šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Dog_Obsessed

Someone on Facebook said that Sentinel Spectrum contains corn meal and propylene glycol. I was doubtful, because I thought it was a good, minimally invasive, product. I searched “Sentinel Spectrum inactive ingredients” and got this on a site called vetlabel.com

BROWN IRON OXIDE
    SODIUM CHLORIDE
    WATER
    GLYCERIN
    PROPYLENE GLYCOL
    BUTYLATED HYDROXYANISOLE
    PROPYL GALLATE
    CITRIC ACID MONOHYDRATE
    BEEF
    SUCROSE
    STARCH, CORN

I trust you guys more than I trust a Facebook post or random website, but it seems weird. Does anyone know if Sentinel Spectrum actually contains these ingredients?

#61020 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I wouldn’t doubt it myself. The corn starch is used to hold the tablet together. Beef and sucrose are for flavor, so is sodium chloride. Citric acid keeps the tablet from turning funny colors in spots and brown iron oxide is to make it that nice brown color. The other ingredients probably make it slide down the throat easier. They put things I wouldn’t want to feed in every tablet, EVERY tablet. It is what it is. That small amount once a month with plenty of time in between to detox shouldn’t be an issue, except for the yuck factor.

#61023 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I’m most worried about the preservatives, propylene glycol and propyl gallete.

#61076 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I just confirmed these ingredients on the FDA website: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/spl/data/794f4016-57b4-4e7e-bff0-7ce3c327344f/794f4016-57b4-4e7e-bff0-7ce3c327344f.xml

Sigh…If Dori could come by with her opinion that would be good, because I know she uses it.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by Dog_Obsessed.
    #61082 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I don’t like feeding either of those to my dogs, but you would be hard pressed to find any heartworm prevention that didn’t have those or other ingredients just as bad. And that includes straight plain Ivermectin. At least it’s only one time a month or every 40-45 days.

#61084 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I just looked up the inactive ingredients to Heartguard, which is what I give Lily now. I couldn’t find them ANYWHERE online, and they’re not on the package either. šŸ™

#61095 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Well, they dilute ivermectin down to 1% by adding PG to make Ivomec and that’s supposed to be the purest form that you should use on a dog. I know the texture of Heartgard is really close to those semi-moist foods that are loaded with PG, so I’ve always assumed that’s what is in it. I could be wrong, but if they were proud of their ingredients, they would be bragging about it, not trying to hide it.

#61096 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Good point. It’s hard to find a preventative without all that stuff in it, I guess. I am looking at the Mercola flea and tick preventative instead of spot-on treatments. It says it also prevents mosquitoes, but I don’t want to mess around with Heartworm. I guess every pet owner just does what they can with what they have.

#61136 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi Dog Obsessed. As you know I’ve been using Sentinel for years and years with absolutely no issues whatsoever. I switched to Sentinel Spectrum approx. 3 months ago. I think that’s when the other old time worm med was added.

As to the reason that I do not use Heartgard is two fold. One, Sentinel has always worked for all dogs I’ve had on it. I’ve never had a HW issue or flea or worm issue while they’ve (present and past dogs). Two, I’ve called and spoken to people at Merial (the makers of Heartgard) and they will not give me the list of inactive ingredients because they say it is proprietary information and they are not allowed to disclose this information. For me, that ended any thoughts on using their product. Other companies give out ingredients and inactive ingredients but they choose not to? Because it’s proprietary information? What’s in it that they choose for me not to know? Anyway, that response did not sit well with me.

