🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Sandi S

I work in a large steak house and can get unlimited amounts of cooked beef. Filet mignon, NY strip, rib eye and prime rib. I wash them very well before use. I also get sweet potatoes. I know the cuts of meat all have different percentages of fat and protein and that is my biggest concern. Also what else do I need to add to make a complete daily balanced dog food. If I completely stop feeding dry dog food what is the best way to keep my dogs teeth healthy? She doesn’t get cooked bones, Should I give her raw bones? Also I read that she needs raw chicken and egg shells? occasionally I also give her chicken and salmon that I get at work I’m trying to keep this as simple as possible.I refuse to feed my dog cheap dog food and I really can’t afford the better dog food on the market. It is hard for me to throw it all this meat away! Thanks to anyone who can help 🙂

#54954 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Lucky you!! Dogs need calcium in their diet, that’s what they were talking about with the egg shells. You can either feed consumable raw bones(which are great for teeth) or eggshells with each meal. For bones, they need to be 10-15% of the animal portion of the meal. For eggshells, it’s 2 shells for every pound of meat.

They also need organs. About 10% of the animal portion of their food should be organs. Half of that should be liver and the other half should be other secreting organs. Heart coulnts as muscle, but kidney, spleen, etc. count as organs.

They need a regular source of omega 3s. The salmon should cover that as long as it isn’t too overcooked. Or add an Omega 3 supplement, 100mg of DHA and EPA combined per 10 lbs of body weight daily.

They need vit E and D, zinc and selenium, manganese, and a whole food supplement would be good.

If you want an easier way to do it, they sell premixes for boneless meats. Look for The Honest Kitchen Preference, See Spot Live Longer Dinner Mix, or Dr. Harvey’s Veg to Bowl fine ground.

#54966 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

You’re not feeding the salmon raw, are you?

#54999 Report Abuse
    Sandi S

Thank you so much for the great information! The salmon is cooked when I get it. Considering everything that you told me, I think the premises are for me. Lol
    I appreciate the great recommendations !

#55941 Report Abuse
    Kristin C

Hey Sandi – you are lucky! What I would look out for is feeding your dog too much from one source, beef (50%-does anyone disagree?), and be careful on too much sweet potato, starch. Raw poultry bones once or twice per week and one of the base mixes BC mentioned (THK or SSLL) are good. I would add organ meat to the beef in proper proportion, as well as other meat sources. Canned sardines once per week are good, but as long as you are feeding cooked salmon that’s sufficient. I would personally never feed raw salmon or pork.

#55942 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Everyone else has helped you with your questions, but I want to know where you work! I may have to get a job there, lol!!

#55943 Report Abuse
    Kristin C

Me too:)

#69159 Report Abuse
    Susan K

Can I substitute pink salmon for sardines?

#69161 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Sardines have bones included, so for salmon, you have to add a calcium supplement.

#69165 Report Abuse
    Susan K

Thank you! What about canned salmon ?

#69166 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I believe the canned has bones in it, so it would not need calcium added, but watch the sodium levels on canned salmon. Also remember that salmon, as one of the longer lived fish, is more likely to have heavy metals in it or be affected by Fukashima, so don’t feed it too often.

#69176 Report Abuse
    Susan K

Will stick to sardines:) thank you so much!

#147943 Report Abuse
    Cory E

Hi there,

For one, you shouldn’t give your dog raw food or bone. Here’s why: https://goldenretrieverlove.com/can-dogs-eat-steak/. In a nutshell, raw food may contain salmonelly, and E-coli.

Secondly, you should be careful and avoid giving him raw bone or any kind of bone for that matter. Bones are a choking hazard to dogs despite the perception that dogs are keen on eating bones.

I would suggest to ask the vet the best diet plan for your dog, and how much meat/steak he should have per week.

#148629 Report Abuse
    Chipy
    Participant

Hey Sandi, so happy to hear that you refuse to feed your dog processed food. I agree with Kristin to look out for feeding your dog too much from one protein source (beef ), and also to be careful with too much sweet potato (starch). I use Dr. D’s recipe maker and natural supplements to create balanced meals for my pup. https://recipemaker.peterdobias.com It helps me build healthy recipes with the ingredients I have available. Love it! 🙂

#157857 Report Abuse
    Sarah D
    Participant

I’m also having a lot of meat left of my grill https://grillguru.org/best-gas-grill-under-1000/#product1
    But I’m afraid to give it to my dog, only a little. Thinking it’s too fat-heavy.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Sarah D.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.