storing kibble

Dog Food Advisor Forums Off Topic Forum storing kibble

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jakes mom

Just wondering if it’s ok to store extra kibble in the freezer. My Jake only eats about 1 cup per day. Can I take advantage of a sale and keep extra bags in the freezer? Or get a large bag on sale and put into zipper freezer bags? How long is an opened bag good for before you’d worry about it being stale or getting rancid? I keep his “in use” kibble in a spare room closet, dark and cool.

#38535 Report Abuse

Some people here do freeze it and report no issues. A bag doesnt last more than 2 weeks tops here so I have never had to worry. When not feeding raw canned etc it lasts even shorter. I store unopened food in a spare room that has ac in summer.

#38536 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi Jakes Mom:
    I feed about as much kibble as you do per day. I have placed two different kibbles in the freezer; I still have an opened one in the freezer now to use. The food I froze was fresh and not close to expiring.

When I decided I wanted to do a faster rotation by using smaller bags, I had two medium bags already opened. I kept one frozen for about two months and it was fine. I expect the one that is in there now (going on four months) will be fine; I will be feeding it soon.

Since the bags I froze were opened I just rolled them up tightly, secured them with moving tape, then placed each bag separately in a large zip-lock bag. It seemed to keep it fresh and Bobby ate it and did fine. If I was freezing an un-opened bag I would place the bag in a zip-lock bag or depending on the size of the dog food bag, some type of plastic bag for freezer storage.

If I found a good sale I wouldn’t hesitate to stock up and freeze some if I couldn’t use it right away! lol

#38548 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I’ve got both cat and dog kibble in the freezer right now in airtight bags. Just make sure that it comes completely up to room temperature before opening or condensation will get the kibble damp.

#38579 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

thanks, I thought it would be ok, my main concern was what BCnut mentioned, the kibble getting damp and maybe moldy.

#38587 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi BCnut:
    Thanks for the tip on thawing out the kibble. I did open the bag I removed from the freezer right away, but I didn’t have any problems thank goodness. Next time I will plan ahead rather than pulling it out of the freezer at the last minute; someday I will be more organized! 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.