šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Martin G

So this morning I woke up to him in his kennel with throw up everywhere. Has gotten 2 sets of shots. The only thing I did different was try to switch him off his old food so a 60/40 split. I took him to the vet and they gave him two shots one for infection and anther for the vomit. Also prescribed antibiotic
    Said to feed white rice, plain yogurt, cottage cheese, and baby food mixed together. He’s not eating that and he’s not drinking anything so I gave him 3 syringes of plain yogurt. But he’s still now drinking anything. Please help

#86470 Report Abuse
    anonymously

Call the veterinarian that examined him and ask that he call you back (today) when he has a minute. If the vet tech speaks to you, that’s nice, but I would insist on speaking to the veterinarian. Puppies can go downhill quickly, he may need subq fluids and IV medication (not a big deal) to get over the hump. I don’t know what testing he has had but more may be indicated to properly diagnose and treat.
    It is not unusual to call within 24 hours of a veterinary appointment with additional questions or concerns. Be prepared to bring him back in……if you wait till after hours the emergency clinic will be your only option.
    Let us know what happens.

#86471 Report Abuse
    Freddy w

Yes!!
    Call that Vet —->>>. STAT !

#86512 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi, dogs are very smart when they are sick, they rest their stomach & bowel & don’t eat, so they heal quicker, the vet should of given you a few packets of electrolytes, you boil water cool water in a jug & add 1 sachet electrolytes to cool boiled water & give 20ml syringe every hour or follow instructions on packet, I don’t know if dogs can have the baby electrolytes, children electrolytes have flavours orange or berries so no good, ask vet?? but don’t worry about your boy not eating he will eat when he’s ready also I would not give the yogurt especially when you feel sick it could make him feel worse, let stomach rest for a day or 2, the only thing I’d be putting in the syringe is the electrolytes ring vet or go back to vets & ask can you buy a couple packets of electrolytes, you wont have to pay for a consult again, I just ask the vet nurse & she normally goes & see vet & ask then comes back & will do what vet says…
    When he’s feels better he’ll eat so feed 4 small meals & cook some chicken breast cut into small bite size pieces, put in pot of cold water on stove, stir & take off just before chicken pieces boil, the chicken pieces will be cook, try 1 & see if you over cook chicken its goes like leather hard to chew, add some boiled potato or boiled sweet potato about 1/4 cup to 1/2 to 1 cup chicken breast pieces, it depends how big your pup is??…….Bolied rice can irritate the bowel with some dogs, potato is more safe till you find out, can he eat boiled rice……. what ever kibble you were introducing take back & get something else, what was the kibble you were introducing?? also you follow what it says on kibble bag you feed 1/4 cup new & take away 1/4 cup old kibble, you do this for 2-3 days then 3-4th day add 1/2 new 1/2 cup old kibble see how he’d doing, if poos are still firm after 2-3 days on 1/2 old & 1/2 new kibble & poos are firm, add 3/4 cup new & 1/4 old kibble cause he’s very sensitive take 2 weeks to introduce the next new food…He’ll be OK are you sure he didn’t eat something else being a puppy??

#86516 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

60/40 is way to fast to switch a new puppy. Put him back on the old food for a couple weeks, then try again MUCH SLOWER.

#86517 Report Abuse
    anonymously

Just a food change would not have caused such an extreme reaction in an otherwise healthy dog. I don’t even bother with a transition if the foods are similar, you may see a loose stool or two, that’s it.
    Of course the recommendation is to at least 1/2 and 1/2 it for a few days.

Hope you’ve been back to the vet and your dog is feeling better.

#86524 Report Abuse
    Martin G

Thank you Susan. I’ve taken him back to the vet and they gave him IV fluids but this morning he is exactly the same. The vet did say to only give plain yogurt until he pooped. And we are thinking that he swallowed something since he was fine two nights ago. Now it’s been 24 hours and he shows no signs of getting better. The vet told me this morning that we just had to let things run its course. Just reall afraid and thinking he won’t make it.

#86525 Report Abuse
    Martin G

Hey thank you, I took him back to the vet like you said to and they gave him fluids and was seeking to get better but I woke up this morning and it was the same thing in fact I feel like he’s gotten worse. Contacted the vet and she said at this point we would just have to see what happens.

#86526 Report Abuse
    anonymously

I’d try to give it 24 hours, if no improvement or symptoms are worse….back to the vet. He must have gotten into something toxic, his body should be able to flush it out (with the treatment received).
    I have 3 adult dogs and I cannot leave them unattended even in a fenced-in backyard.
    They are like 3 year olds (mentally). They put everything in their mouth.

Just the other day I saw a hawk swoop down, it was going for the smallest dog, luckily the other dog chased it away.

