What canned food do you use?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Canine Nutrition What canned food do you use?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    InkedMarie

I’d like to start adding canned food to Ginger’s kibble; what canned do you use?

#10999 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Marie –

When I used canned food my favorites were Tripett, ZiwiPeak, Nature’s Logic and Nature’s Variety Instinct.

#11000 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Thanks HDM! I rarely use it but I think I want to add some to Gingers new food when it gets here

#11031 Report Abuse
    dowsky

Inkedmarie Evangers and Merricks make some good grain free canned foods. My dogs love the merricks tripe and the evangers pheasant.

#11033 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Dowsky: awhile back, Evangers got caught: in some of their canned food, the protein listed on the label wasn’t in the can. So, it’s not a product i’m comfortable feeding. I may try the Merrick though, thanks!

#11034 Report Abuse
    dowsky

thanks for the word I didn’t know that.evangers is off my list…..

#11035 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

When I’m on my computer tomorrow I’ll try to find the link

#11040 Report Abuse
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I had been using various Merrick grain free and canned Tripett, but now I’ve moved on to Weruva Human Style. It’s excellent. Human grade meats, free range, no hormones, etc. I was buying it locally but it was really expensive. I’ve found it on Amazon considerably cheaper with free shipping. They have kibble in the morning (Brothers, Acana grain free) topped with canned Weruva. One can split amongst three dogs. Dinner is Darwins raw. They love it all and seem to be thriving.

#11047 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

The only thing I don’t like about Weruva is that it’s made in Taiwan (I think that’s where I read). I’d prefer USA made

#11050 Report Abuse

Hi Marie,
    Have you looked into “The Whole Pet Diet by Andi Brown?” She has a new line of canned dog and cat food…made in the USA with human grade ingedients. I’m thinking of placing an order.
    I did buy her Best in coat which is a blend of essential fatty acids. And I’m happy with it.

#11060 Report Abuse
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Marie, yes, Weruva is made in Thailand (with some in the US), and I’ve looked into it quite a bit. Thailand is not China. Thailand has very rigid standards on human and pet food. Much of the world’s human food is processed in Thailand. Weruva’s facility produces human and pet food, is ISO9001 certified and meets even the British Retail Consortium (BRC) very high standards. Also the US FDA recognizes the Thai FDA. From all I have read, I am satisfied that the processing plants are as safe as possible. If you’ve heard anything specifically against Weruva and/or Thai food production, please let me know because everything I’ve read is very positive.

#11070 Report Abuse
    LabsRawesome

Hi Marie, it may be beneath you, but my 2 dogs love Kirkland Cuts in Gravy. It is a Costco exclusive. $18.69 for a 24 can pack. It receives 5 stars from Dr. Mike. It’s grain free and ALS. I go thru 4 cans a day, as I am trying to feed a more species appropriate, moisture rich diet. I add some fresh protein too, and a small amount of a 5 star kibble.

#11071 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Hi Honeybee, no, I’ve never heard of her but i will look, thank you. Valerie, I didn’t realize Thailand had such strict standards, that’s good to know.
    Labs, no Costco around here do it’s not even an option.
    I was at a pet store I like and got a case of Wellness 95% salmon, 30% off. Pretty good deal.

#11077 Report Abuse
    LabsRawesome

Marie, that sucks! I love Costco. 🙁

#11084 Report Abuse
    shibasenji
    Participant

The only canned food I like is Weruva. And yes, it’s made in Thailand, not China (for the record, Taiwan is not China either, but I don’t know any Taiwanese-manufactured pet food that is distributed overseas). We’ve tried some other brands, but most of them are so pasty and stinky, I don’t think it’s worth the money. My two dogs aren’t picky, so the only reason I feed canned is to add variety and moisture, but I can take care of that in other ways — dehydrated raw, refrigerated soft/wet brands, or prepare my own blend of homecooked or raw.

#11109 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Over the years I have used many different brands of canned food as toppers for my dogs’ kibble. Currently, I’ve been leaning more and more on Weruva and Simply Nourish (also made in Thailand, but I don’t think it’s the same factory as Weruva…). I have tried others intermittently but keep coming back to those 2 brands. I recently bought some Merrick because they had a great deal going at my local Petco (buy 12 cans of Merrick, get a 5 lb. dry free). I wanted to try Merrick kibble in the rotation so I bought the cans. The dogs like it and do fine on it, too, so I will probably continue to buy it off and on. Now…after all this, I’m considering switching all my dogs to Primal and Stella & Chewy’s freeze dried (I rehydrate it). My oldest Cavalier is on some meds for syringomyelia and it makes her mouth/gums have issues sometimes so she stopped wanting to eat kibble or chunky canned food. I bought some Primal FD and rehydrated it for her and she loves, loves it! So…I may be either adding some to the other dogs’ kibble or switching them entirely like Stella.

