🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Recent Topics

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Cannoli

So what sort of tests do you all recommend after having a dog on raw along with home cooked food.

I was thinking of maybe doing a stool sample every 4 months to confirm if he has any parasites from the raw food I feed him. Is this valid or am I just wasting my money?

How about blood tests to make sure my pup is not deficient in any nutrients. Do you recommend those too?

#83686 Report Abuse
    anonymously

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/?s=lab+work

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/category/nutrition/

Some good information at this site regarding raw and homemade diets, lab work etc.

#83688 Report Abuse
    anonymously

PS: You are talking about blood work ($200-$400) on a dog that is not showing any symptoms or illness?
    I don’t get it. The routine heartworm/Lyme test every year or 6 months should rule out parasites.
    If you feel that unsure about the safety of the food you are feeding your dog, I would re-evaluate the choices you have made regarding his diet.

#83692 Report Abuse
    Cannoli

Sorry let me clarify. I am asking if there is any blood work that shows nutrition deficiencies. You know like when I get my blood work done my doctor says you are really low on Vitamin D etc.

#83693 Report Abuse
    anonymously

Cbc, thyroid, lfts, electrolytes, etc ($200-$400 for pets) vitamin D is a separate test they have to send out.
    It’s expensive….that is why our drs only order it for humans when they have to. Our insurance won’t pay for it unless it is indicated.
    Also, by the time the lab work reflects abnormal results the damage is usually done, it could take years.
    PS: Beware of any mail-in saliva and hair tests…….BOGUS imo

#83697 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi Cannoli:
    UC Davis Vet School does amino acid analysis and taurine level blood tests:
    http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vmb/labs/aal/index.cfm

However, in addition to any tests I would have my dog’s diet evaluated to determine if it was balanced. If the diet is not balanced catching that early on would hopefully avoid any health issues. You can find nutritional evaluation services at some Vet schools.

Here’s a nutrition service that will evaluate raw and home cooked diets:
    http://petnutritionconsulting.com/

Here’s the ACVN directory:
    http://www.acvn.org/directory/

#83804 Report Abuse
    C L

You can do a blood test. FYI: There will be some too highs and too lows (slightly) to some values, because it’s normal for a raw fed dogs. I just don’t recall which ones will be effected by raw feeding, but not to be alarmed by them.

#84680 Report Abuse
    Aliese C

We have had many dogs and live out in horse country. We are on 10 acres and our dogs have been all over the land. Because we have deer, fox, and many other critters. We have been on raw food for quit awhile. We give our dogs a sprinkle of D.E.(Diatonious Earth) its fossil flour, human grade. Kills any parasites or bugs. Will not hurt the dogs at all. Our old time Vet. reccommended it. You can order on line and do not have to pay big dollars on lab tests.

#85598 Report Abuse
    Nick M

Man above said that all these procedures are expensive, and i agree with him!
    I’m going to order pet insurance for my doggy, so i hope that someone can give me any suggestions here about possible variants. Thanks in advance!

#85599 Report Abuse
    anonymously

What procedures are you talking about? Pet Insurance doesn’t cover routine maintenance or tests that the veterinarian doesn’t think are necessary.

Not only that, but you have to pay upfront and then submit a claim for anything.

If I am wrong someone correct me.

#85610 Report Abuse
    Cannoli

They can pay for routine maintenance as most Pet insurance companies have additional plans that can be added to your pet insurance. Sadly when you do the math you end up paying more for the additional plan that covers maintenance than if you actually paid out of pocket.

I pay about $26 a month but have a high 1,000 deductible on purpose and no Routine Maintenance plan. It covers about 80-85% of the vet bills that are not routine maintenance. So about every year I pay about $312. If my pup never needs to go the the emergency or never needs major vet surgery/care and he lives to about 12 years of age I would have paid about 3,800.

I recommend pet insurance for emergency purposes only. As long as you don’t carry the routine maintenance plan. It’s worth the savings as long as you have a high deductible so your monthly premiums can be very low.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 12 months ago by Cannoli. Reason: typo
    #94132 Report Abuse
    Andrea O

Cannoli you can add ground up pumpkin seeds to diet to avoid parasites. They are said to paralyze the parasite making the worm pass.

#94446 Report Abuse
    Annie J

Thanks for the sites, Bobby Dog!

re: pumpkin seeds-happen to have a source for this information? there are a multiple parasites that our pets get infected with so I wonder how the pumpkin seeds work and for which parasites they target. Hopefully the source will include a dosing strategy that is paired to the life cycle of the worm(s) (guessing gastrointestinal parasites instead of mites, fleas, ticks, heartworms and in turn the swath of blood-borne bugs from the fleas and ticks). Thanks!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics