šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Rachel M

My dog is allergic to chicken, turkey, duck, fish, and eggs. Oddly enough, he is not allergic to ostrich, emu, pheasant, quail, or pigeon.

How about your dog?

#56268 Report Abuse
    neezerfan

So far, beef and turkey, but still investigating.

#56271 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Thankfully, my dog has no true allergies. However, he is definitely very intolerant of fish in any form (including fish oil), flax, chickpeas and lentils. I hope there are no others. Fish and flax show up very frequently.

#56280 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I have no idea…not even sure if it is allergies making Lily itchy, or if it is food allergies. A pet store employee told me to avoid chicken, beef, and grains. I am basically just trying to find one food she is not allergic to, and go from there with eliminations. When we first got her she was on IAMS, which had both beef and corn, and her allergy symptoms were no worse than they are now.

#56284 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Chicken in any form, including eggs, all grains, tomato, flax.

DogFoodie, I think for a tool like this, allergy, food hypersensitivity, and food reaction are all one. After all, the point is to avoid that ingredient with all of them.

#56296 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Peas is the only thing for sure so far. Still working through a few other things

#56297 Report Abuse
    Dori

Chicken in any form including eggs. Turkey. Quail. Pheasant. All grains. Lamb. Goat. Rabbit. I avoid foods that contain corn, soy, white potatoes, rice in all forms. These are the ones that come to mind this moment. I know there are others, I’m drawing a blank. I’ll get out my list in the morning and add the others.

#56301 Report Abuse
    Naturella

I had commented on another thread with wrong info – my dog IS allergic to something in his rabbit-based kibble, and I am not entirely sure what – he has had a small raw rabbit neck before with no issues, but the NVI rabbit kibble made him very sick. I need to check what it is in the ingredients that he’s never had before, but for now, I will go with rabbit, I guess.

#56302 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Potatoes gives a bad rash on his chest & hive like lumps all over skin & bad diarrhea
    Sweet Potatoes itchy ears starts shaking his head & scratching ears
    Peas gives real bad wind & abdomin pain

#56314 Report Abuse
    Tammy C

My little dog is allergic to so many things. I’m having a terrible time finding a food she can eat.
    I’ve had her tested and this what has come up: beef, salmon, poultry mix (chicken and turkey), pork, venison, eggs, milk, soybean, corn, wheat, lamb, rice, peanut, flax, oat, barley, white potato, brewers yeast, kelp, alfalfa, fish mix (catfish, cod, herring, mackerel, white fish), sweet potato, green peas, duck. Some others things that tend to affect her are bananas and rabbit. I just tried her on a canned rabbit food and she reacted but I’m not sure if it was the rabbit or an ingredient in it. It listed liver but didn’t specify what type of liver.
    At this point I’m open for suggestion. Her new name is Bald Butt Bella, poor little thing is just so busy scratching it almost brings me to tear.

#56330 Report Abuse
    Elsa R

Fortunately, my dogs are not allergic, yet šŸ™‚

#56331 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Lavender scented Gain laundry detergent! Ha ha! No food items yet, that I know of.

#56333 Report Abuse
    Zach M

Nothing bad here. Ginger has allergies to pollen but no food allergies, thankfully.

#56334 Report Abuse

Chicken. Molly scratches her eye and leg terrible on it.

#56339 Report Abuse
    Kristin C

My dogs sneeze a lot but I think it’s environmental. I avoid rice, potatoes, and limit sweet potatoes in their diet.

Tammy-your dog sounds allergic to everything. Have you tried buffalo? Tripe?

Aren’t dogs usually allergic to foods they eat too much of? Or is it a compromised immune system that needs to be built up?

#56345 Report Abuse
    Tammy C

Kristin,
    That and pheasant is what I am trying next. There is some great information regarding food and environmental allergies. She’s only developed these allergies in the last year. She’d been allergic to fleas but it has evolved into so much more.

#56352 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi Tammy. Keep an eye on your dog if you are trying pheasant. Pheasant is fowl are all with feathers. If she’s allergic or intolerant to chicken and turkey she may have issues with all fowl. I’ve got an allergic/intolerant girl to very many things especially all things with feathers and their eggs and their fat. Originally I thought it was chicken, then chicken and turkey. Then chicken, turkey, pheasant, quail, chicken fat, turkey fat, eggs. You get the picture.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by Dori.
    #56358 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Hey Tammy, Rachel, who started this topic, made a tool for dogs with allergies tat might be helpful: /forums/topic/so-i-made-a-tool-for-dogs-with-allergies/#post-56326

#56389 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Boone seems to react to chicken. Everything else is a guess on my part.

