šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer C

I dont know what to do.. I am new here and hoping to find some help. I have a 10 year old pug that underwent stone removal surgery some months ago. Well it wasnt a solid stone exactly but more like a huge pile of sand type of crystals. (Sorry if i dont remember the terms) the vet had never seen anything like it. Anyhow it tested to be 45% struvite and 55% urate crystals. The vet recommended either pedigree pro plan hydrolized or royal canine UC. I am not a fan of the brands and have always fed high quality foods before this but i do trust my vet and dont want to risk my baby’s health. So i switched him from the fromm grain free that he was eating to the royal canine UC. I had him in for dental work a couple months later and his liver level is high. Dr gave him a liver cleanse to take and the level went up slightly after 3 weeks. Not sure if the cleanse did nothing or if it would have been much higher had he not been on it. Xrays and ultrasound were done along with an acid bile test which came back high. Dr has him on ursodiol and metronidazole right now. Only thing that has changed since his first surgery is the food so i am nervous somehow the royal canine is causing the liver problems? I am just starting a switch to the peigree he had recommended to see if there is any change also. Sorry to write a whole essay here… My question.. is there a higher value food aside from this 2 options that i could maybe try? I keep reading that canned food is a help but what canned food can he have? The pedigree and royal canine foods dont come in canned. I had always given warm water in his kibble but i have upped that as much as he will tolerate. I also add a splash of chicken broth to it so he wants to drink it all. Any thoughts on any of is? I have never had serious health issues like this with any of my pups so am really at a loss.

#90394 Report Abuse
    anonymous

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/category/nutrition/

/forums/search/struvite/ (per the search engine here)

Come back if you have more questions.
    PS: There are prescription medications that may help (as your vet has prescribed). The medications though necessary could be causing a slight increase in liver enzymes, ask your vet to clarify.

#90395 Report Abuse
    Jennifer C

His liver levels were elevated before the dr prescribed these meds. He was on no medication previously. :/ thank you for posting the links, i will look now.

I have looked into many posts but havent found anything with dogs having both urate and struvate crystals.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by Jennifer C.
    #90399 Report Abuse
    anonymous

My dog had struvite and calcium oxalate stones. It started when he was 11, he had surgery 1 time. He passed away recently at age 16 (due to an unrelated condition)

I would go by what the veterinarian that is treating your dog advises. Prescription food and all.

#90408 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Jennifer, have a look at “Honest Kitchen” Zeal, its formulated for senior dogs & it’s lower in fat 8.5% then Royal Canine UC , with the Honest Kitchen you just add water so the diet is a moist diet what is needed when a dog has kidney problems, kibbles are no good to feed dogs/cats when they have health problems, that’s how they probably got the health problems from eating kibble…….
    There has to be better foods then what your vet is recommending…. Have you looked at cooked diet & going thru “Balance It” they do special meals as well thru their nutritionist for dogs with certain health problems, you just add the “Balance It” to your premade meals so the meal is balanced…..Just fill out the questionnaire about your dogs health problems then they will give you recipes for you to make & add their “Balance It” too…If your dog has a complicated health problem, it will say to contact their Nutritionist…. so maybe re fill out questionnaire with the health problem he has now & this way you can just order the “Balance It” & follow their recipes or The Honest Kitchen also has Base Mixes you just add to your cooked meals that balance the meals & you can make a few meals & freeze or put in the fridge….
    https://secure.balanceit.com/
    Shop All Dog

#90409 Report Abuse
    anonymous

This is not a DIY project. Discuss with your veterinarian how much monitoring, testing, x-rays and how often performed are necessary, take into consideration the dog’s age and ability to tolerate aggressive treatment, financial concerns. See what the vet recommends.

Below is an excerpt from: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/urate-bladder-stones-in-dogs/5841 (click on link for full article)

“How can I prevent my dog from developing urate bladder stones in the future”?

Dogs that have experienced urate bladder stones will often be fed a therapeutic diet for life. Dogs with liver disease will need to be treated appropriately prior to addressing urate bladder stone management. Diets lower in protein and therefore lower in purines, one of the building blocks of urate crystals, and promote slightly alkaline urine are recommended. Canned or wet diets are often preferred to help encourage water consumption. Dilute urine (urine specific gravity less than 1.020) helps decrease urate stone formation. In certain cases, medications such as allopurinol may be required. In addition, careful routine monitoring of the urine to detect any signs of bacterial infection is also recommended. Bladder x-rays and urinalysis will be performed one month after treatment and then every three to six months for life. Many dogs will need to have bladder ultrasound to detect early urate stones that are small and may not be visible on x-rays.

Dogs displaying any clinical signs of urinary tract infections such as frequent urination, urinating in unusual places, painful urination or the presence of blood in the urine should be evaluated immediately.

This client information sheet is based on material written by: Ernest Ward, DVM

#141936 Report Abuse
    David H

My Parsons Russell Terrier was suffering from tiny bladder stones about 10 years ago, had bladder stone surgery multiple times and hydropullions to remove the stones from his urethra. He was part of a study at UC Davis and after testing his stones and bloodwork they determined he was had a combination urate/struvite Crystal’s, with this information I decided to put him on Prescription diet W/D which is low protein, low fat, high fiber, I add a cup of water to it to keep things flowing. Has been 10 years and not one issue. I’ve told several people people whose dogs were having the same issue, no more issues to speak of. Hope this help anyone who chooses to use. May save them $. Take care

#141937 Report Abuse
    anonymous

@ David H

Thanks so much for sharing. I went through it all too with a small breed boy.
    That’s the trick, diet restrictions depending on the type of stones, and water, water, water.
    Yes you will have to take them out frequently for bathroom breaks, have to keep the bladder flushed. Very important.

Glad that your dog is doing well.

PS: Keeping the weight down and exercise, frequent walks, helps too.

#142120 Report Abuse
    connie n

i am so confused ..my little 6 lb 8yr old yorkie had stones 6 rs ago
    the vet removed the stones they were. dtruvite stones and vet put her on royal canin urinary so dry ..people are telling me to put her on a
    primal diet ..it is really necessary to keep her on prescription food

#142129 Report Abuse
    haleycookie

@connie. I wouldnā€™t put him on a dry diet at all. For crystal you want to keep the dog as hydrated and his bladder flushed out as possible. Thatā€™s the key as well as making the diet less acidic. Maybe get with your vet and ask about a wet option or an over the counter recommendation. If he refuses or canā€™t give u further info find a vet nutritionalist for other high moisture diet options.
    Ideally the Royal Canin will desolve the crystals within a couple of weeks and then a hydrating diet should follow after. Make sure your dogs bladder is staying flushed and he is urinating as often as possible. Every 2-4 hours.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.