🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Brando F

Hi all,

I have a male 16-17lb Shih-Tzu who is about 8-9 years old. Due to ignorance, convenience, price, and picky eating, my parents have been feeding him Cesar food mixed with some home cooked food for almost his whole life. Now that I’m older and more aware, I want to feed him better quality food, however late it may be.

He hasn’t exhibited any notable health problems, isn’t overweight, and gets plenty of exercise, but still – I’m concerned for his diet.

My questions: What brands do you recommend? Should I be looking for something low in fat even if he isn’t overweight? Just to compensate for the low quality of Cesar?

I’ve been experimenting with Blue Buffalo Divine Delights and Blue Buffalo Wilderness, both of which he likes. However, I’m a little iffy about Wilderness because of the fat content, though the nutritional benefits are there.

Again, are these okay for my dog because of their overall quality, or should I be looking for something lower in fat? If I’m feeding Divine Delights during the day and Wilderness at night, is this a sufficient balance?

*Note: I’m sticking to wet food.

Thanks in advance 🙂

• This topic was modified 9 years, 8 months ago by Brando F.
    • This topic was modified 9 years, 8 months ago by Brando F.
    #49009 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

If you feed a variety of formulas of wet food that have varying amounts of fat, he should be ok. You could just reduce the amount of Wilderness slightly since it has more calories. My dogs also like Weruva, Wellness Stews, and Merrick.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.