#11111 Report Abuse
    Shawna

Ohhhhh Jan!!!! I hope her syringomyelia is well controlled!!!!! What a horrible disease! I watched a British documentary on show dogs and they emphasized the issues of a few breeds – Cavalier’s and syringomyelia being one. I bawled so hard that I had to stop the video as I couldn’t see thorugh the tears!

Praying for her!!!!

#11166 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

We’ve been using Weruva, Merrick Classic, Merrick GF, sometimes Merrick WEF, Addiction and Wellness Stews and some Wellness Core. Oh and still use Tripett. Mine will also eat kibble topped with Honest Kitchen.

#11167 Report Abuse
    Mike P
    Participant

Sandy
    We have used all the above with the exception being Weruva.With out a doubt though she loves Tripett the best.She gets excited when the can gets opened.I ordered a case of Tripett from doggiefood,com and waited 8 days with no delivery.Status showed shipped.I called UPS and they told me to call the shipper.I called and they said it was on back order.I cancelled and ordered from pet supplies.com They send me emails everyday but could not email me about a back order.Lame to say the least

#11168 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Oohh Mike!
    Let me tell you my Doggie food.com story. On November 27th, I ordered eleven 4 pound bags of Nutrisca, which was their special of the day. On December 1st, I get an email saying it’s been shipped, with a link to check the status, which says it’s arriving December 5th. It doesn’t arrive so on the 6th, I call. They tell me they “ran out” of the food because it was a special but two loads were due. Nothing showed up, then they tell me the following Friday. That was last Friday, I get no email saying it’s been shipped so I called last Saturday and they say it didn’t arrive. I cancelled the order and don’t think I’ll be dealing with them again.

#11175 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

The only problems I’ve had when I order Merrick cases is that some of the cans in the middle of the case are dented! How does that happen? Or do they purposely put dented ones in the middle of the case??? Or are Merrick cans weaker than others? None of the other cases I ordered (or very few of the cans) had dents.

#11177 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I would say that they put the dented ones in the middle on purpose or else they’ve got the screwiest machine malfunction I’ve ever heard of.

#11184 Report Abuse
    Mike P
    Participant

What ticked me off the most was the “oh well” attitude on the phone.Like a take it or leave it tone.Not cool with me.I give and expect good customer service which seems to be lacking with them.I will probably use them again because I like the flat rate shipping thing.Grrrr

#11185 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Mike: Yep, I understand that as well. First time I called, he was kind of huffy, explaining why they ran out (daily special). What does that have to do with emailing the customer and telling them it’s on backorder? Second time I called, I wanted to cancel but he talked me into waiting, going on about the great deal.

#11188 Report Abuse

We use a variety of canned-Fromm, Vet extension, Blue Wilderness tend to be favorites. I have also used 4health canned chicken in the past. I find the dogs much prefer the days that I use the prepared commercial raw or the Grandma Lucy’s however.

#11193 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

@Shawna, thank you for the prayers! They are appreciated! As for her SM, yes it is something Cavaliers can have (not the only illness prevalent for the breed, as MVD is one of the main ones, but very unfortunately SM is becoming almost as prevalent :(…). Stella will be 12 years old in Feb. and that is quite a long life for a Cavalier, actually. I have had her since she was 5 years old. Around 8-10 years old I suspected a mild case but the vet I went to at the time didn’t know very much about Cavaliers. She was also x-rayed once and I was told she had bone spurs. I thought at the time maybe some of her symptoms were attributed to those, but now I’m not so sure. She has not been MRI’d, which is the only exact way to diagnose SM, but my holistic vet said that her symptoms seemed very much like SM and she was sure that the neurologist they work with would just look at the symptoms and diagnose her….so, we decided to give her Gabapentin and see if it helped. We started out at a small dose but had to increase it to 3 times a day. She seems to be doing fine with this dosage right now. Sometimes other meds are added, like prilosec, but Stella isn’t taking any others atm. Her blood panel was very normal, so she really is doing fine right now, considering. Stella was a therapy dog for 5 years and a show Champion when she was 18 months. She never had any pups, mating just never took, and in hind sight with the SM diagnosis it’s a good thing. She is my special girl and very, very bonded with me (they all are special and are all bonded with me lol!). I know I will be devastated when “that time” comes.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.