šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BEV L

We adopted a Lab/Shephard mix from our local shelter about 4 months ago, he’s 2 years old. He was painfully thin when we brought him home. He has put on about 18 pounds but still looks very skinny. Can’t seem to hit on the right dog food for him. We started him on Pro Plan shredded chicken. About 6 weeks ago we put him on 4Health beef & potato (grain free). Both foods go right through him, meaning his piles of poop are huge, so I don’t think he’s getting anything from the food. We have had him to the vet and he is otherwise healthy. Looking for some suggestions on what to feed him and we are on a bit of a budget.

#65141 Report Abuse
    neezerfan

Has he been tested for EPI? I had the same issue with my rescue dog. Luckily he tested negative for EPI. His issue is food intolerance. He is now eating Royal Canin PV (potato and venison). He is absolutely thriving on that. Some people may bad mouth the Royal Canin brand but when your dog has a health issue you use what works. After a few months on this, when he had gained his weight, I gradually tried Natural Balance Venison and sweet potato, and that is working just fine too.

Studies were done that showed that many OTC single protein foods had other unnamed proteins in them. Thats why I felt it was important to start this process with an RX food to find what works.

#65142 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Bev L-

I think it is so awesome that you adopted a dog from the shelter that sounds like he needed a loving home quick! Sounds like you are on the right track. I agree with neezerfan, if you have a dog (or cat) with a health condition, sometimes an Rx food can get them on the right track. Another thing you might consider is some type of digestive supplement that contains digestive enzymes and/or probiotics. I am attaching a link to a website that I have used on numerous occasions that gives several recommendations of products to use for different symptoms. Good luck!
    http://www.dogaware.com/health/digestive.html

#65145 Report Abuse
    BEV L

I checked out the link from crazy4cats and found it very enlightening and I will look into having him tested for EPI. He has the symptoms. Thank You. I had not heard of this condition before.

#65147 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi Bev L:
    I agree with C4C and neezerfan’s suggestions.

Just wanted to add after you rule out any health issues and if there is no need for an Rx food maybe take a look at kibble with a little lower fat. Fat is a healthy and needed addition to a dog’s diet, but some dog’s need a little lower fat % due to digestive issues. 4Health and Pro Plan fat % minimums are 15-16%; possibly something in the minimum range of 10-12% might make a difference. Within your budget you should be able to find some well rated kibble to give a try.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.