What can you recommend food for my 8 year old golden retriever

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health What can you recommend food for my 8 year old golden retriever

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Inah A

I just had my dog take a blood test and when it came the creatinine level is slightly higher. The maximum for normal is .80 and he has .83. Besides the creatinine the hematocrit is also low (beacuse of the creatinine). Currently he is on antibiotics plus nefrotec for kidney supplement and polynerv and is on a table food diet. What can you recommend like a list of natural food i can buy so i can cook for him in the current situation?

Thank you so much for helping I highly appreciate it.

#90869 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Inah-

Did you discuss a diet change with your vet? It may or may not be necessary to change his diet, so I would discuss this with your vet before starting a homemade diet.

#90870 Report Abuse
    Inah A

I said to her that ever since my dog is on a table food diet. She suggested like liver, boiled chicken or pork is good too just no salt or salty foods allowed.

#90871 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Those lab values are not concerning (imo). I agree with above post. Ask your vet as to how to proceed.
    I am sure he would return your call if you leave a message for him to call you back when he has a minute. That is one of the the benefits of sticking with the same vet/veterinary clinic.

#90872 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Right, look for lean meats, such as skinless boneless chicken breast. Some meats are high in sodium. Personally, I avoid pork.

That being said, I would use a quality kibble as a base. Homemade diets are often lacking….
    http://skeptvet.com/Blog/?s=homemade

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by anonymous.
    #90874 Report Abuse
    Inah A

Is beef okay as well? Thank you again. I will call the vet so I can ask as well for other options. Just want my dog for all his values to be normal level

Thanks again!

#90875 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Yes, as long as it is lean and you cook it and chop it up, sometimes I just stir fry with a little water. I shop in the reduced price section for meat at my local supermarket (for kibble toppers). I have been doing this for years without any issues. I find stuff like shaved steak etc You can freeze it.

PS: I am a vegetarian, I don’t eat the stuff myself.

#90876 Report Abuse
    Inah A

Thank you! Will try to look for other lean meats as well.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.