šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jerry F

My wife makes homemade white rice and cooked Liver for our Dogs. My 7yr old Westie was diagnosed with Diabetes 2 weeks ago and has already gone blind with Cataracts.
    Is the White Rice and Liver (along with a small amount of wet Cesar’s) a good diet for low sugar high protein?

#97437 Report Abuse
    anonymous

“Is the White Rice and Liver (along with a small amount of wet Cesarā€™s) a good diet for low sugar high protein?”

That doesn’t sound like a good idea. What does the vet that diagnosed the dog recommend?
    Prescription food may be your best bet, at least as a base. If the dog is overweight, start walking, decrease intake, increase activity. That’s what I would do.

#97439 Report Abuse
    Jerry F

The Vet hasn’t addressed this yet. She is a Westie that Weighed 25 lbs 45 days ago and now she weighs 17.7. We are trying to put weight back on her.
    I am new to this and am trying to catch up.
    We have made their food (Rice/Liver) for about 2 years to eliminate skin issues and it worked. I understand that the White Rice may not good for low sugar production.

I have an appointment his afternoon and will inquire about the Royal Canin Diabetic Canned.
    I walk her 4 times a day at least.
    Thank you for any help!

#97440 Report Abuse
    anonymous

That is a significant weight loss in a short period of time. Don’t be surprised if the vet wants her on insulin. I would write down your questions for the vet. Good luck.

#97444 Report Abuse
    Jerry F

She has been on insulin for about 2 weeks. Went blind in one week.
    Humulin 6 units 2 x daily.

#97445 Report Abuse
    anonymous

See if the vet will refer you to a veterinary endocrinologist. This sounds serious.
    I have a cairn, cousin to the westie, they are very sweet dogs.

#97511 Report Abuse
    elaine c

guys, the food you are feeding causes many of the problems you are talking about. I have two pitties, I am a pro trainer.. I use Answers pet food. It is miraculous and I talk about every chance I get. It has saved many a sick rescue. you guys with diabetes and other things mentioned go to Answers pet food. If you like what you see, email them and ask them how to transition your dog over. This food is so unique ans special. It is fermented.. read why this is so important on their site. The royal canin is still filled with carbs… this is not good. You caned just give white rice ( not good anyway) and liver… you are missing so many parts of his diet.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.