Trying to figure out a plan of attack to switch food

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Trying to figure out a plan of attack to switch food

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Kris L

I adopted my dog 2 years ago. I learned early on that she does not tolerate chicken and she has been on Merrick Classic Lamb/Brown Rice/Apple since (so, about 1 1/2 years). She is itchy overall–nothing TOO crazy like scratching until she bleeds or is losing hair, but I think she scratches more than the normal amount. She is a foot licker off and on and her ears get gunky now and again(she has had one ear infection since I’ve had her). In the last few months, I’ve noticed her belly has a couple black patches. I basically figured she was due for a food change but I don’t know what I should concentrate on eliminating first. Going to a grain free food? If I do that should I also switch her protein? Or could her symptoms be because of yeast and I should look at potato free foods (I have spent a lot time on the potato free stickie on the forum!)? I really love Merrick and they have a new limited ingredient food, but it does have sweet and white potatoes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I was looking at Nutrisource as a grain free, potato free option but should I still stick with lamb? When I adopted her she had a lump that ended up being a mast cell tumor and I have read that dogs with MCT history should avoid fish based food (no idea if that’s accurate?!).

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.