underweight nursing dog please help

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health underweight nursing dog please help

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Heather H

I took in a stray yorkie mix just before christmas. She was in heat and running with a pack of large dogs who were fighting over her. I took her in to protect her and she is the sweetest girl. I have been feeding her and my other dog iams healthy naturals chicken and barley recipe which has 4 stars. I am on a fixed income and have low funds. She is about 10 lbs, not a toy dog and she had her puppies last friday. She had 6. Overnight she became skin and bones. She may have been underweight pregnant and I didn’t notice as her stomach was so large. Her coat is long silky and healthy and she is fine on energy but when I pet her she feels like a skeleton under all the fur. I get money on friday and in the meantime I boiled a pork roast with a lb of ground beef fresh green beans and carrots and added lentil and quinoa to try to get her extra calories. What I need to know is what is a good reasonable puppy food to try to put weight on her as she will have to eat a separate food from the other dog and I can’t spend more than $30 for the month on her and puppies, other dog has very sensitive stomach and the iams is the only food where his coat doesn’t get patchy and he doesn’t have poo storms:)

#67395 Report Abuse
    Heather H

I would consider a food up to $60 that would work for all dogs but my boy dog tends to overeat and puts on weight really easily

#67397 Report Abuse
    neezerfan

Check out this page. Pure Balance brand and Rachael Ray’s Nutrish are available at Walmart and are lower priced. Nutrisource is lower priced too
    /best-dog-foods/best-puppy-foods/best-dry-puppy-foods-4-star/

#67412 Report Abuse
    neezerfan

Also consider giving her a cooked egg a few times a week. Very high in nutrition and they’re cheap!

#68658 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

Small breed puppies are in demand. Maybe the vet or the local shelter would help you with the expense of getting this dog back in good health…in exchange for the puppies getting good homes. She needs to see a vet, as a stray you don’t know what she has been exposed to, parasites need to be ruled out and the puppies need to be examined too.
    Good luck and give us an update.
    PS: Has she been scanned for a microchip? She may have got out of a yard or something. Someone may be looking for her.
    The vet can check.

#91066 Report Abuse
    anna j

This is an old thread, do b now I am assuming everything went well. I would feed raw food. Raw offal, meat, meaty bones. You can cheaply do so.
    and also if you buy meat for yourself, buy a little bit of of her and her puppies.

I have mastiff and bully type dogs. They eat raw a a time. No problems. Our vet still plays a part, but but a consultant. Our dogs do not get sick,much.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.