šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jodi O

i just joined this website as our family will have a lab puppy in a little over a week. As I narrow down a good puppy food, it got me wondering about quality dog treats. Am I better using a piece of dog food as a treat than bones? I’m sure my lab won’t care! Mike- I wondered what your opinion is. I want to be careful to watch the weight with treats but wonder if there’s no reason to use them if the nutritional value is inferior?
    Thanks Jodi

#85727 Report Abuse
    Jane E

The treat I give around here and have for many years now are Fruitables (crunchy ones) because they are low fat and a great sizeā€¦they seem to address all the needs (older dogs with pancreatitis,younger dogs you are training and you don’t went to increase calories and last but not least can be carried in your pocket without making it greasy)ā€¦just all around great IMOā€¦they aren’t cheap but I ONLY give them when a certain behavior is accomplishedā€¦around here they are always given one when they go in the crate ā€¦no treats just because so they aren’t used freelyā€¦As I was potty training dogs I used these smaller pelletized treats from BilJac and they are the perfect size and they just gobble them up and really don’t have to chew because they are softerā€¦I’d probably use those again if I were to be potty training a dogā€¦.then they would only be used for thatā€¦the moment a dog *goes* outside I click to mark the behavior and give a treat and celebrate by clapping my hands and doing some sort of celebration jig!!! Have fun with the new pup

#85729 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Hi Jodi-

Treats are just that, a treat. They are meant to be a high value reward for training, not part of their daily diet IMO. That is why they should only make up 10% or less of your dogs daily caloric intake so as to not imbalance their already balanced diet. If you are asking about treats for the purpose of training, the higher value the better.

#85743 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Not answering your treat question but wanted to say that you should read the Diet & Health issues forum and look at the stickie for feeding large breed puppies.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.