#58568 Report Abuse
    Tammy C

I’ve looked at the tool the one person developed. It listed everything she was allergic to plus more.
    I had thought about my little dog being allergic to pheasant, being it is a fowl, and I was right. She did end up having a reaction to it.
    Now I have her on a limited ingredients food, with the main item is Buffalo and brown rice. She seems to have a reaction to this food also but not as severe.
    I was thinking if anyone would know. Is there a supplement, (lack of a better word) to help with the symptoms.
    I already give her a generic liquid form Benadryl, (which helps) but I’m concerned with side effects of long term usage.

#58572 Report Abuse
    Kristin C

Wow-may I ask what your dogs symptoms are when you say allergy.

#58595 Report Abuse
    Tammy C

Her symptoms are red skin, hives, constant itching of skin and paws, bad body odor, and dark circles around her eyes, ears are inflamed and oozes with yellow gunk, and shaking of head. She also has things like pimples or pus pockets and blackheads. Plus chews off her hair/fur so that she looks bald. I think her anal glands look swollen at times when she has a severe reaction.
    Now someone had told me about a product that is in a powder form, called something like, Dinovin or Danovin, but I can’t remember exactly. I’d looked it up before and it seems like it would fix the symptoms. But I don’t get paid until the 1st of the month and I’m out of town currently and I would have to pack it home.

Does the name sound familiar to anyone?

#58623 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

It was DinOvite and it does not work miracles. I like the product, but if you are feeding your dog something that it is allergic to, or if there is an ingredient in DinOvite that your dog is allergic to, it is not going to do anything for your dog. If you get your dog off whatever is causing the issue and DinOvite does not have anything that your dog reacts to, it will help your dog’s skin repair and grow a nice coat back. If your dog’s allergies are ALL environmental, it will help a little with that, but it will NOT cure your dog.

#58633 Report Abuse
    Tammy C

I appreciate the feedback. Thank you

#58638 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

You’re welcome!

#59709 Report Abuse
    CockalierMom

My dog has environmental and pollen allergies, and I have recently discovered any food with tapioca starch causes her to have severe scratching at her ears, eyes, chin and neck, and chewing on her legs. I was beginning to think she was allergic to almost all foods until I realized the common ingredient was the tapioca starch.

#61733 Report Abuse
    jane t

My dog is a Havanese and he is allergic to poultry mix, barley, chicken, flax, corn, sweet potatoes, and turkey. We are DESPERATE to find a food to help him stop scratching. It is so awful and he has no fur on his back. HELP PLEASE!!!!

#61751 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Jane,

The first one that comes to mind that you might want to take a look at is Nature’s Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Diets. It’s been a saving grace for my dog.

#61756 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I second Nature’s Variety L.I.D. I Just checked and their lamb and rabbit formulas and both are safe.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by Dog_Obsessed.
    #61763 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Jane, have you looked at “K9 Natural” its NOT a kibble with all the binders to bind the kibble, it has limited ingredients, they have either freeze dried or they have raw, it was invented for dogs with bad skin problem, here’s their site… http://www.k9natural.com/
    I’d try the Venison, it’s worth a try..

#61768 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Jane,

K9 Naturals is an interesting product.

I looked at it a couple of years ago for my Golden with food intolerance issues. My first concern was cost. For my Golden who weighs about 80 pounds, it was going to cost me about $15 per day, which is a whopping $450 per month. I typically feed him 2.5% of his body weight when I feed raw. That’s more than I’m comfortable spending. I could feed a commercial raw food for less. The calories for the products vary quite a bit, for example the venison has 196 kcals / per cup and the lamb 330 kcals / or cup. My calculations were basex on prices at Only Natural Pet (dot) Com.

It has a lot of fat, and in most cases more fat than protein. And, for my dog, the additional starch from the added vegetables would likely result in a yeast flare up in his ears over time.

#61789 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi jane t:
    I don’t know if you read the first page of this forum where this is mentioned, but you may find the Dog Food Wizard tool helpful. Here’s the forum thread discussing it and there is a link in the first post from Rachel M to the Wizard. Good luck!!

/forums/topic/so-i-made-a-tool-for-dogs-with-allergies/

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.