šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Don G

I’ve had GS and Belg. Sheepdog for over 30 years with no stomach problems. My daughters’ 3yr old GS will periodically have ‘spells’ where he will walk around wretching for sometimes an hour or so, and only bring up small amount of flem. Usually it stops, but ast month she took him to the vet, got x-rays and it showed ‘swollen’ gas filled stomach. They kept him overnight, suggested a surgical procedure. I suggested changing her feeding habit: previously he would get his food put out and pretty much always had food in his bowl. He doesn’t over eat and doesn’t gobble his food in hurry. I suggested feeding smaller amounts two to three times a day. She tried giving pepcid and even Gas-X (which she asked her vet about and said it was ok to try). In the past month, he has been getting Retriever high activity food and he had an episode last night (first since she was at the vet).
    Any thoughts on high/low protein, grain-yes/no, etc.? I feel that this can be helped by diet and method of feeding.
    Oh, she works at a horse barn and he is always with her. he does eat a little manure, but not often ad I suggested to her to watch a little more closely to keep him from that.
    Thanks, Don

#66680 Report Abuse

Hi Don..

To me, it sounds like the dog is getting ready to bloat. I am guessing the vet was suggesting tacking the stomach? Bloat is an emergency, bloat with stomach torsion is a killer. Unfortunately there is no definitive cause, but deep chested and large breeds are more prone to it and many have a genetic factor. If this is the case I can not imagine how food would stop the issue.

As for the Retriever I would change that if for no other reason then it’s very poor quality.

Melissa

Find out what kind of surgery was recommended.

#66682 Report Abuse
    M A

If the vet was suggesting a stomach tack, as mentioned above, due to a gas retention issue, I would recommend the surgery, though it is not a 100% prevention of gastric bloating. It is often recommended for dogs who have presented with symptoms of gastric bloat. Gastric bloat can be deadly and progress very rapidly. My beagle almost died last April from gastric bloat and most likely would have if I had stayed overnight at the hospital with a family member. My mom and her husband had no clue as to what was going on my my beagle. 20+ years as nurse told something was wrong. By time she got to the emergency vet, she was critical. This is a very serious condition!!
    As for feeding, I recommend slo-feeder bowls. They make the dogs really pause while they are eating.
    Best of luck my friend! Hope your daughter’s pup is ok!

#66683 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I agree with the others.

Having simethicone on hand is a good idea if necessary to administer a dose prior to transporting to the vet, but not instead of a trip to the emergency vet if you should suspect bloat.

#66694 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

HI Don, try a lower fat diet 10% fat & under for kibble & 2% fat & under for tin wet foods…but kibble is the worst thing you can feed for this problem as the kibble expands when water is drunk…. I’d be having the surgical procedure done as dogs die from bloat….Has he been tested for IBD, Patch suffer with IBD with the stomach & small bowel problems poos are excellent but he has the swallowing & swallowing. (wrenching)… He has acid reflux coming up into his throat, If you can afford it have an Endoscope & biopsies done, then you’ll have a better idea what’s happening, with the Pepcid give 30-60mins before breakfast then 12 hours later the same 30-60mins before food also feed smaller meals thru the day, I feed 7am 9am 12pm 5pm & 7pm I have found lower protein & lower fat diets to be the best also try soaking the kibble to soften it, if he can eat wet food, it will be better as long as its not high in fat, I’ve been making turkey mince 99% fat free mince adding 1 egg mixing thru & making into little balls & putting in a baking dish & baking they cook real quick so don’t over cook cause the turkey balls are like rubber balls, I also boil a heap of pumkin & freeze 20g pieces that’s about 1 heap tablespoon & mix the pumkin with the mashed up turkey balls & Patch has stopped his swallowing & swollowing also make sure his dinner is split into 2 smaller meals & give the last one around 9pm so he has something in his stomach thru the night, this swallowing all started when I put Patch on a higher fat kibble then I put him on a lower fat kibble & he was better but it came back this January, so I’m starting to think Patch does not do well on kibbles, kibble is too processed for his stomach…also don’t feed wet food & kibble together, do 1 or the other…

also kibbles with insoluble fiber goes thru the stomach quicker, where kibbles that have more soluble fiber will just sit in the stomach, as soluble fiber delays emptying of the stomach…just email the kibble company & they will tell you the % of the insoluble & the % of the insoluble fiber… I have to feed Patch Vet Diet Eukaunba Intestinal low residue kibble, its low in fiber & the kibble breaks up quicker then other kibbles they just sit in the stomach, the Intestinal also soften within 1 min when soaked in cold water, always drain out any water… I test all kibbles before feeding them if they stay rock hard after 3 mins soaking, I don’t feed, Patch has his pain & then swallowing & swallowing, I’m finding home cooked diet is the best & it works out the cheapest & you know what they are eating…here’s a link about fiber & the best foods
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/insoluble-soluble-fiber

#66709 Report Abuse
    Don G

Thank you all. The surgery sounded a little more like a banding, but I’m sure it is much like mentioned as tacking. The low fat, high fiber diet may help. I wasn’t aware of the retriever brand, she just moved and that is what her new room mate is feeding. The Eukanuba sounds like it could be helpful. The brand is what I had used for my dogs for 30 years. Her dog never had his stomach twist, as I’ve understood what real bloat was. but the last time he did get a gastric tube to decompress. I believe he will be getting surgery in the not too distant future.
    Thanks again.
    Don

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.