Springtime Supplements

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Supplements Springtime Supplements

Viewing 26 posts - 51 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hey Guys-
    I’m curious… Do you think that all ear infections are due to a food or supplement intolerance? Couldn’t they be due to anything else?

#36654 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Yeasty ears are usually due to a couple different things, swimming or food intolerances. Since Sam lives in the frozen north, I don’t think he has had his head under water, and we already know that he definitely has food intolerances. It very well could be to the CC, but he has been completely fine on it in the past. Dogs that have these issues can be intolerant of any food that has protein in it, and some have issue with foods that shouldn’t have protein in them. but garlic definitely does have protein in it. That doesn’t make the garlic bad, just bad for Sam, if it is the garlic. Allergies and intolerances are individual to the dog, so just because Sam is reacting does not mean you should worry about it.

#36656 Report Abuse
    losul

I hate peeling garlic, so the other day i bought a 3 pound bag of peeled cloves from Sam’s club for only 6 bucks. There’s no way I can use all of it in 6 weeks-the expiration date, so i was wondering if I can freeze most of it and still retain all the beneficial properties. Anyone know?

#36658 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Betsy, are you using the granules?

#36660 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Marie: Yep, I’m using the granules. I almost hope it’s the Canine Caviar and not the Bug Off Garlic since I accidentally doubled my order and am the proud owner of six huge jars of the stuff! LOL! Not really….

Hi Dori: Sam’s reactions to stuff usually happen fairly quickly. I do have confidence in the Springtime product and believe it’s very safe to use. I know a lot of folks here have used it with no problem AND with great success. They even carry it for sale in the holistic vet’s office where I go to see Sam’s chiropractor. Sam has eaten some foods recently and had a reaction to them, that he ate previously without any problem. I’d hate for it to be the CC since that’s one of two foods he “was” able to eat without a reaction. Like Patty said, it’s a matter of Sam’s food intolerance issues and NOT a Springtime issue. Just follow the Springtime directions and start slowly, giving your pups just a sprinkle for the first week or so and gradually increasing their dose. I hit Bella with a little too much, too soon and she had some loose stool, but is totally fine now.

#36661 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I was hoping you were using the chewables, the “fix” might’ve been easy.

#36662 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I think what I’ll do is stop the BOG and see what happens with his ears.

We happen to be headed to the vet this afternoon for SNAP 4DX tests and heartworm medication. I’ll talk to the vet about (gulp) combination products, just in case the BOG is the problem.

#36663 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

I didn’t know that ear infections could be due to food intolerances. Hmmm… Interesting. My previous dog never really had any problems with his ears and my current two have not either at 2 1/2 years old. I guess I’m lucky in that respect. We just have the digestive issues so far. I think I’m going to eventually order the granules. Right now, I’m giving them fresh garlic three times per week. I’m thinking that might not be enough through the flea season. Betsy, if you want me to buy them from you if that turns out to be the culprit, let me know and maybe we could work something out.

#36664 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi losul,

I don’t know the answer to your question, but take a look at these links and see if you find anything useful:

http://www.allicinfacts.com/
    http://www.springtimeinc.com/product/bug-off-garlic-dogs (go to the studies tab and scroll down to the bottom of the page)

Also, I found this: “Whether frozen garlic has any appreciable health benefits or not is a function of whether it is frozen whole or chopped or crushed first. Garlic that is frozen whole has few, if any, health benefits as the alliinase is neutralized by the cold and while it remains flavorful, the polysulfides never form. On the other hand, if you crush or finely chop garlic and wait about 15 minutes before freezing, it will have formed the allicin and the sulfides will form upon thawing and result in the health benefits that studies have shown for garlic.” http://www.enonvalleygarlic.com/About_Garlic.html

Also, I remember a while ago, several people had some great secrets for super easy ways to peel garlic. Maybe they’ll share their secret again here!

#36666 Report Abuse
    losul

Very helpful, just what I was looking for. thnx Betsy. I wouldn’t have even thought to crush it and waiting 15 minutes before freezing, I would have just tried freezing it whole cloves!

Now that you mention it, i do remember folks saying easy tips for peeling, but it’s one of those things i just can’t remember their methods

• This reply was modified 10 years ago by losul.
    #36668 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi Betsy, for Sam’s sake I hope it is the Bug Off and not the food. I thought I had food issues with Katie. It’s gotta be really rough his being able to eat only two different foods. I’ll start off really slowly with the Bug Off Garlic and all the dogs, slower on Katie then the other two.

