🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lance B

Hello,

I’ll be picking up my Great Dane puppy in a few weeks and was wondering if there are any supplements I should begin giving him?

When he got to 10 weeks, I was going to begin giving him Glucosamine/Chondroiton, along with fish oil, for life. However, is there anything else you all might recommend, particularly for a Great Dane?

#50212 Report Abuse
    Lance B

Perhaps a probiotic? If so, which brand/product seems to be the DFA consensus?

#50229 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Lance-
    Congratulations on the new pup. How exciting, a Great Dane! I don’t know if a probiotic for a puppy is really necessary. But, maybe others will chime in with their opinions. My pups have had digestive issues due to various reasons. So, I have used Vetri-Science soft chews, Total Zymes, and Natur Vet probiotics. Right now I am using Swanson’s Ultra Soil-Based probiotics. Swanson Vitamins is a very reasonably priced web site with many options to check out. The main thing is to buy a probiotic with as many strains as possible. In addition, check out http://www.dogaware.com. It’s a great website with information on many dog related issues, including probiotics.
    Have you checked out the large breed puppy thread on this forum. It contains a spreadsheet of food that is appropriate for large breed pups due to needing restricted calcium levels.
    Keep his weight down, his growth slow and controlled and limited running and jumping to help his joints healthy. Have fun and good luck!

#50609 Report Abuse
    Lance B

Thanks for your insight, c4c.

Regarding your question, yes, I checked out that thread and did additional research beyond what HDM provided in her thread. Ultimately, I decided to get Nutrisource Large Breed Puppy food, as it had the closest dietary matrix (relative to other kibbles) to what research recommended. Moreover, its calcium to phosphorus ratio was pretty ideal and close to the research optimum. Lastly, it’s very affordable, which was a very nice added bonus.

#50620 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

I’m glad you found something that fits all your criteria! If you have been “hanging out” for a while, you have probably noticed that many of the experienced posters on this site recommend variety in a dog’s diet. Think about starting a rotational diet and adding some canned or fresh foods to his diet once he gets a little bit older and everyone is settled in. Having a puppy can be so much fun, but it is also a lot of work and worry at times. I wish you the best!

#68275 Report Abuse
    Wicks Ma

I have seen a few articles that say that research shows probiotics as a puppy helps decrease allergies later on in life! I personally have a 12 week old puppy (large breed) that gets them due to chronic diarrhea but wanted to use them even if that hadn’t been the case, especially since he had been given antibiotics. Just like humans they can have imbalances… although you can also feed them yogurt and kefir (if they are not lactose intolerant!) Look it all up first bc I obviously am no expert:)
    Ps can anyone tell me how to add a picture to my profile and also please update us on your pups status and what you ended up doing if you don’t mind!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.