The Honest Kitchen

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Food Ingredients The Honest Kitchen

Viewing 41 posts - 1 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Yorkieville

I bought 5 samples of THK food with my points for signing up. Love, Thrive, and Embark.
    We tried Embark, and she ate it. Next we tried Love-she didn’t like it. So, then, we tried Thrive, she didn’t like it either. Went back to Embark, she refuses to eat more than a few bites.
    Are they all supposed to be green?

#51689 Report Abuse
    Yorkieville

Received a reply from THK, yes, they are all supposed to green. They don’t smell particularly appetizing, so I think I’ll keep my puppy on the Wellness Stews.

#51690 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

I also have a yorkie and he would not eat THK and he eats everything. He loves wellness stews. I use all cans so I rotate and he loves go fit, fromms gold, merrick,weruva,simply nourish, pure balance but I think the wellness stews are his favorites.

#51691 Report Abuse
    Yorkieville

My puppy came home eating Wellness kibble, and I kept her on it awhile, but knew there was just too much grain in it. So, we feed her the Wellness Stews that are appropriate for puppies. There are only 3, so we rotate them.
    Thank you for letting me know that your Yorkie would not eat THK.
    She loves the Wellness Stews, and they do smell good when we warm up her food.

#51692 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

I use Honest Kitchen as a topper now and then. I like a break from cans. My dogs do not love it either. If I hydrate with some unsweetened organic applesauce and water, they like it A LOT more! I’m using Love right now. Good luck!

#51694 Report Abuse
    Yorkieville

I wonder why it’s rated so high, when I’m finding out so many dogs refuse to eat it. (Under the review of THK, I read so many dogs don’t like it.
    Thank you for the idea of hydrating it with some unsweetened organic applesauce & water. That’s one way I could use up my samples. I “thought” I had used my points to buy them, but I checked, and I actually paid $1.00 per sample, + $2.50 shipping.

#51699 Report Abuse
    Dori

Just want to say all three of my girls absolutely love THK, but as I’ve always said, none of my dogs have ever been picky eaters. They love the smell, taste and everything else about The Honest Kitchen.

#51700 Report Abuse
    Yorkieville

You’re really lucky. I don’t feel my Yorkie puppy is a picky eater, she ate the Wellness kibble the breeder was feeding her, very well. And she loves the Wellness Stews. But she refuses THK. We tried hydrating it with unsweetened organic applesauce & water for her evening meal, she sniffed it and walked away.

#51734 Report Abuse
    Naturella

I’m also just throwing my 2 cents in – my small terrier mix LOVES THK! We have Love, Embark, Force and Keen and I alternate them as kibble toppers – great success. 🙂

But, there are many other dehydrated options out there if you still want to try – Sojo’s and Grandma Lucy’s (I think) are good ones! 🙂

#51743 Report Abuse
    Yorkieville

That’s really great that your small terrier mix loves THK.
    At this point, since my puppy is only 5 months old, my husband & I have agreed to just keep her on the Wellness Stews.
    We’ve had 4 Yorkies in our 40+ years of marriage, and we’ve learned, they either like something, or they don’t.
    Personally, I don’t find the smell of THK very appetizing. When we warm up one of the Wellness Stews, it smells good.

#51753 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

My moms 8lb Jack Russell mix only likes straight THK for one day, and only if it’s made at just the right consistency– not too thick, and not too thin. Any more than than one day in a day row (or if it’s made too thick), and he leaves a good amount of it. I do mix it with 1/4 can of canned food and he loves it, though. I can’t help but wonder if it doesn’t taste meaty enough, since I use a 95% canned food, and he likes THK when I’ve got it mixed in to some of his canned.

#51754 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Yorkieville, have you tried the Wellness Core line? It is grain-free and has a puppy formula too. I think it is more of a pate-style though, but my Bruno loves that too… He seems to be loving everything except his current food – holistic Health Extension Lamb and Brown Rice… He likes their Original and Grain-Free formulas, but not this one for some reason… Oh well! Also, to my husband and I, THK actually smells edible! LoL!

#51760 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Yorkieville –

Sorry to hear your dogs didn’t like THK. 🙁

Just to clarify – the reviews are not based on palatability, they are based solely on the ingredients and general analysis.

You can read more about the rating process here.

