Does loud music bother or harm dogs?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Off Topic Forum Does loud music bother or harm dogs?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Orwellian
    Participant

Do you crank the tunes when you drive? When your dog is riding with you, can you tell if the loud music is bothering him/her? My dog does not seem to mind, and I’m always getting better at identifying and reading her signals and body language. She does not seem to feel different whether it’s loud or not. I still wonder, though. Maybe it actually does bother her, or even damage her hearing. My speakers are good, not harsh or screechy, at least not to humans. I don’t blast the bass. I only use one subwoofer, but I’m thinking of upgrading to a 12″ 700RMS in a ported box. (That means it will be loud, but not enough to hear a block away.) Anyone else crank it up in the car with the dog? Any effects on the dog?

And can they test whether loud music bothers dogs? How would they, or how do they, test for that?

#86477 Report Abuse

anonymously

Edit: Maybe this post is a joke? If so, I regret responding to it. If not, please consult a veterinarian with your concerns before subjecting any animal to what you have described.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by  anonymously.
    #86563 Report Abuse

JeffreyT

“Like humans, dogs can have noise induced hearing loss.”
    http://www.drjeffnichol.com/?p=2494

#86565 Report Abuse

Orwellian
    Participant

I know what you both are saying. Dogs hearing is so much stronger and more sensitive than ours. Here’s the thing. When I turned it up really loud, and I did that briefly and just once, when it was really loud, my dog showed stress signals. She was panting, agitated, and she looked tense. I turned it down immediately. She felt better. It was still loud, though. What I’m really wondering about, I realize, is whether the comfort level of a dog is the same as the safety level for that dog.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by  Orwellian.
    #121401 Report Abuse

Bill J

I would not play loud music around dogs. I know they don’t like it, and it causes damage to their sensitive ears more so than it to a human. Only play audio at a super conservatively low volume around dogs.

#121405 Report Abuse

Orwellian
    Participant

Hmm. My post got deleted. Basically, I upgraded my system and had it professionally installed and tuned. Now it sounds better at a lower volume that it used to at a higher volume, so there is no need to wonder how high I can turn it up, because it sounds good at a lower volume.

#121443 Report Abuse

salena s

Dog Protection Training
    The pooches preparing instruments gladly advance security canine preparing contributions. This limit can be educated to the littlest or the most essential mutts of any breed excepting developing. An unsafe flighty pooch in the home, nonetheless, a safe solid defender. Excessively numerous mutts strolling shoes give this transporter aside from a full information of the impacts of the use of erroneous or in-others conscious instruction techniques.
    For more info about dog training add . and com with the site which is written below.

Dogstrainingtools

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  salena s.
    #123353 Report Abuse

Bill J

Dogs can go into a sleep like state even when harmful stimuli are present, such as loud audio. They just like to be around their humans even though the conditions might not be optimal. Dogs cannot tell where loud sounds come from and have a difficult time with them. It is best to only play audio at a super conservatively low volume around dogs.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.