šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Derek g

I’m sorry if this has been discussed, but I can’t seem to find it anywhere on this site. I’m looking to switch my dogs from Acana Pacifica to a more budget friendly, comparable brand (I know, its going to be extremely tough to find – but the price in Hawaii is killing me on a single income!). Has anyone heard of this brand (WholeHearted)? It looks like it’s a Petco exclusive brand, and is relatively new. When looking at the ingredients on Petco’s website for the WholeHearted All Life Stages Dog Food – Grain Free Salmon & Pea, 25 lbs., I noticed Canola Oil is pretty high up there on the list of ingredients. Is that reason enough to not choose this food? I haven’t seen an actual review of the food anywhere, or an actual analysis of the ingredients.

I’ve included the link to the food (http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/wholehearted-grain-free-lid-salmon-adult-dog-food#), and the ingredients list from their website is below. I’d love to hear opinions of WholeHearted (and, of course, any other alternatives to Acana Pacifica, one might have!). Until then, I’ll keep combing the board for other suggestions, and also so I don’t ask any redundant questions. Thanks friends!

Ingredients
    Salmon, Salmon Meal, Lentils, Pea Flour, Chickpeas, Peas, Canola Oil (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Tomato Pomace, Sweet Potatoes, Flaxseed, Natural Flavor, Salmon Oil, Salt, Choline Chloride, Dried Chicory Root, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium Animalis Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Reuteri Fermentation Product, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate (Source Of Vitamin B1), Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Ascorbic Acid (Preservative), Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source Of Vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid.

Guaranteed Analysis
    Crude Protein 26.0% Minimum, Crude Fat 15% Minimum, Crude Fiber 5.0% Maximum, Moisture 10.0% Maximum, Zinc 150 Mg/Kg Minimum, Selenium 0.3 Mg/Kg Minimum, Vitamin E 150 Iu/Kg Minimum, Omega-6 Fatty Acids* 2.5% Minimum, Omega-3 Fatty Acids* 0.4% Minimum, Total Microorganisms* 1,000,000 Cfu/Lb Minimum (Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bifidobacterium Animalis, Lactobacillus Reuteri In Descending Amounts), *Not Recognized As An Essential Nutrient By The Aafco Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.3,625 Kcal/Kg (339 Kcal/Cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy

#89517 Report Abuse
    David O

Too bad that you cannot keep your dogs on a quality dog food. The ingredients list salmon meal as number 2 in their list. I thought when it listed a meal that it was something on the do not use list. Best of Luck.

#89518 Report Abuse
    David O

I think I am wrong about when it lists a meal after the animal product. Maybe it was by products I was thinking about. I don’t know.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.