#51779 Report Abuse
    Yorkieville

Akari 32 My Yorkie only liked it for two days, and like your Moms Jack Russell, it had to be mixed at just the right consistency. (It took me that long to figure out the right consistency.) I agree, I don’t think it tastes meaty enough. He probably likes it when you mix 1/4 can of canned food into it.

#51782 Report Abuse
    Yorkieville

Naturella -No, I haven’t tried the Wellness Core puppy formula. She’s happy with the three Wellness Stews that we rotate, and she’s healthy, growing.
    That’s funny-neither my husband or myself thought THK smelled good. LOL

#51783 Report Abuse
    Yorkieville

Hound Dog Mom – Thank you, but we’re happy she loves the Wellness Stews, and is not a picky eater. None of my Yorkies were ever picky eaters.
    It’s a shame the reviews don’t include palatability.
    Thank you-I did read how the reviews were based. So, I chose THK, wanting to feed my puppy a healthy food.
    It doesn’t help that it’s healthy, if she refuses to eat it. 🙂

#51797 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi Yorkieville. I think that it would be difficult for the reviews to include palatability because what’s not palatable to some are extremely palatable to others. Let’s not forget that some dogs think that poop is quite palatable, not all dogs think so.

Glad you found a good food that your puppy likes. Doesn’t matter how good a food is, if your dog won’t eat it than it doesn’t really matter. Good Luck with your puppy. Is that her in your avatar? She’s so adorable.

#51798 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Yorkieville:
    My dog is by no means a picky eater. I have fed him well over 20 different brands of kibble and canned recipes and several dehydrated foods over the past year. I found two foods he does not care for, one was a kibble and the other is THK.

I agree it does not smell meaty. I am finishing off a small box now and haven’t had to mix it with anything yet. He eats slowly and it takes him twice as long to eat his meal when I feed THK. I caught his eye a few times when he was eating it and he looked at me like “not this again.” lol I am glad I tried it and also glad it was just a trial box!

It’s a good thing Bobby is not a judge of whether or not a food is palatable, he would give two paws up to pretty much any food you would put in front of him. 😉

#51809 Report Abuse
    Yorkieville

Dori-You’re absolutely right. What I noticed, under the reviews, so many dogs refused to eat THK.
    Thank you-she’s a sweetheart.
    No, that’s not her in my Avatar. That’s my precious little Kia. She went to Heaven on February 28th, 2013. She was my heart.
    New puppy is a Daddy’s Girl. He was still working when we got our 1st 3 Yorkies, so they were my babies. He’s retired, thought it was time for him to have one of his own.

#51816 Report Abuse
    Yorkieville

Bobby dog:
    That says a lot about THK, that you have fed Booby so many different foods, and the only two that he didn’t like was a kibble & THK.

My Yorkie puppy, smells it and walks away, goes and lays in her bed.. And she gives us a look, that says, “You’re kidding, right?” She’d rather not eat, than eat THK.

I’m glad I only paid for 5 samples.

My husband said it looks like green puke, and he doesn’t blame her for not eating it.

I think she just doesn’t like the smell of it.

I think I’d get Bobby a job doing commercials advertising dog foods. 🙂

#51825 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

I really like it when a company offers samples even if you must purchase them. Saves the hassle of having to return food if they don’t like it.

I wish I could get him a job to help pay the bills; he is a really good actor! lol

When I first fed him the kibble he didn’t like he ate it at regular speed the first day, hesitated the next, walked away the third day. All I could think was if Bobby doesn’t eat it, it must not taste good, something is wrong with it, or he doesn’t feel well; he really eats pretty much anything. I pulled out the kibble for his next rotation and he happily ate the new food. So far he hasn’t refused to eat THK, but I think he might be close. He is such a good eater, bless his doggy heart. After reading stories about picky dogs I consider myself (and Bobby) so lucky!

#51834 Report Abuse
    Yorkieville

Bobby dog
    I agree, I prefer getting samples, even when I have to pay for them.

I wonder how you apply for dog food commercials.

None of my Yorkies were ever picky eaters, but I always felt the same way, if they won’t eat, something is wrong with the food. My new Yorkie puppy, refusing to eat THK, really makes me think something is off with the food. I’ve read that when a dog refuses a food, there is either something wrong with it, or there is something in the food, that they’re allergic to. She has always been a good eater. She’s happy to have her Wellness Stews back. So, like you, I consider myself lucky, and I think Lyric considers herself lucky, too.