PS: Did they do an x-ray to rule out a blockage? I am sure the vet would have mentioned it if he thought it was important. Some vets don’t though, as they know people can get upset about the cost.
    You did say the pup was underweight, so there could be something else going on.

#86529 Report Abuse
    anonymously

I meant to say 72 hours, for benign things, that is my rule. Did the pup get the usual distemper/parvo shots? I am not big on vaccinations but I usually go along with the recommended puppy shots. I comply with the rabies vaccinations as required by law, otherwise I avoid vaccinations with adult dogs. See what your veterinarian recommends.

#86548 Report Abuse
    anonymously

@ Martin G
    How’s the pup doing this morning, any improvement?

#86550 Report Abuse
    Martin G

He drinks water by him self now and walks around a little more but still not eating. Hasn’t thrown up.
    he’s really tired and skinny. Called the vet and said that there’s nothing we can go at this point will just have to let it run its course.

#86552 Report Abuse
    Kim M

Brown rice and chicken was my go to many moons ago. I haven’t owned a dog in the last 7 years to hear if that was still recommended. Disregard remaining comment if brown rice is no longer recommended.

I once had 3 dogs with the same virus, all diarrhea and vomit for 5 days. Eventually the did eat and the combination did wonders. Sometimes cohercing with chicken to start reminds them of food. Shred it up and after small strips.

#86553 Report Abuse
    anonymously

You could try a little homemade chicken broth, nothing added (not the store bought crap). He either got into something or picked up a virus. IMO (I am not a vet)
    When he is on his feet you may want to consider whatever additional testing your vet recommends. I know, ($) but these things happen and once they stabilize you may get lucky and get a 5 year run with him needing nothing but an annual/routine care/heartworm check etc.

I recommend Nutrisca dry, soaked in water for a dog with a sensitive stomach, just tried Orijen, it’s quality stuff but I think it might be too rich for 2 out of 3 of my dogs. I will continue to use it however as a base, maybe I’ll mix it with the Nutrisca.

#86554 Report Abuse
    anonymously

I agree with Kim M. Dogs LOVE chicken, maybe boil it (skinless boneless chicken breast), keep the diet bland for now.
    How about a bite of broiled chicken liver? I have never seen a dog refuse that.

#86555 Report Abuse
    Kim M

If you don’t boil the heck out of it it, Chicken does contain a fair amount of moisture. I would personally stray from broth unless it’s purely homemade and very low on sodium (as it won’t help with dehydration).

#86556 Report Abuse
    anonymously

Yes, bring a chicken to a boil for a couple of minutes in a big pot, lower heat (way down to lowest setting) simmer covered for 3-4 hours, let cool, put the covered pot in the fridg, skim the fat off 24 hours later, debone the chicken and freeze in small baggies for individual servings. You can use the chicken as a topper for the kibble.
    You should have a quart of broth to last a few days.
    It’s messy and a bit of work but cost effective.

#86648 Report Abuse
    Martin G

Just wanted to give y’all an update. It got to 84 hours and didn’t get better so I contacted my breeder with everything the vet had said and she told me to go ahead and take him to anther vet for a second opinion since my original vet wasn’t really helping anymore. So as of to today he has been diagnosed with parvo. Something thing that is very odd to me because the first vet did the same test ad the second and didn’t say he had parvo. He has been hospitalized until he gets better for now.

#86649 Report Abuse
    anonymously

That’s why I mentioned those “puppy shots”, they are vulnerable to parvo/distemper the first year of their lives.

I hope he makes it. Ask the vet, but he may be immune to parvo from now on if he survives this.

Keep the updates coming, I’m sure everyone here will be sending positive thoughts his way.

PS: You can request a copy of the lab work results from the first vet to be faxed to the current vet that is treating your dog, for comparison. I know this isn’t a priority at the moment…

#86651 Report Abuse
    anonymously

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/?s=vaccinations

I have found this site very helpful.

#86699 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Martin, I’d be contacting the first vet & telling him your dog has Parvo…. When I first rescued Patch I thought Patch had Parvo, when I rung vet for appointment, I was told I wasn’t allowed to come thru their front door, I had too come thru a side door & wait in a room just Patch & me…. I asked the vet how will you know its Parvo vet said temperature, he’ll have a high temperature as well as the diarrhea blood & vomiting… My Patch ended up having IBD not Parvo but I know a few dogs from the dog park who have had Parvo when they were puppies & now they are grown up they do have very sensitive stomach/bowel, I wonder if Patch my rescue dog, did he have Parvo as a pup now causing his IBD…..

#86776 Report Abuse
    Kim M

Any update on this little one?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.