Which food for thin, high-energy English Setter?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Which food for thin, high-energy English Setter?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Patricia P

My 4 yr. old ES weighs about 35 lbs. and is, of course, very high energy. I would like a high quality wet food that will put some weight on him. Thanks for any suggestions.

#77389 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I’d either google for how to make satin balls or add canned to whatever he eats.

#77390 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

Broil him some chicken liver, chop it up and add a spoonful to his meals, it’s an organ meat, high in fat and calories…..so maybe not everyday. But they love it as a treat once or twice a week.

#77392 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

You can also add coconut oil to his food. It’s very high in calories so it will help him gain weight, but it has good health properties as well.

#77394 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

How about a scrambled egg, (made with water not milk) cooked in a little vegetable oil added to the kibble…….real food is always better than canned as a topper.

PS: Cooked chicken breast or lean meat chopped up, I shop in the reduced price section of my market, have not had any problems yet. Usually I freeze first.

#77404 Report Abuse
    Kristin C

Patricia-I have used modified satin balls to put weight on my chihuahua/whippet. 1 lb 80/20 ground beef, 1/2 jar unsalted peanut butter, 1 cup cooked oatmeal.

#77483 Report Abuse
    Patricia P

Thank you all for these wonderful tips! I have several of the ingredients suggested on hand. Kristin, will try your recipe for satin balls. You all have been very kind to help me out on this.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Patricia P.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.