šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    ScottsMomma

We recently brought home a pug puppy-currently 9 weeks old. Due to her being rather itchy, I am thinking about trying her on raw-which is all new to me. How does one start off a puppy on raw food? Do you add things like coconut oil, kelp, etc to it?

#100342 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi ScottsMomma-

At 9 weeks old the itching is extremely unlikely to be a food sensitivity. Don’t forget, dogs get itches like we do and it does not mean they are having an allergic reaction.

Raw diets are challenging to do correctly and especially with a puppy who needs optimized vitamins and minerals for proper bone development etc, the risk of a deficient diet outweighs any perceived benefit. Start the puppy off on a very simple food with the least amount of ingredients. Chicken and rice for example. Do not jump all over the place to exotic proteins.

If you want to do raw wait until after the critical growth period and use a commercial product like Natures Variety.

#100343 Report Abuse
    ScottsMomma

I am just concerned about the itching because she is chewing on her paws, scratching at her face and ears.

#100344 Report Abuse
    Erika I

My pug was also very, very itchy and I transitioned her to raw thinking it was her food. But she was still scratching like crazy and losing big patches of hair so I now have her on a seasonal allergy medication (Vet’s Best Seasonal Allergy Support Supplement for Dogs)… and it worked! we have seen a complete change… no more scratching… and her fur is growing back. Mind you this was after several expensive vet visits and several food changes (thinking she was allergic to a specific protein) and nothing helped her. Vets Best is very affordable… only like 7 dollars on Amazon and I tell you it is the magic pill… all natural ingredients too!

Hope this helps!

#100346 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

I understand it’s concerning. Was the puppy breeder local to you, out of state or somewhere far from you in state? When I got my pit bull as a puppy we got him 4 hours north of where we live and when we brought him back to our home he developed a staph infection from the change in environment. Our vet has told me and also my professors at school that it’s common for dogs being imported from one environment to another to have a slight reaction to the change.

#100347 Report Abuse
    anonymous

For best results, consult a veterinary dermatologist. Get the dog properly diagnosed first, then you can evaluate your diet and treatment options.
    By any chance was this a pet shop/puppy mill dog? Because a lot of breeders continue to breed dogs that have environmental allergies even though they shouldn’t. There is a genetic link.
    I have an allergic dog, she is doing very well under the care of a veterinary dermatologist, sees him once a year. It’s all good. And, she tolerates a variety of foods, but does best on Nutrisca Salmon and Chickpea
    Raw made her sick, emergency vet visits and all.

#100350 Report Abuse
    ScottsMomma

We purchased her from a local family member of ours. She has both the father and mother-this was their first litter.

#100351 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Well, if your pup turns out to have environmental allergies, diagnosed by a veterinary dermatologist, you may want to advise your family member not to continue breeding the dogs, or at least consult a veterinary health care professional first. Best of luck

#100352 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

I would voice your concerns to her. Since she is a novice breeder she may not actually be able to help, but a good breeder, family member or not wants to know these things.

And yes, I would at minimum bring her to the vet before switching to raw.

#100451 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

What anon said!

#100540 Report Abuse
    gsdmama

My dog gets seasonal allergies, so every spring (Around this time yay! lol). Going to try adding some coconut oil and wild alaskan salmon oil to her regular dry food but honestly I feel like the quickest relief for her is just a trip to the vet. I hate to give my dog drugs but she gets horrible hot spots and a few days on Apoquel clears them right up.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.