C4C. Absolutely ear gunk, etc. can be from poor nutrition, intolerances and allergies. My three girls had nasty ears all the time when they were on grain inclusive foods. No sooner did I clean their ears out when they’d be all gunky again. A little while after I switched them to grain, white potato, white rice, soy free diets their ears cleaned up completely and have never had a problem again. Katie who has seasonal allergies also doesn’t have ear issues when she has the seasonal issues. It’s all so interesting.

#36672 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

Fixing to order the bug off garlic for my yorkie, along with the joint chews. Shoul I order the chewables or the powder? I’m using mercola joint tablets now and they are working but I thought I’d try the springtime joints for a switch. What u think?

#36673 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

If I remember correctly, you put it in a large metal bowl and cover it with another. Then shake and shake and shake. I tried it. It only worked once for me. I’m with you, Losul. I buy the already peeled from Costco. Never thought about freezing as I have had to throw a bunch out also.

#36674 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Weezerweeks- I think the granules seem more cost effective for me. I’d have to give EACH of my dogs 12 tablets for the best coverage. Although, I usually do like using tablets due to convenience.

#36677 Report Abuse
    losul

C4C, I’ll try that 2 bowl method sometime, but skeptical it would work on some of the garlic i’ve had-very tough to get peeled. Maybe i could put them in a clean paint can, take to the hardware store, and put on the paint shaker.

I should have read the bag on what I have, unfortunately I assumed that most garlic still comes from Gilroy, Ca. It’s Spiceworld brand, but I just read it and this says “product of China.”, sheesh.

#36678 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Sheesh! I’m gonna check my bag when I get home.

#36682 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Weezerweeks,

The granules were more cost effective, but if you only have one small dog the chewables might not be that much more expensive and worth the convenience. That said, I’m not finding the the granules inconvenient at all. My 20 lb. dog gets a total of one scoop once daily. I divide it 1/2 scoop each meal. Whatever they’re eating, even if it’s dry kibble, doesn’t matter ~ it seems to stick and gets eaten right up.

The granules are just garlic and the chewables are garlic, but also contain nutritional yeast and beef liver. Something to keep in mind in case your pup can’t have either of those things.

#36686 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I’ve used the granules for years simply because I didn’t want to chance nutritional yeast with Boone, just in case.

#36689 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Weezerweeks, if you break the chewables into four pieces, they are still about the size of small kibble. Since you feed canned food, I would just get the granules.

#36742 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

C4C and Losul

I have an overabundance of mixing bowls, it’s funny what you inherit sometimes, so I experimented with the best method. Small bowls didn’t work at all, medium bowls worked so so, but the large 20″ diameter mixing bowls worked wonderfully. Every time I get out garlic, everyone leaves the room. This method makes an awful racket.

#36764 Report Abuse
    losul

Patty, you could get the whole family involved with those kitchen utensils while making the dog food, turn the racket into music, and start your own version of “Stomp Out Loud””, hehe.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Stomp+Out+Loud+Kitchen&Form=VQFRVP#view=detail&mid=3D88F743A53E92FFF8143D88F743A53E92FFF814

Looks like fun!

#36772 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I love them!!!! There is just one teensy weensy problem with your idea. My whole family is rhythm challenged. Some of us can’t even clap. We can’t carry a tune in a bucket, even with someone else’s hand on the handle. I’ll just have to enjoy watching others with the music gene.

#36791 Report Abuse
    Dori

OH! My reply to losul never got posted.
    losul, I was thinking that Patty and her family would go entirely “nuts”. Not to mention her dogs.

I also said:

Patty, if you try it you have to get someone else to video it so you could post to us. We are in serious need of some chuckles. The picture I have of you and your crew is seriously funny.

#36792 Report Abuse
    Dori

Come on Patty. That’s what would make the video so funny! It’s not fun for the rest of us if you all had rhythm. How could we laugh out loud.

#36811 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Oh it’s funny all right, in a seriously painful way. There are literally people in my family that I have to just walk away from when they start clapping. My mom is one of them. And God forbid it be foot stomping music. I would die.

#36819 Report Abuse
    Dori

Too too funny. Don’t get the clapping part? How can you get clapping wrong? Now I’ll have to watch how people clap. Hmmmmmmm.

Viewing 26 posts - 51 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.