đŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Sharon A

I have a toy poodle who is rubbing his eyes a lot, and they darken the hair under his eyes??

#87489 Report Abuse
    anonymously

I would have a veterinarian take a look and diagnose, he may be developing a conjunctivitis which is highly contagious, wash your hands a lot.
    It may be allergy related, food may have nothing to do with it.
    In any event, if it is conjunctivitis it would respond to a prescription antibiotic ointment, left untreated, more serious problems could develop.

PS: The pruritus indicates an infection may be developing vs a simple discharge. Eventually the water discharge you describe could turn cloudy (pus) and a variety of colors.

#87490 Report Abuse
    anonymously

I have used this product for minor eye irritations/dogs. Terramycin is a mild antibiotic eye ointment available without a prescription (it was the last time I ordered it).
    However, I would get the dog examined by a veterinarian first.

http://www.entirelypets.com/terramycin35gm.html?mr:referralID=cba49513-3948-11e6-bd9f-00505694526f

#87493 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Sharon, does your dog suffer environment/food allergies?? this will cause itchy sore eyes, mouth etc, start looking at an antihistamine, join this Face Book group & I can post the anti-histamine chart for dogs, brands & doses… also vitamin C is a natural ant-histamine.
    “Dog issues, allergies and other information support group
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/240043826044760/

#87550 Report Abuse
    anonymously

Please, do not use over the counter medications or supplements without the approval of a veterinarian that has examined the dog.

You could cause harm.

#87558 Report Abuse
    Caroline J

I promise if you switch the water to ONLY DISTILLED WATER, after several weeks the stains will be gone permanently. I got a bichon poodle mix puppy and disliked the eye stains…did research and tried the distilled water right away. She is now 8 months old and has zero stains. At my local supermarket the distilled water is .69 a gallon and that lasts me over a week or so. For less than .07 cents a day it is the cheapest and it is by far the safest and most important is really WORKS!

#87559 Report Abuse
    anonymously

Infection needs to be ruled out first. (In response to above comment)

PS: A visit to the vet is the only way to rule out and/or treat infection.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by anonymously.
    #87563 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Poodles are known for entropion, which is an inward growing eyelash, which can cause damage to the eye if not treated appropriately, so first have the eye checked out.

#87593 Report Abuse
    anonymously

Yes, entropion needs to be ruled out. I had one dog that needed surgery to correct it. First one eye, then the other (simple procedure). Another one that responded to a steroidal ophthalmic ointment…the condition didn’t come back. I suspect it was due to the groomer accidently nicking the dog.
    Both were toy poodle types.
    It is often referred to as “cherry eye” it is obvious because you will see an inflamed bulb at the inner corner of the eye sticking out. It looks worse than it is……however, untreated it can lead to infection and pain.

#87594 Report Abuse
    anonymously

Definition of Canine Cherry Eye

“Cherry Eye in Dogs, more technically referred to as the prolapse or eversion of the gland of the nictitating membrane, is a condition where part of a dog’s eye flips over and bulges out from the lower inside corner. As a result, the dog will develop an alarming red mass protruding from its eye. The mass will remain in place until the condition is corrected, and will appear as if the dog has a “cherry” sticking out of its eye (which is why most people refer to the condition as “Cherry Eye”). What causes cherry eye isn’t well-understood, but generally speaking, something weakens the connective tissues that normally keep the third eyelid close to the eyeball. Genetics probably play a large role. While cherry eye can affect one or both eyes, it doesn’t happen in both at the same time. Affected dogs are uncomfortable from eye dryness, swelling, irritation, inflammation and pain. They paw at their eyes and rub their faces on flooring or furniture to try and relieve discomfort. Fortunately, if treated early, cherry eye in dogs will not result in a life threatening situation”.

The above is an excerpt from: http://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Health/Cherry-Eye.aspx

#87595 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Entropion and cherry eye are not the same thing.

If left untreated, entropion can cause blindness.

#87596 Report Abuse
    anonymously

Definition of Canine Cherry Eye

Cherry Eye in Dogs, more technically referred to as the prolapse or eversion of the gland of the nictitating membrane, is a condition where part of a dog’s eye flips over and bulges out from the lower inside corner. As a result, the dog will develop an alarming red mass protruding from its eye. The mass will remain in place until the condition is corrected, and will appear as if the dog has a “cherry” sticking out of its eye (which is why most people refer to the condition as “Cherry Eye”). What causes cherry eye isn’t well-understood, but generally speaking, something weakens the connective tissues that normally keep the third eyelid close to the eyeball. Genetics probably play a large role. While cherry eye can affect one or both eyes, it doesn’t happen in both at the same time. Affected dogs are uncomfortable from eye dryness, swelling, irritation, inflammation and pain. They paw at their eyes and rub their faces on flooring or furniture to try and relieve discomfort. Fortunately, if treated early, cherry eye in dogs will not result in a life threatening situation.

The above is an excerpt from: http://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Health/Cherry-Eye.aspx

#87598 Report Abuse
    anonymously

What is entropion?

Entropion is an abnormality of the eyelids in which the eyelid “rolls” inward. This inward rolling often causes the hair on the surface of the eyelid to rub against the cornea (outer part of the eyeball) resulting in pain, corneal ulcers or corneal erosions. This corneal damage can also result in corneal scarring, that can interfere with vision.

Most dogs will squint, hold the eye shut and tear excessively (epiphora). Interestingly, many flat-faced dogs with medial entropion (involving the corner of the eyes near the nose) exhibit no obvious signs of discomfort. In most cases, both eyes are affected

The above is an excerpt from: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/eyelid-entropion-in-dogs/1009

#87599 Report Abuse
    anonymously

“Entropion and cherry eye are not the same thing”.

No, but they are within the same spectrum of disorders.

#87601 Report Abuse
    anonymously

2. Eye That is not Normal or is Injured

Eye conditions are almost always considered urgent, with some notable exceptions such as cherry eye or tear staining. With eyes, things can happen very quickly, and a quick treatment can be sight-saving in some cases.

The above is an excerpt from: http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/diseasesandconditions/tp/vetemergency.htm

#87602 Report Abuse
    BeachDogs

My Yorkie was diagnosed with dry eye even though his eyes tear a lot. The vet, or tech actually, did a Schirmer tear test. I wish I had wiped his eyes before the follow up test because of course it showed the eye drops were working. I still wonder if his tear ducts are clogged or did not develop correctly. I’m currently testing the drops again to see if there’s an improvement.

I agree to have your vet examine his eyes and go from there. Hope you get it figured out.

#87604 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

With entropion, the eyelid rolls inward and the eye lashes irritate the cornea, so permanent damage can occur. The usual treatment is to do a minor tacking surgery to correct the inward roll of the eyelid. Some dogs actually have an inward growing eyelash that needs a little electrocautery to burn the hair follicle so the lash doesn’t keep growing back.

Cherry eye is an entirely different problem, which is an inflamed gland in the corner of the eye and not so common in poodles as it is in some other breeds, like Cockers, and Pekinese. It also requires minor surgery sometimes, but it’s pretty hard for an owner to fail to notice a cherry eye. It’s unsightly and can cause the eye to not close properly, but it is usually just a cosmetic issue.

A lot of dogs with dry eye also tear a lot due to the inflammation that causes dry eye. It blocks the nasolacrimal duct, so tears run down the face instead of exiting the normal way through the nose.

#87605 Report Abuse
    anonymously

Often one condition can lead to another and then another.

These are opinions, the only way to find out what is causing the symptoms you describe is to go to a veterinarian.

Don’t waste time on the internet when you have a pet that is obviously uncomfortable.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.