SHEPS DOG FOOD FROM ALDI

Dog Food Advisor Forums Canine Nutrition SHEPS DOG FOOD FROM ALDI

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    milasmom
    Participant

It’s pretty gross. A lot of ppl love it. It was recommended by ppl at the store their. Without reading the Ingredients, I bought a bag. My dog LOVED it. Then I read the ingredients. I almost cried.

Here it is in order:
    Whole grain corn, Poultry by-product meal, Animal fat, Corn gluten meal, Meat and bone meal, Soybean meal, Brewers rice, Ground wheat, Dehulled barley, Natural favor, salt, potassium, blah bah blah….
    The rest of the list was minerals and junk.

I had to wonder if they even like dogs!!!!

#20968 Report Abuse

Hi Milasmom,

Since we get so many requests, we would love to review this product. However, since we can’t find this info on a company website, we would need the following help from one of our readers:

1. A readable photo image of the complete ingredients list

2. A readable photo image of the label’s “Guaranteed Analysis”. This panel contain the protein, fat, fiber and moisture content of the recipe

3. Question: Is there only one recipe for Sheps Dog Food (flavor) — or are there different versions of the brand?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mike Sagman, Editor
    The Dog Food Advisor

#20970 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Hi Dr. Mike,

I posted pictures of that stuff from a bag of Shep a few weeks ago in one of the review threads. I’m not sure if I still have the pics, but I will track them down and post them here for you. I’m not sure if there are different varieties of that food. Every time I’ve seen the food display in Aldi, it’s only been the one variety…

#20971 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

photo original.jpg

photo original2.jpg

photo original3.jpg

• This reply was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by Cyndi.
    • This reply was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by Cyndi.
    #20974 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

There you go! Hopefully that’s all you need! 🙂

#20978 Report Abuse

OMG, thanks Cyndi! That’s a HUGE help. I’ll send this over to Sandy so we can review it soon. I really appreciate your help.

Mike

#21002 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

You are very welcome! 🙂 Glad I could help! & thank YOU, for this site and for doing what you do!
    Have a great day! 🙂

#21005 Report Abuse

Thanks to your help, Sandy has already done much of the research work and the review itself should be posted very soon. Thanks again for the photos. We couldn’t have done this without your help.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by Mike Sagman.
    #21008 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

even though I won’t ever feed the food, thanks Cyndi, for helping Mike!

#21009 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

No problem at all! Glad I could help!

#21028 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Dr. Mike,

I forwarded an email to you from Bruce Shealy of Hi-Tek, who is one of the manufacturers of Aldi’s Shep Dog Food. He sent me some ingredient information and has actually been very responsive to my request for some information about the product.

If you don’t see my email, you might want to check your spam folder as I use an AOL address and get bumped to spam frequently as a result. I also forwarded the same email to Sandy that I sent to you.

Thanks!

Peace, Betsy

#21029 Report Abuse
    somebodysme
    Participant

I really don’t think that the “Average Joe” would give a second’s thought that the food they are feeding their dog might not be very healthy. But when you think about it, the people themselves aren’t eating healthy food either…read ingredient labels on people food! YIKES! The last dogs I had, I didn’t have any sort of Internet site to research…they ate Come N Get It because it was the only food they liked, tried the “good stuff” they wouldn’t touch it…our dogs all lived to be around 15 years old.

The people at ALDI probably think Shep’s is just awesome!

#21031 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I use to be an “average Joe” too! I got the most coloful kibble with pretty shapes for dog and cat food! Didn’t read the label at all! 🙁 But my love for Mr Ducky turned me around fast!! He doesn’t get bad food now, just me!

#21033 Report Abuse

Hi Cyndi,

Do you know anything about when you purchased that bag of Shep Dog Food. I need to be sure that this is a recent recipe. Even the company that makes it can’t tell me anything. Thanks.

#21034 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Oh my, Dr. Mike, lol! I wouldn’t waste my money on that “stuff” or subject my dog to it! LOL! I just responded to your email.

#21038 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

You know what really bums me out…, go to this page: http://www.nutrisourcedogfood.com/nutrisource/products

The poor NutriSource dog is the same clipart dog as the Shep dog!

#21039 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

That really is a bummer! Wonder who had it first? I bet I know….

