šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Tammy J

Hi All,
    I think this is a great forum. I’m hoping some folks can help me find the best food for my Sweetie. She is turning 9 in September. She is a shorkie (shih tzu/yorkie) She weighs about 15 pounds. She developed bladder stones about a year ago. The vet treated her with medicine and switched her food to urinary SO. The stones actually dissolved, no surgery needed. However, I was told she would need prescription food for the rest of her life. I was previously feeding her primal freeze dried nuggets. They said raw diets are the worst choice. Sweetie has always had allergies, and she did great on raw. She’s been super itchy and eating her feet since changing food. She’s developed a bladder infection and we are now on Hills urinary c/d. She’s licked her paws raw and developed a yeast infection (didn’t know that was possible on a paw) and is on medication for that. I understand that the prescription food has a reduced amount of calcium, magnesium and phosphorus. I’ve read some not great things about Hills food. Sweetie has never been a big drinker, the other thing to prevent the crystals from coming back. She also benefits from glucosamine for her stiff joints. While researching senior foods, they seem so high in the minerals. Any ideas on the best food for keeping Sweetie healthy and happy? I wouldn’t mind making homemade, since we only have one dog. Thanks for your help!

#102672 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Dogs that get bladder stones often have a genetic predisposition (struvite and calcium oxalate are the most common), not enough water is another contributing factor.
    Has she had an x-ray/ultrasound to rule out bladder stones? Because, they can have more than one type of stones. This also. can result in recurrent urinary tract infections.
    Add water to the kibble, and you can also presoak the kibble in water overnight in the fridge prior to serving.
    Offer frequent bathroom breaks/opportunities to urinate, keep the bladder flushed. Stagnant conditions in the bladder are conductive to stone formation.
    Donā€™t free feed, 2 or 3 small meals a day is better and always have fresh water available. Maybe add a little plain chicken broth (no onion) to the kibble.
    A blocked urethra is a medical emergency and can result in surgery to save the dogā€™s life.
    Did the vet talk to you about prescription meds for stubborn cases? Donā€™t confuse supplements with medication.
    Work with your vet, prescription food and all, when the dog has been stable for 6 months to 1 year you can discuss diet changes.
    Use the search engine here to see more threads on this topic and others.

Ps: You may find some helpful information here http://skeptvet.com/Blog/?s=urinary+tract+infection
    Btw: I’d skip the supplements, glucosamine and such. They don’t really help and could contribute to the formation of bladder stones.
    Increase water intake and frequent bathroom breaks, opportunities to urinate is your best bet, just add water to the kibble of your choice, they lap it up to get to the food.
    This is not veterinary advice; consult your veterinarian.

#102679 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Tammy-

Homemade diets for her might be the best option given her apparent food sensitivities. You can use a website like BalanceIt.com or petdiets.com and pay for the service to have a urinary diet custom made for her by a board certified veterinary nutritionist. I would not attempt to homecook food for her given her medicial condition without using these types of consult services.

Over the counter foods (as you can see) are not appropriate for dogs predisposed to her condition.

#102684 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Tammy, Sweetie is nilly the same age my boy, he’s turning 9 in November they both will be turning 63yrs old….I’m going thru something similar at the moment with my boy who has IBD, skin allergies & food intolerances…The Hills & Royal Canine vet diets for Kidney Care & dissolving crystals are too high in fat for my boy & have ingredients that Patch can’t eat, he gets yeasty smelly skin, paws & ears when he eats, chicken, corn starch, wheat, corn gluten meal, barley & carrots…
    Are you feeding the wet tin c/d or the dry c/d kibble? I’ve noticed the Wet tin vet diets have better ingredients & may not have the ingredients Sweetie is sensitive too, go on face book there’s 2 groups “Canine Kidney Disease” & Canine Kidney Disease Support group” a few people are feeding “Dave’s” pet food, Restricted diet protein low Phosphorus farmland blend in sauce wet tin, Honest Kitchen Keen, some are feeding raw or cooked diets &
    a few people have been recommending Dr Harvey, he’s a Nutritionist that must do special diets for dogs with a few health problems, I haven’t had time to check out his site yet, join the f/b groups & read thru the post, you’ll probably get more info from people going thru the same health problems with their dogs…a lot are feeding the Hills K/D or C/d Multicare wet tin food..
    I’m still waiting on test results from sterile urine that was taken the other day, I feel so sorry for my boy, he never seems to get a break, he starts doing really well then we have another health problem…. Good-Luck working out the best diet….. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1422252261408967/

#103133 Report Abuse
    sammi l

My small 9 year old dog got bladder stones – treated with meds. Vet said to feed her prescription Science Diet for 6 weeks then keep her on it. If you read the label it’s GARBAGE. New vet prescribed Blue Wilderness Wu. Sammi eats kibble and canned – does very well. It’s new product – my Vet prescribes it thru distributed Vet’s First Choice.

Hope that helps!

#103241 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Bump

In response to recent post regarding “urinary tract infections”

Per search engine. /forums/search/urinary+tract+infections/

Hope this helps šŸ™‚

#103244 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Example:
    (from a previous thread on the same subject)
    Also there are prescription meds for stubborn cases, talk to your vet.
    Was an ultrasound done? Dogs can have more than one type of stone, such as calcium oxalate and struviteā€¦that was the case with my dog that had reoccurring UTIs.
    This is not veterinary advice; consult your veterinarian.

#103257 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Bump

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.