๐Ÿฑ NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Naturella

@crazy4cats , thank you! And you know, my husband was born in NYC, but raised in Lacey, by Olympia, WA, so he has a soft spot for that state and now I do too – because of him, because of Gray’s Anatomy, and because of its innovation level, some liberties that are unavailable in other states, and I hear there is a lot of undeveloped, relatively cheap land outside of Seattle that is up for grabs! ๐Ÿ˜‰ So we would definitely consider that – the main thing though is to find:
    a. really good ceramics residencies and graduate ceramics programs for the husband to attend;
    b. a university staff/administration type of job for myself (should be relatively easy – whatever school hubs decides to go to, I will apply for a job at, and at nearby universities too);
    c. good “living conditions” – lots of inexpensive land, so we can build a mostly eco-friendly house and a ceramics studio, and have us a nice garden and grow some fruits and veggies, and have some chickens, dogs, and kiddos, all while not being totally in the wilderness.
    So yeah… We will see which state will give us the most on the list… Compromise will be required I’m sure… But hope Washington wins! If not, Maine is apparently also an option (yay for lobster! lol) as it has a good ceramics program somewhere in there. ๐Ÿ™‚

@Dori , true – I would still probably keep track of the temperatures too, as theBCnut suggested. And wow, this is so cool, that you have moved a lot! Where did you live before the ol’ GA? And I actually do not mind the warmth… Maybe not the scalding, humid heat of GA that makes you feel that you enter a sauna when you step outside, but I am not a huge fan of the cold, and I know that in all the places we could go, it will be way colder than in GA, but it is a sacrifice I am willing to TRY to make for the greater good of everyone, lol.

#53178 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi C4C. He lives in the city of Seattle itself. Not all that far from the market area. We’ve been to Seattle often. Love love love Seattle. There’s always something to do and something to see and places are open till the wee hours of the night. I’m a big time insomniac as some who have posted back and forth we me in the wee wee hours already know.

Naturella. I was born in NYC. Have lived in a few areas of that city throughout my life…the East Village, SoHo, Upper West Side. At one time we lived on a boat at the 79th Street marina in NYC (a much younger me and we had a ball). Have lived in New Jersey, California (both Southern and Northern California areas) both as a child and an adult), Boston, Cape Cod, Connecticut, and where we are now is our second home here in Atlanta, Ga. My father used to love to move so I guess I got that from him and kept up the tradition once I left my parents home at 17.

#53217 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Wow, Dori! You have indeed traveled and moved a lot! I love it! Which was your favorite place to live so far? (Last off-topic question, I promise!)

#53227 Report Abuse
    Dori

Well Naturella, I was born in NYC so it’s always a part of me and if I could actually call any place home with all that I’ve moved around it would have to be NYC. But…I loved living in Northern California. The Pacific Ocean and the scenery are stunning. Breathtaking actually. Georgia is the only place I’ve lived that I’m not by an ocean and I miss the ocean very much, be it the Pacific or the Atlantic. Oceans have always spoken to me. Make me feel at peace and centered.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by Dori.
    #53229 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Dori, I see. Thank you for indulging my questions! Have you been to Savannah/Tybee Island in GA? It is beautiful, and so is Cumberland Island! Definitely check them out before you move again, if/when you do! But I see. I really want to visit more of the North-East and North-West of the US and see how they are… Fall is my season, so any place with parks/trees that change colors is where I would feel great. I think for me mountains prevail over water bodies. ๐Ÿ™‚

#53230 Report Abuse
    Dori

Yes I’ve been to Savannah/Tybee Island. Oh, I really love Charleston SC its a really cool fun place. If it wasn’t so darn hot I’d love to check out New Mexico but the sun, heat etc would be way to oppressive for me for any length of time. If your not fond of the cold weather then I don’t think the Northeast would be for you. You’d be better off in the Northwest I think. I’m really a water person, mountains I’ve always felt were too buggy for me. If it flys, stings, pinches or whatever you can bet that it’s me that they will all attack. Always been that way even as a kid. We can all be out somewhere, I come back bitten from head to toe and everyone else is just fine. Not a bite or a sting.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by Dori.
    #53246 Report Abuse
    Kristin D

Hey guys!!! I haven’t vaccinated my dog for probably 3 or 4 years. It’s required to get a rabies vaccination, right??? What vaccines should I steer clear of and which ones should I get????

#53252 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Somewhat depends where you live/what your lifestyle is like. Rabies however, is most likely the law

#53258 Report Abuse
    Dori

Rabies is the only vaccine that is required by law especially if you have licensed your dog in your county. Depending on the county in the USA it’s either one year or three years. Just check it out with your county as to which they require. It’s not by State but by county. All other vaccines are strictly up to you, your situation and your preference. Don’t let any vet convince you other wise. Do your research as to the other vaccines. You can also have your vet, when yearly physical time comes around, do titers. It’s more expensive than the vaccines but you don’t want to vaccinate a dog that already has all the immunity needed. Unfortunately rabies is a law.

#53260 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Kristin – what Dori said.

Dori, I would LOVE to go to the North-West! It so appears that Washington, Oregon, Maine, Vermont, NY, Ohio, Illinois, and PA are all on the same/similar latitude as Bulgaria, so I would feel pretty okay in most of those, I believe, but still… if there was a state with Fall being 50% of the seasons, I would LOVE it, lol! ๐Ÿ™‚

P.S. I also get bit like no other… Takes me seconds of being outside to be mauled over by mosquitoes at least… But my one true enemy (not for a health reason, I just am afraid so much of them suckers), are bees/wasps/anything that can sting me… I just hate it. Not too allergic (only get a large local reaction usually), but their buzzing just freaks me out, lol. I’d still tough it out to have beautiful mountain views with lakes and maybe an ocean in there somewhere… ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.