#21337 Report Abuse
    Frank J. Casella
    Participant

Betsy and Cyndi, speaking as a photographer, that picture seems to be flipped. Chances are it’s a stock picture and the dog most likely has not touched either food. In marketing and advertising, what a company says in their copy has to have some truth do it, but not so much with the pictures where their is a grey area.

#79381 Report Abuse
    Jack P

Betsy

Might I please get copy of emails concerning Shep canned food sent to DR Mike and others?

Thank you Betsy

Peace – Hope – Love

#79384 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Jack,

This was quite a while ago (July of 2013) and the email that I received from Hi-Tek said that, at that time, they were one of the manufacturers of Shep dry dog food. The email that I forwarded to Dr. Mike was simply a pdf of the bag label as he didn’t readily have access to the ingredients. I don’t have any information at all about their canned foods.

Sorry I don’t have more information about this for you.

#87168 Report Abuse
    Francine R

I bought Shep Pure Being du dog food. There is not one ounce of grain in it. It has many of the same ingredients as the high – priced food at Petco. I can send anyone a picture of the whole bag. One of my Eskies has a sissy stomach. If the food isn’t good it’s like a spackle shot layer! Both Eskies loved it and neither had an issue. I gave them a few kibble at a time to start.

The food has the same slightly oily consistency as the Blue Buffalo. But, I’m TIRED of paying $60 for a bag of dog food that probably cost $8 to make! It’s RIDICULOUS these prices. I’m now saving $36 a pop, OVER HALF of what I spent on Blue Buffalo. No itching and scratching from my dog. A CLEAR sign there are no grains.

#87187 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Francine,
    I cannot find any info on the food. Can you share the ingredient list?

#87260 Report Abuse
    Francine R

Salmon, chicken meal (cooked at high temperatures to remove fat and water), sweet potato, whole ground garbanzo bean, pea flour,chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, pea starch, fish meal, ground flaxseed, dried chickory root, dried cranberries, blueberries, carrots, lactobacillus casei fermentation product dehydrated, lactobacillus, acidophilus fermentation product dehydrated bifido thermophilum fermentation product dehydrated, enterococcus faecium fermentation product dehydrated, natural (liver) flavor, potassium chloride minerals [ zinc, sulfate, copper sulfate, magnesium sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite] vitamins[ choline chloride, vitamin a supplement, vitamin d3 supplement, vitamin e supplement, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine, hydrochloride [source vitamin b6] riboflavin supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin b12 supplement.

No corn, wheat or soy.
    No by-product meal.
    No added artificial color.
    No added preservatives.

#90719 Report Abuse
    Brian R

Shep has different types of dog food. They have little packages of wet food that is almost the same as cesars, no grains same amount of protein, fat and calories. 1/3 of the price though. My dog loves it!!

#95927 Report Abuse
    Donna H

My local Aldi’s has just started carrying the Pure Being Natural Dog Food (dry kibble). Although I didn’t buy a bag, what I’m remembering of the ingredients list reflects what Francine R posted on June 14 2016.

Has this been reviewed yet? I didn’t find it with a search.

#96785 Report Abuse
    Mara W

I am also curious if the Shep Pure Being has been reviewed or will be in the future. I am new to the whole dog food thing (we don’t actually even have a dog yet) but from what little I know it looks decent. This link is to some photos I took of the back of the bags today: http://imgur.com/a/NPXPZ

Edit: The link isn’t showing up so I am assuming there are restrictions on links, but I do have some photos if anybody wants to see them, or I can type up the ingredients when I have time. 🙂

• This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by Mara W.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by Mara W.
    #104031 Report Abuse
    Vito M

My dog loves Shep sausage treats. Ingredients sound fine. Would like some
    feedback as to thoughts, here is description:
    Made with real chicken, turkey & pork.
    No artificial colors or flavors.
    Guaranteed analysis: crude protein min 28%, crude fat min 22%, crude fiber max 4%,
    moisture max 32%
    Ingredients: turkey, pork, salt, sodium tripolyphosphate, potassium sorbate (a preservative)
    sodium hexametaphosphate, garlic extract, rosemary extract.
    I’m a fairly new dog owner and would like thoughts.

#111629 Report Abuse
    Aimee Y

I just bought a bag of what Francine had posted. My dog has allergies very bad so I thought this looked like a good grain free option. The only review I see on this site looks like very old ingredients…. Can you please review this again with the most current recipe of this dog food on the market at Aldi’s? BTW, it appears the brand name of this food is now ‘heart to tail’….

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by Aimee Y.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.