šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Karen J

Trixie a 1 year old Terrier Mix/Chinese Crested 12.8lbs, has some crystals in her urine, no infection no stones. I’m getting not one straight answer from any one on what to feed her.

I’m now using filtered water not tap.
    I crumble Stella & Chewy onto her Blue Buffalo kibble but take out the dark bits. Was told I should get “low ash” kibble.
    Was told not to give her kibble and wet food?
    Was told to give her only freeze-dried raw.
    I’m putting Cranberry Comfort powder on her food.
    I give her bully sticks as treats and Natural Balance dental chews.
    I was told to stay away from all fish products.
    The vet wants to put her on some prescription food, I don’t believe that is best for her.
    I’m so confused.

Karen

#54859 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Does she have struvite or other type of crystals?

#54875 Report Abuse
    Karen J

The vet told me today she has the precursor to Struvite, (magnesium ammonium phosphate).

Karen Jossel
    323 882 8241 office
    323 630 7552 mobile
    http://LuckyDogGraphicDesign.com

#54883 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

You’ll probably get several different answers from us as well! And we’re not vets. But, these are some suggestions. (1) increase moisture intake (canned food, freeze dried/dehydrated foods (rehydrated), fresh/frozen raw foods, even kibble flooded with water) to help keep the bladder flushed out. (2) avoid feeding only dry food. (3) more frequent potty breaks. (4) cranberry/d-mannose supplement daily.

If she has alkaline urine, you can also add (1) small vitamin C capsule or a methionine (amino acid) capsule daily. (2) or a commercial pH reducing product (ex: Wysong Biotic pH-) or “grass saver” type product with methionine. Purchase pH test strips so you can monitor the urine pH.

I haven’t heard of fish being a problem regarding struvites.

#54925 Report Abuse
    Karen J

I really appreciate the input. I lost Lucky dog last year. I was heart broken, and Trixie is sunshine in a tiny body.

I know vet said pre struvite…I’ve heard stay away from fish too.

What should the PH be?

I’ve heard one person on FaceBook said:” If the crystals are Struvite, then acidifying the food, as well as high protein, low carb, grain-free food helps them from forming. I feed my dogs Taste of the Wild with wet food added as a topper.”

I’m mixing a little kibble and some freeze dried crumbled on top and part of a can of Blue Buffalo which I may return the BB products, then adding Cranberry Comfort and some water to make it all really moist. Either boiled tap or Brita water only. I’ll get the PH strips and trade kibble in for grain free I also heard “low ash” is good for this.

#54932 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Low ash and high protein are almost opposites. I would go with high protein no grain and add your Cranberry Comfort and see how it goes. Does Cranberry Comfort have vit C in it? If the pH strips show a pH above 7, I would think about adding a little vit C, if the CC doesn’t have it. If it does, wait until you have had her on it for a day or 2 then retest. If you’ve already had her on the CC for a couple days and the test strip still shows high, then I would go ahead and start adding the vit C. Adding it won’t hurt, as long as you don’t go crazy, so you really can just add it anyways. For myself, I would just want to know how the different elements of my dogs diet were affecting her.

#54941 Report Abuse
    Karen J

Good information, any thoughts on canned foods or just freeze dried raw with water added? Looks like there is some Calcium Ascorbate from Ester C in Cranberry Comfort.

I have to get the PH strips and trade in kibble for no grain. She really loves the BB canned, this morning I added too much water and other stuff to some canned and she wouldn’t eat it, so I’m concerned about just freeze dried raw with water, someone told me to just give her that and make it like oatmeal. I don’t think she’ll eat it.

I re-did her food this morning with a small amount of filtered water and less Stella and Chewy on top. She ate some of it, but she usually gobbles the BB canned with a scoop of the cranberry. Not eating isn’t an option either. I usually put the kibble with Stella and Chewy topping in separate bowl and she nibbles at it.

I have to figure out a combo she will eat.

#54950 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

If you need canned to make the food more appetizing, then look for Tripett. It isn’t balance for feeding as a whole meal, but it is amazing when it comes to enticing a dog to eat. Other canned foods that are very meaty are Against the Grain, Evo, Fromm, Hound and Gatos, Merrick Grain Free, Nature’s Logic, and Nature’s Variety Instinct. Just avoid Evanger’s like the plague. They have a horribly bad reputation.

#54953 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Here’s a few articles:

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/09/09/struvite-stones.aspx

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2012/01/03/fish-as-a-protein-source.aspx

Found this in the above article: “Last but not least, the magnesium content in fish has been linked to urinary tract diseases in cats. A diet overloaded with the mineral magnesium can predispose your kitty to magnesium ammonium phosphate crystals, also known as MAP crystals or struvite crystals. Crystals are a big problem for many, many cats.” Maybe geared more towards cats that eat alot of fish.

http://products.mercola.com/healthypets/bladder-health-for-pets/

This is the test strip I buy: http://www.amazon.com/PH-TEST-TAPE-Acid-Alkaline/dp/B0001SR4NM/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1413557089&sr=1-2&keywords=urine+ph+test+strips

#54956 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

FYI – Against the Grain is the Sher’s kids (Evanger’s) pet food company. I fed their cat food a few times until I looked into the manufacturer. I particularly like the last sentence of this article.

http://petbusiness.com/articles/2012-08-28/Siblings-Launch-Against-the-Grain-Food-

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by Bobby dog.
    #54958 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Yikes!!! Cross them off the list quick!! I wish I could keep track of all the different foods they can.

#54959 Report Abuse
    Karen J

Wow this is all so helpful. Just got can of Merrick, BB Wilderness and Holistic select wet to try. Got test bag of Orijens kibble, beef and lamb family. Moist treats, grain free Natural Balance and just gave her some Vit C wrapped in boiled chicken breast. Will have to get cheese I think and proper dose. Also put Cranberry relief…also some Stella and Chewy.

When I make her food to wet she won’t eat it.

So that’s where I’ve started and sounds like of what I put one can each of the Merrick appears to be a favorite of the forum.

Always open to more advice, I’m starting to put together a menu for Trixie.

#54960 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

I believe Fromm’s makes a shredded canned food similar to Against the Grain. Tiki Dog’s (and cat) chicken recipes are very similar; I use them in my rotation.

#54961 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Dr. Tim’s dog food uses low ash chicken meal and I’ve heard it’s budget friendly too.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.