🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    brandon s

I have an 7 month old husky/malamute puppy and I’m still trying to find the best food for my dog. does anyone have any ideas, he is somewhat picky

#89168 Report Abuse
    GSDsForever
    Participant

Hi Brandon. Have you had a chance to look through the 4 and 5 star foods here? Checked them out locally/via online etailers (or direct buy), asked for samples?

What have you tried so far? Do you have brands in mind?

I don’t think there’s one best dog food out there for all dogs (and if someone tells you there is, be very suspicious! 😉 ). Neither is that commonly suggested by longtime posters here.

Rather, we can often tell you what has worked for our dogs and why, and what we look for and value in feeding. All other things being equal (but that is a BIG caveat), ideally I personally prefer a well-designed homemade diet of fresh foods with high quality ingredients.

If a kibble, I have brands I prefer and brands I don’t for a number of reasons. But I have a GSD. And, honestly, I’ve fostered a Siberian mix, and found her diet, exercise needs, training needs very different from GSDs and tending-herding breeds — more familiar to me.

As far as pickiness goes, while the samples should help, in a medium to large (or giant) breed, I don’t allow pickiness. I take into account preferences, but I don’t let my dogs get super fussy/demanding and dictate what I feed (without good cause . . . like cancer) and don’t recommend it. Feed 2-3 x day and pick up the bowl after 10-15 minutes.

Does your pup put on weight easily or stay lean?

#89314 Report Abuse
    Alex J

Hello, I am in need of some advice on small dog. I have two small dogs a 10 year old miniature Doberman pincher and a 9 year old miniature dachshund. The dachshund is a puppy mill rescue we adopted a year ago. The problem I am running into is my dachshund came to us with all his teeth pulled out and he refuses soft foods, so I have to buy extra small dog food. The minpin has allergies and has a sensitive stomach. he is generally an itchy dog and has asthma so I can’t risk him having a reaction to his food. Right now they eat Royal Canin mini special dog they seem to be ok with this but I would like to add variety and don’t know which ones are best. Please help

#89361 Report Abuse
    Susan W

Brandon & Alex –
    I have a 10 y-o Golden and a little rescue mutt about 7 y-o. The little one tends to be itchy and very sensitive to foods. I have them both on VeRus dog food. This food has a 4 Star rating from this website and is on Bark Post’s list of 15 foods that have never had a recall. This food is made/packaged/sourced in the US (except for the lamb formula which uses lamb from New Zealand). If you go to their website, you can fill out the contact form & converse via email with a human who will help you choose the food that is right for your dogs. After that, they’ll send you free samples.
    My dogs have BLOSSOMED on this food. I can’t give you the exact website here but just do a search for verus pet foods. You won’t regret it.

#89367 Report Abuse
    Anice H

Hi I am getting my malamute puppy in 5 weeks time I know the breeder feeds them lams puppy food please I would appreciate your impute on this brand or if there is another one I should try

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Anice H.
    #89371 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Anice,
    Go to the Diet & Health Issues forum here on DFA & read the stickie on Large Breed Puppies on the top.

#89456 Report Abuse
    brandon s

Whatever you end up feeding your puppy try to add fish of some sort to its diet such as canned tuna-Salmon

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.