#51836 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Yorkiville –

It would be difficult to include palatability in a review because, just as with humans, taste is unique to each individual. I love mushrooms, my boyfriend hates them – this doesn’t mean they taste bad or good we each just have a different opinion about their taste. I used to feed THK and my dogs have eaten every flavor but the newest ones released this year and they loved them all.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by Hound Dog Mom.
    #51844 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

Yorkieville there 6 different kinds of the wellness stews beef stew, chicken stew, lamb and beef, turkey, turkey and duck, and venison and salmon. My yorkie loves all of these. I think if he loves wellness he will love Go Fit by petcurean my yorkie loves them and they have similar protein,fat, and carb levels. They are only 2 different kinds. I also love yorkies. This is my second one. I lost my first one in 2000. He was my heart but I have fallen in love with this one too. They have so many of the same characteristics. Both of mine have been males and I’m trying to talk my husband into a female. I’ve heard the girls bond better with the dads.I think it’s healthier if u also rotate brands. Right now we are on wellness stew, go fit and fromn gold. It takes 2 or 3 days to use a can so I finish one can then go to the next and so forth. I wish I could do different morning and evening but I don’t want to waste the cans. I’m thinking about trying him on Dr. Harveys oracle. I want to add to his rotation. Good luck with ur precious baby. Yorkies Rule!(ha ha)

#51851 Report Abuse
    Yorkieville

weezerweeks
    Yes, I know that Wellness has 6 different Stews. I have an account with them. They send me coupons.
    But only 3, besides Core, are approved for puppies.
    I feel, rotating her with the 3, is enough.
    I’m sorry that you lost your 1st Yorkie in 2000.
    My little Kia was my heart. Actually, she & Sydney were my joy in life.
    It’s not true that females bond better with men.
    All 3 of my 1st 3 Yorkies, were females, and they bonded with me.
    With this new puppy, I haven’t really attempted to form a close bond with her. I prefer she bond with my husband.
    I don’t rotate between brands. I rotate the type of meat, chicken, turkey, beef.
    An ethical Show breeder can match a puppy’s personality with your Yorkies.
    I got Kia when Sydney was 2 years & 8 months old. Normally a breeder would have recommended a male puppy. But Sydney’s breeder knew her personality, and she knew that Kia’s personality would work well with Sydney. And they were so bonded, they were inseparable. when Sydney died, exactly two years to the date, before Kia-my little Kia grieved for 6 months. We grieved together.
    The new puppy is so tiny, even at 5 months, we divide a can into 3, and freeze 2 containers.

#51864 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

The picture of ur little Kia is beautiful. What a beautiful yorkie. Where are u from? I live in Vidalia,Ga(home of the sweet onions) Are their any breeders u could recommend to me. I would not mind getting a 1or 2 year old because my Bailey is 6. Also I’m 65 and my husband is 67. Thanks.

#51865 Report Abuse
    Yorkieville

weezerweeks

Thank you, Kia was gorgeous-headed for the Show ring, but didn’t get big enough. I live in NW IN. Actually, the best way to find an ethical breeder is attending the Dog Shows. Talk to them, or their handles, after, they’ve finished Showing. Beforehand, they’re really busy getting their dogs ready for the ring.
    Show breeders also place their retired dogs with retiree’s for just the cost of a neuter/spay, and a dental. So, you could get an incredibly looking dog for very little money.
    Kia’s breeder retired her females at the age of 5. Unfortunately, she retired a number of years ago, or I would highly recommend her.

#51892 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I’ve fed eight dogs, I think, THK over the last almost ten years & every one of them loves it. I have a couple online friends who’s dogs didn’t like it, until they put it in a kong and froze it. They thought it was a treat!

#51897 Report Abuse
    Yorkieville

My question was:
    I bought 5 samples of THK food with my points for signing up. Love, Thrive, and Embark.
    We tried Embark, and she ate it. Next we tried Love-she didn’t like it. So, then, we tried Thrive, she didn’t like it either. Went back to Embark, she refuses to eat more than a few bites.
    Are they all supposed to be green?
    “Received a reply from THK, yes, they are all supposed to green. They don’t smell particularly appetizing, so I think I’ll keep my puppy on the Wellness Stews.”

No offense to anyone, but I am not logging in again to read how much anyone’s dog loves THK. I’m unsubscribing to this thread now. We’ve gone way off my subject.

