What oil to use for skin coat

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Supplements What oil to use for skin coat

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jo C

My senior gal has dry skin but she doesn’t itch but her skin is dry and hair is brittle you can say and sheds ALOT!

I have been giving her coconut oil with her food but to me I do not see any difference unless I am not giving her enough coconut oil. I also feed her good quality brand of dog food that she loves. I was maybe looking into other oils to mix with coconut oil, any suggestions?

#97329 Report Abuse
    anonymous

I add a fish oil capsule to my dogs food once a day, nothing fancy.
    I wouldn’t use coconut oil, too high in calories.

Hope this helps: http://skeptvet.com/Blog/?s=coconut+oil

PS: Is she getting enough water? Add a splash to her meals, or some plain homemade defatted (nothing added) chicken broth.

#97407 Report Abuse
    Jo C

anon- Yes, she gets a lot of water so she is good on that. I have some salmon pills but I hate to pop it cause it gets everywhere. I don’t really think one pill would help her though 🙁

#97408 Report Abuse
    anonymous

I just toss the fish oil capsule in with the meal (one a day) I don’t pop them. The dogs just eat them like a snack. It’s just a supplement, I don’t expect it to do that much.
    More isn’t always better, some supplements have side effects.

#97413 Report Abuse
    anonymous

How was her lab work? Thyroid imbalance might explain dry skin/hair. Then again it could just be age related.
    But I would rule out medical, if you haven’t done so already.

#97446 Report Abuse
    Jo C

Anon101- lab work was good 🙂 the doctor was very pleased by her looks for her age and said hopefully his dog would look like her. Besides her shedding she has always shed but for the longest time I gave her Pedigree 🙁
    I has been on good quality kibble with good homemade food and I plan on doing the same for my newest member Snoopy 🙂
    I believe it’s her age and also I just need to continue giving her fish oil and coconut oil and eggs. Also, I thought I read giving the pills just like that is not good???

#97448 Report Abuse
    anonymous

I used to stick a pin in the fish oil capsule and it would squirt on the wall and end up in my hair, lol.
    Have been giving the fish oil capsule whole for a few years now, the capsule is usually made of a gelatin substance that is easily digestable.
    Check with you vet, I could be wrong.

I wouldn’t give egg shells or any other raw foods, due to the risk of salmonella and such, just my opinion.

#97806 Report Abuse
    Marie P

This one works great for skin and coat. Natural salmon oil from Alaska for dogs and cats, Good quality is the key http://amzn.to/2oaZQsY

#99211 Report Abuse
    Michael M

I personally use Moringa Oil on my dog’s coats. Most of them don’t need it, but one my rescues had a serious skin condition. The oil is really healthy, although I will say it doesn’t smell the best. And for this oil, you apply it directly to their skin, not orally. Massage it in and leave it there for a while, and then wash after a couple hours.

It has anti-inflammatory and exfoliating properties due to the high amount of Vitamins in it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.