Favourite Dog Food

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Favourite Dog Food

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Dale F

What is your fav dog food?

#147897 Report Abuse

Patricia A

Primal freeze dried and Stella chewys freeze dried as a topper with rotating Stella Chewy’s Ancient Grains and grain free as a small base. Bixbi Rawwbles as treats. When available they also are fed home cooked boiled chicken, fish, steak, salt free string beans, raw carrots and their favorite pieces of watermelon. Along with plenty of walks and no vaccinations after boosters at a year my dogs are all healthy.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Patricia A.
    #147901 Report Abuse

anonymous

I would go by the recommendations of a veterinarian that has examined your dog suggests.

There is no perfect dog food, it all depends on what is best for your dog.

That being said, we like Fromm 🙂

Go here for science based information http://skeptvet.com/Blog/

#147987 Report Abuse

Cannoli

My favorite dog food is one that does not cause allergic reactions for my pup.

So my favorite is currently prescription Royal Canine with the #1 ingredient of corn starch.

#148035 Report Abuse

Nadia K

Patricia,
    Which Primal and Stella patties do you use and what kind of dog do you have? I feed my bichon one meal of Stella patties. We are using the chicken right now but I have noticed a major increase in her itching. Some of the proteins are very high in fat which concerns me. But my pup loves the Stella patties. I just got the Primal turkey and Sardine to rotate with but haven’t used it yet.

#148049 Report Abuse

Patricia A

Hi Nadia..I stick to the Stella’s freeze dried that are the 5* ones on the advisor reviews. I believe the reason for the lower ratings is the higher fat. So I use the venison blend, turkey and rabbit and chicken at times since I feed them boiled chicken breasts or thighs when that’s what we’re having.
    With the Primal I use the turkey/sardine and duck and just bought a small bag of rabbit today since I think it’s lower in fat.. I stay away from Primal beef and lamb and chicken since advisor gave only 2.5 *’s and again I think because it’s high in fat.
    I have two Chihuahuas’. My nine year old tends on the chubby side even with long walks. Now with winter coming she won’t be getting as much exercise. So I started to give her little chunks less of the pattie/nuggets. I add that to my five year old Loli, who doesn’t tend to put on weight, and just give a little less kibble .Their kibble base is Stella’s in the raw coated and now the grain inclusive that I rotate. So I give Tia a little less kibble also. Treats I buy a bag of Bixbi Rawblles .

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Patricia A.
    #148113 Report Abuse

Nadia K

Patricia,
    Thank you so much for your response. My Lacey is an 11 pound bichon so I always worry about anything with too much fat. I also just got a bag of the grain inclusive Stella kibble to try. How do your little chi’s like that kibble?

#148117 Report Abuse

Patricia A

They loved it. I got the chicken because they tend to get lose stools with anything beef. i imagine the fat in it is too much for them? I only say this because if I given them a little chop meat they get the loose stools. Now when I buy ground beef I get the 90% lean and then I make sure I drain well and absorb any left over fat with paper towel. But I never give it two days in a row. They are fine with boiled chicken breasts. But if I give any dark meat of the chicken/turkey for two days in a row one either throws up or gets diarrhea. But they NEVER have any stomach issues with any of the flavors/proteins I rotate in Stella’s or Primal.
    I wrote the advisor and asked for a review of the Stella’s new grain inclusive. I was always giving them the small breed kibbles size in the Stella’s GRAIN Free raw baked coated. But now on rotation (grain inclusive/grain free) the grain inclusive at this point only comes in the larger kibble but ended up giving less. It takes longer for them to chew so satisfies them more I think.
    I also saw on their f/b page that they came out with the grain recipe in raw coated now. Also new limited ingredient kibble.
    https://www.stellaandchewys.com/kibble-for-dogs/

#148124 Report Abuse

Nadia K

Thanks for the review Patricia. Since the DCM scare I have been trying out different kibbles to see which one my pup likes to put in her rotation. The Stella Ancient grains is next on our list. I also recently ordered the Stella Tantilizing turkey freeze dried patties. Unfortunately I think there is an error on the reviews. In the freeze dried dinner reviews it is rated 5 stars which is why I ordered it.
    https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/stella-chewys-raw-freeze-dried/
    However, if you look at the frozen raw they are only a 2.5 star which is probably correct due to the fat content.
    https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/stella-chewys-raw-frozen/
    All the other freeze dried and raw patties match in terms of stars. So for now I am giving my pup one chicken patty and one turkey patty to balance it out a bit. I am glad Stella seems to be releasing so many great new products to choose from.

