASTECH

Colorado, A prayer was said for your husband.

I am very sorry for those who are dealing with the loss of their dogs.

I will be contacting my dist. of Fromm dog food for further assistance or maybe the volume of Fromm the yard goes through mite get me a call from mfg.

Thanks, JASTECH

#33670 Report Abuse

Debbie

We just opened a new bag of Fromm’s chicken a la veg last night. Tonight two of my three dogs got sick. My boy who just recently bloated vomited just after eating. My girl who bloated several years ago, but is tacked, started bloating. Luckily I ran her up to my vet, we made her vomit and stopped the bloating. She was full of gas. Could this be from the new bag of food? My boy only gets frozen Bil-Jac in the morning, but the girl’s get dry and Bil-Jac am and pm. I am afraid to give them anymore from this bag!

#33682 Report Abuse

theBCnut

I wouldn’t feed it.

#33687 Report Abuse

If you live in a state with humidity, you have to keep the dog food in the house in an air-tight container. The humidity will cause mold and other issues with the food. Especially food with any game bird ingredients. Also, always empty your dry food into a holding container when you get home. That way, if you have a problem, you can return it to the store.

#33712 Report Abuse

Shell

Sunnybeach, The green mold was the bottom half of the bag! Once I got to it I stopped and took it right back to the store. The food I sent in for testing came back negative for 2 bacteria. Has me baffled. After reading all these stories I will not use fromm again. Especailly after how they treated me when I called them. Please take the time to send food to the site I listed for testing if your dogs get sick. They are wonderful and there is “something” that is making all our dogs sick from the same food. Sheryl I will start doing the storage container so I can see all the food. Hope all your pups are healthy!!

#33717 Report Abuse

Mom2Cavs

I do that, too, put the food in a food grade container, making sure to clean well after each batch of food, and I keep the bag just in case. I like seeing all the food.

#33760 Report Abuse

Sunnybeach

Debbie,

Were you feeding something else and then started the Fromm? Did you transition? If not that would be the issue I would say! Or maybe they have a intolerance/allergy to something in the food! I have heard of some dogs getting gas from their reg lines. In those instances it was the dog not bad food! Some pets don’t tolerate some foods well. Doesn’t mean the food is bad, just not right for yours!

Sorry for your troubles Shell. Oh I understand your story better now! Glad the food was negative! Mold in a bag is awful though! Still wonder how that happened? Maybe at packaging, shipping or storage? I am so surprised you were treated bad by customer service at Fromm! So shocked! Sorry! Have you tried contacting their owner?

Again sorry anyone’s pets got sick! 🙁 After reading everyone’s stories. I don’t think it’s because Fromm has bad food! Tests came back negative on it! There was other outside factors involved! Other foods,treats,environmental,viruses, allergies or intolerances? The link I posted before explained that bacteria and it’s many causes!

I do feed Fromm grain free 4 star line and have never had a problem! Thank god! I do trust this company and their history! I don’t care for their gold line though. My personal reasons, no other! That seems to be what many have posted on! Some dogs just don’t do well on it. There are many that do good though! If I ever have a issue I would post about it and contact all the right places! Thanks for the info on testing foods!

I just hate to see a good company get a bad rap on their food, when there is no proof it’s the food! Or keep people from trying Fromm. Definitely something made your pets sick! Wish we knew what? The bacteria was a outside factor obviously, throwing up or diarrhea can be virus/allergy/intolerance or not transitioning a new food! As well as gas!

My cat has had Fromm grain free kibble and has never had any issues either! I change up brands sometimes for variety! My other dog use to eat Fromm and loved it! Only took him off it cause he ended up needing food without potatoes of any kind and poultry free! That left Fromm out! 🙁

#34426 Report Abuse

GSD Owner

I found this thread because I was looking to find out if anyone else had had problems recently with the Fromm Adult Gold. We started our German Shepherd on this food as a young pup at the recommendation of a local pet store owner BECAUSE they had such a great track record with quality control. We have been so happy with the food until yesterday when we started a brand new bag of it. My dog gets her breakfast mixed with a half can of wet food every morning and cannot wait to eat it. Yesterday morning was the first serving from the new bag and she gave it quite a sniffing and turned her nose up at it. Eventually she was hungry enough that she did go back and eat half of it. Later in the day she vomited twice and had diarrhea. She typically has very solid stools. Additionally, she has refused to eat any of the food since no matter what is or is not mixed in. At first I was of the opinion that it might have been something else, but her refusal to touch the Fromm and ready acceptance of anything else that we feed her leads me to believe that we got a bad batch. I will be running to pick up a different food for her today. I cannot find a batch number on the bag, but the best by date is 07/27/2015, followed by B07 09:54. I hope that this is helpful to others. I will look into reporting the issue further. Hate to make a claim on this company, but I won’t mess around with the health of my dog either.

#34427 Report Abuse

Debbie

Thanks to everyone for their advice on the Fromm’s Chicken A La Veg we were feeding. We returned the bag to the store and they credited us the bag. We are now feeding Fromm’s Tunalini grain free and everyone is doing great on it! I truly believe it was a bad bag of food. I also am grateful that we switched because I think all of them are doing better on the Tunalini grain free food. We have not noticed near as much gas!

#34465 Report Abuse

Patty5

I have been feeding Fromm Adult Gold since last September 2013. I have 4 dogs. I add boneless skinless boiled chicken breast, peas and carrots to the presoaked kibble. This week one of the dogs looks at the food and walks away. Today she told a couple of bites and won’t touch it. She has been quite. Not herself. The date on the bag is 7/14/2015- B050103. Is anyone else having similar symptoms?

#34472 Report Abuse

JASTECH

Keep us posted. Seems there was an issue with the Fromm Classic according to posters here. I did talk to my dist. I have a few sick dogs and had some pass away last week, I believe it was the supplement I was testing.

#34473 Report Abuse

Dori

OMG!!! This is tragic. By “some pass away last week” how many do you mean? What supplement you were testing?

#34478 Report Abuse

JASTECH

Under normal circumstances, the body’s immune system keeps this bacteria under control and at a level which doesn’t result in “accidents” in the house and difficult to pick up yards.
    Mild cases of Clostridium difficile result in the unformed, watery stool that we see almost every spring and just can’t seem to stop with a single dose of antibiotics. A more severe case of this bacterial overgrowth causes diarrhea that contains blood and mucous, abdominal cramps and can also cause an abnormal heart rhythm.
    All too frequently, this is when the discussion starts about problems with what we are feeding or problems with the dog feed. Often, people change the brand of feed that they are using thinking that the changing feeds will solve the problem. Unfortunately, this change of feeds won’t solve the diarrhea problem and may even make the problem worse. Changing feeds can disrupt the normal intestinal flora and allow the Clostridium an opportunity to flourish.
    The overuse of antibiotics may well be one secondary cause of the proliferation of Clostridium D. in that the use of antibiotics may alter the normal intestinal flora and increase the risk of developing Clostridium diarrhea. Actually, limiting the use of antibiotics can lower the risk of developing Clostridium D. diarrhea.
    Clostridium D., as the cause of diarrhea, is confirmed by the presence of a toxin in a stool sample. A positive culture for Clostridium D. without a toxin assay is not enough to make the diagnosis of Clostridium D. associated disease as the sole cause for the diarrhea since the bacteria is a normal resident of the intestinal tract.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 208 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.