#51899 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

I don’t have Yorkies, but Cavaliers. All of mine came to me as retired show dogs/champions. I did do spays/neuters when needed and dentals, or anything else needed. Of course they were older, averaging 5-6 years old but they have all made great therapy dogs!

#51925 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Since the OP apparently left, can someone else please tell me what her subject was? Her dog wouldn’t eat it, she asked if it was supposed to be green the Re-posted saying THK emailed her back with the answer to that.

Are we only supposed to respond if we agree with what a poster says? I don’t want other people reading only bad reviews of THK & how disgusting someone’s husband thinks it is when I’ve had a complete opposite experience with it. I even offered a way to get your dog to possibly like it.

#51936 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Yes, I agree, that was kind of an abrupt departure. I was sort of hoping that it wasn’t really meant the way it came across. Oh well! Lol!

#51940 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi Marie and C4C. Just another poster that wanted to be agreed with I guess. OP started the thread with her opinion of THK and wanting to know if they were they all green. We just posted our experiences with THK. I don’t understand why some people get so upset because you don’t agree with them. If they don’t have a good experience we’re all suppose to bad mouth a food that we’ve had good experiences with? Silly really and, by the way, my girls think THK smells very appetizing. I just ordered the new Zeal without the alfalfa that is finally showing up in local pet stores.

#51966 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I’ve tried every one of the original THKs except Zeal and I thought they all smell pretty good for dog food. A couple of them just plain smelled good, nevermind dog food. I never understand why people get offended on a public blog when people respond to what they wrote. And I’ll never understand how people can be surprised when a food that has alfalfa or spirulina or spinach in it turns green. Did they not read the ingredients?

#51969 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I didn’t post this last night but this is my opinion only. They say your dog can sense your feelings down the leash, meaning if you’re nervous, they can tell. Over the last six years especially, I’ve talked about THK a lot. I’ve read how people think it looks like vomit, disgusting etc and their dogs won’t eat it. I wonder if the dogs sense how the owners feel and for some, refuse to eat it. Again, jmo.

#51970 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

That makes sense to me Marie! 🙂

#51977 Report Abuse
    Naturella

On several occasions I have wanted to run to the kitchen and pop me some popcorn to eat while reading posts because of people like Yorkieville… At least she “quit” early. (Too early – one moment she’s discussing yorkie breeders, the next she’s “out” cause the thread went off topic, yet when Marie brought it back, WITH advice for her, she couldn’t take it. Oh well.) But yeah, you can’t just get fussy when people disagree with your OPINION on a PUBLIC forum… Especially when they still give you advice to help you and your dog. You don’t have to TAKE it, but just say thank you, I’ll consider it, and move on. Not too hard. Of course, that’s just MY opinion. Anyone is free to disagree with it! 😉

#58207 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I gave Lily part of a sample of THK Embark mixed with water and her kibble yesterday, and she ate it but was not a huge fan. However, I usually feed her on a flat plate, and I was feeding her in bowl, and this was also the first time mixing water with her food. I have now gone back to feeding her kibble and canned, but separately, the canned in her bowl mixed with water to get her used to it. I want to try the THK again sometime soon.

Also, while the food didn’t look particularly appetizing, it smelled great for dog food. I read the earlier comments on this thread and was disappointing and surprised by the reaction to simple advice the topic poster had.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by Dog_Obsessed.
    #58304 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

I am feeding my dogs the grain free beef as a topper right now a few days a week. They like this flavor much better than the low protein turkey. I put 3Tbs on top of their kibble, add warm water and stir it up. Their “output” is better after eating HK with their kibble than canned food toppers. I would stick to the higher protein grain free choices. My dogs like them better anyway. Maybe you could try to mix a little of the canned in with it and slowly decrease until your pup gets used to the consistency. Or, as I suggested aove, some applesauce really helped my dogs with the other less liked flavor.

#58323 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Thanks for the suggestions! I just got this CRAZY idea: would it be okay to use a THK base mix and mix in Wellness 95% canned instead of meat? I would definitely check with my vet first, but what do you all think of this idea?

#68811 Report Abuse
    puppypiles

I would check with your vet and maybe also THK. They say you can mix premade raw with their base mixes, and I don’t think that would be much different than the supplemental cans like Wellness 95%.

Viewing 41 posts - 1 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.