Vetmedin Shortage?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Vetmedin Shortage?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Karen D

Hi all, Peanut has been on Vetmedin since last Feb. after she fainted & Vet found a murmur…I called today for a refill & was told they had ONE bottle & they could only part with 1/2 of that due to it being back ordered & we are looking at 3 weeks to a month. When I asked what people are supposed to do she said I don’t know but a lot of dogs are going to die.
    I called California Online vet pharmacy & they have some but how do I know if it’s the real deal? I am shocked…..it is already a very costly medicine but to be unavailable???
    Karen

• This topic was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  Mike Sagman. Reason: Changed title from Vetmedin "Storage" to "Shortage" at request of the posting member
    #93553 Report Abuse

Karen D

NOT storage Shortage!!!!

#93554 Report Abuse

anon101

Did you call other veterinary clinics in your area to see if they have the med, how about the emergency place, they should be fully stocked?
    Ask your vet about veterinary pharmacies, some are okay. Your vet can fax them a prescription, the vet may ask you to sign a waiver.
    I have used that California Pet Pharmacy in the past without problems for heartworm pills.

https://www.avma.org/public/PetCare/Pages/online-pharmacies.aspx

PS: Is she due for an annual exam? Maybe the vet wants to re-evaluate the dog first, regarding the need and dosage of the med before refilling. Check labs, etc.

#93555 Report Abuse

anon101

Tips for Buying Pet Drugs Online
    Order from a Web site that belongs to a Vet-VIPPS accredited pharmacy. Vet-VIPPS—the Veterinary-Verified Internet Pharmacy Practice Sites—is a voluntary accreditation program of the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP). NABP gives the Vet-VIPPS seal to online pharmacies that dispense prescription animal drugs and comply with NABP’s strict criteria, including federal and state licensing and inspection requirements, protecting patient confidentiality, quality assurance, and validity of prescription orders. Look for the Vet-VIPPS seal displayed on a pharmacy’s Web site or check with NABP (click on “Accreditation Programs”) to find out if a pharmacy is Vet-VIPPS accredited. Because this is a new program, begun in 2009, a small number of pharmacies are currently Vet-VIPPS accredited.
    (excerpt from) http://www.fda.gov/forconsumers/consumerupdates/ucm048164.htm

#93556 Report Abuse

Karen D

anon101 thanks for the speedy reply & info…..We see the vet every month for heart check so that is not the issue. From all sites I checked the manufacturer is at fault regarding the shortage….some sites say end of Jan. some are saying middle of Feb. before they receive a supply….My Vet was out when I called yesterday so I will speak to her today when I pick up the half bottle and find out what I am supposed to do when that runs out, 25 pills is <2weeks worth @ 2X dosing. I spoke to California Pet Pharmacy late yesterday & they do have a 5mg in stock that I can cut in half…..just hoping my vet with send them a script as she is very adamant about not buying online.

P.S. My vet has been giving 😉 me the donated & samples of Vetmedin as we are seniors on a fixed income.

#93557 Report Abuse

anon101

When you see your vet, ask if there is a human medication that’s the same thing, maybe with a different name? Because, if so, your local pharmacy may carry it. My vet called a script for my my dog to the local CVS, I forget which med it was now….
    Edit: I remember, it was liquid prednisone.

#93564 Report Abuse

pitluv

According to my Pharmacology textbook, Vetmedin (pimobendan) is a Inotropic Mixed Dilator and there is only a veterinary label for it. A lot of the drugs in my text do have a human label as well, but it looks as if this one was specifically designed for veterinary medicine.

Karen- There are other Positive Inotropic drugs on the market, but you would need to contact the vet to find out if another drug could be used in place of Vetmedin during the shortage. However, I feel that if that was an option, it likely would have been offered already.

#93566 Report Abuse

Karen D

Thank you pitluv, I will find out today whether there is an alternative or if maybe I can give one a day to stretch it out till the supply is back.

P.S. Wish I could edit title to this thread to read Shortage??

#93578 Report Abuse

anon101

“Wish I could edit title to this thread to read Shortage??

Maybe, if you leave a message for them to change it at “contact us”
    See bottom of page, to the right

#93580 Report Abuse

anon101

Here it is! http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/contact-us/guest-support/
    Re: “Wish I could edit title to this thread to read Shortage??”

#93591 Report Abuse

anon101

Another thought, press the Report Abuse button, then report yourself for making an error and request the correction.

#93662 Report Abuse

Whitney L

I’ve been ordering Vetmedin through Allivet.com for a year and a half with no issue. Try there: http://www.allivet.com/
    It’s also a lot less expensive than what you pay at the vet. I also order my dog’s enalapril and lasix there too.

#93664 Report Abuse

Karen D

Thank you, good to know Whitney L. I picked up the 1/2 bottle yesterday, 25 pills for $38 ouch! They said they would call later to let me know what to do after those run out & they did call & told my husband to tell me not to worry more would be available in a few days. So I don’t know what to think. But sure will look into allivet & california pet pharmacy.
    Does anyone know how it works when the vet gets pills (free) from the sales people who work for the company & then passes them on to those who really can’t afford the monthly cost? I’m sure there isn’t an unlimited supply. I understand they also get donated pills & also pass them on. Thank goodness as this Vetmedin is just so expensive.
    Karen

#93666 Report Abuse

Whitney L

Yikes. Definitely go online and start ordering from Allivet or another similar site (accredited, like someone mentioned above). I pay just under $33 for a bottle of 50. If you put your order on recurring, you’ll save 5%, and orders over $50 get free shipping. You’ll need to input your vet’s information and they can contact directly. I think you can fax your script, but I think it’s easier to let them do it. Their customer service reps have always been pleasant to work with on the few occasions I have spoken with them.

As for the samples at the vet’s office, I can’t offer any advisement on that.

#93686 Report Abuse

Rina S

I’ve been using California Pet Pharmacy for Vetmedin and other meds for over 2 years. No issues at all and prices are better than at the vet’s office. Don’t hesitate. Order before they run out. That backorder can extend beyond the expected availability date of Feb 2017. You never know .

#96766 Report Abuse

Karen D

UPDATE, there still seems to be a problem with the supply of Vetmedin, & I was also informed that there are no more samples, this last full order from vet was the generic( Pimobendan) & cost to me was her cost she said $66….So, I just placed my 1st order with California Pet Pharmacy, now they have a notice on their page regarding Vetmedin supply. Says only one order can be placed every 2 weeks. Anyway, wanted to thank you all for your replies & recommendations.
    Karen

#96793 Report Abuse

Dave G

I’ve been getting 10mg tablets from Allivet for some time and they’ve been out since before Christmas. My vet has has had it available but it has been close to $30/bottle more than allivet.
    My vets solution if it runs out entirely is a compounding pharmacy. Consider asking your vet about doing the same

#96795 Report Abuse

Karen D

Thank you Dave G. I am shocked that the generic version I bought 2 weeks ago from my Vet was $66 for 30 days supply & in capsule form so no splitting a larger dose as I have done in the past with the chewables. I ordered 5mg chewables yesterday from CA pet Pharmacy for $59.99 for 50 pills, which split will give me a much better deal & they shipped them already. Also ordered the Micronazole (sp) from them which was $14.50 from vet for 15 pills, they charged $6.50, plus no tax to me.
    Unfortunately Peanut is 15 yrs old so I won’t be needing to buy these things that much longer. ;-(
    Karen

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.