#148134 Report Abuse

pugmomsandy

Nature’s Logic dry, Pro Pac Ultimates Chicken and Brown Rice Puppy (because I buy small kibble), Stella & Chewy freeze dried, K9 Natural freeze dried. Tiki Dog and Weruva wet food.

#148138 Report Abuse

Patricia A

Thank’s for that info Nadia. Think I’ll email and ask about the discrepancy. You know I was thinking that since I started feeding the turkey Stella’s, that’s when Tia started gaining weight. They do get a little TOO excited I notice when getting the turkey one. So probably is higher in fat. lol . So i’m right on just breaking pieces off of the turkey for Tia . Like you I don’t give one flavor/protein exclusively.
    I don’t know what to believe with the grain free and DCM. Don’t believe Chihuahuas’ or Bichons’ are breeds that are showing as affected. But even without the DCM in play I don’t know if grain or grain free is better for dogs. So being that they did great with the Stella’s grain free and now the grain inclusive I feel better about just switching it up with both and also feel better with feeding them two different brands of the freeze dried.
    Don’t think I worried so much about what I was feeding my kids when they were growing up. lol

#148142 Report Abuse

Lisanna

I feed my dog TLC kibbles with a topper of chopped up ribeye steak. I am admittedly hopelessly confused about dog nutrition , though. None of it makes any sense to me.

#148145 Report Abuse

anonymous

I also add a topper, boiled chopped up chicken meat and a splash of water. Been doing this for several years. So far, good results.
    PS: Chopped up boiled egg is another one.

#148152 Report Abuse

Nadia K

Patricia, I totally agree with you. I spend so much time stressing over the best food to feed my pup. LOL !!!

#148192 Report Abuse

Patricia A

Anonymous chopped up boiled egg for them also. That’s their breakfast. I understand adding the shell bits crushed is a very healthy source of protein and calcium. Just can’t get myself to do that since I HATE when i’m eating eggs and find a shell. lol But since most of the time my husband makes the extra one for them for breakfast, I’m SURE there’s pieces of shells in there. lol

#148202 Report Abuse

Kathleen C

My dog was eating Weruva kibble for a long time, and loved it, until I couldn’t get it anymore. Pet store said company stopped making it in kibble. I then changed him to Grandma Mae’s kibble which he also loves. Recently he had to have some teeth pulled in a teeth cleaning session so I’m thinking of changing him to Weruva canned because soft would be easier for him now. I get it at the little boutique pet store in town. The owner is very careful about what she carries (no China stuff or recalled foods in her store). It’s a bit expensive and she’s giving me a nice discount, but I can still get it cheaper through Chewy’s. I hate to do that to her but money is tight for me like everyone else and those little cans really add up, especially when you’re feeding more than one can a day.

#148618 Report Abuse

a c

For my senior dogs with pancreatitis history, I rotate between Annamaet Lean and Canidae less active formula. For my two year old, I rotate between Horizon Legacy and I and Love and You chicken and duck.

In addition, I also add steam fresh vegetables, organic chicken tenderloin & chicken broth with ginger, sardines in water, and some wet food to the kibbles. Sometimes, I also add boil eggs and a few pieces of Ziwi Peak air dried venison to the mix.

#148626 Report Abuse

RRLOVER

Kathleen C -when our one dogs fractured his carnassial (the big molar) and had to have it removed , the veterinary dentists suggested that we just soak his kibble overnight in water in the refrigerator. The kibble maintained its shape but was soft enough that it didn’t scrape his sutures. He healed perfectly.

This might be an option for you if expenses are tight and you don’t really want to change foods.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.