As to BC’s response to you. She’s absolutely correct. You really would be hard pressed to find a HW preventative or most any other meds that don’t have one or two ingredients that you’re not going to be happy with. I’m not thrilled with some of the ingredients in Sentinel Spectrum but at least I know that they are in there. And also as BC said, I’m not concerned about the minute amount that might be ingested either monthly or every 40 – 45 days. They will most likely detox any of it before their next dose. It doesn’t stay in them forever or you wouldn’t have to give monthly or every 40 – 45 days. My girls are in good health nutritionally speaking and their immune systems are working as they should be so that I’m pretty confident their systems can deal with it just fine. Even Hannah’s blood work all comes back normal at this point. If I had a sickly, immune compromised dog I’m not sure what I would do. But I don’t so I don’t have to worry about it. As I’ve always said to you, imho, the cure for HW is much worse than the prevention. You have to make a choice which way to go and I made mine. Some people choose not to give any HW preventative and take their chances. That’s just not me. You could drive yourself crazy with every ingredient in every med, preventative, shampoo, food, etc. etc. but at some point you’ll need to make a choice and let the issue go.

#61147 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Thanks Dori. I agree that the HW treatment is much worse than the prevention. That’s scary though, about Heartguard not releasing the inactive ingredients. Sounds like it might be six of one, half a dozen of the other when it comes to choosing preventatives. There will always be advantages and disadvantages. I guess I might as well go ahead with the Sentinel Spectrum, at least they’re honest about the ingredients. I know some people use garlic, but that is also controversial and potentially risky.

#64281 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Okay, so if possible I’m going to switch Lily onto Sentinel. I have a few questions about it:

1. Should I use Sentinel or Sentinel Spectrum? The only difference is that Sentinel Spectrum also prevents tapeworm. I don’t want to do any prevention I don’t need to, but is that worth it?

2. On this article on Dogaware.com: http://dogaware.com/articles/wdjheartwormprevention.html#dosage
    It suggests giving .05 mg of milbemycin oxime per pound of body weight to prevent Heartworm, also stating that the dosage is much higher to prevent intestinal worms. The size of Sentinel/Sentinel Spectrum that Lily would be getting, the 8.1-25lb size, contain 5.75 mg of milbemycin oxime, which is over 10 times than she needs to prevent Heartworm! Is that okay? Should I give the one for the lower size?(2-8lbs) Lily is 10 pounds, BTW.

If anyone could give me input on these questions, that would be great. Thanks!

#64293 Report Abuse
    Jennifer H

I don’t mean to hijack, but out of curiosity, are the tablets better than the topicals? I have Toby on Advantage Multi but I still see a flea or two occasionally (then again, this IS Florida….)

Do the tablets contain less harmful ingredients? I hate giving him what is basically a pesticide, but I just will not risk having him get HWs.

#64298 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi Dog Obsessed. I give the girls Sentinel Spectrum. I live in the South and try to keep them protected as best I can. We have a lot of fleas, ticks, mosquitos and all sorts of creepy things here. So the Sentinel Spectrum covers them not only from heart worms but fleas (where they can get tape worms) and if they were to get (ingest) a flea infected with tapeworms they’ll be covered. Of course they can get tapeworms from dead and decaying animals on walks and feces infected on walks and hiking and dog parks where owners aren’t picking up their dogs poops immediately and some don’t pick up at all. Anyway, that’s my understanding of some of the ways dogs can get tapeworms from reading some sites on line.

On the second part of your question as to dosage, I give the 2 – 8 lbs. because all three girls fall under the 8 lbs.

For Lily at 10 lbs. I would almost be tempted to go with the 2 – 8 lbs. BUT….if while on Sentinel she were to get heart worms because you gave her the lower dose and did not give it to her twelve months a year while they suggest the higher dose and monthly, they will not absorb any of the cost of treatment for heart worms. I hope I worded my thoughts here on the dosing. I guess it would be a gamble on your part. If Lily’s pretty much a housebound and yard dog and not going for walks and hiking where she would encounter feces and stuff that are infected with tapeworms then it’s possible she would be ok on the lower dose, maybe. But if you take her on long walks and hiking letting her sniff around all sorts of stuff or let her off leash in dog parks then there would be more of a possibility of her getting tape worms. Has Lily ever had tapeworms before? Are there a lot of dogs in your area or at her vets practice coming in with tapeworms? That would help you make your decision also. In my area of Atlanta there are quite a number of dogs being treated for tapeworms and heart worms so it’s a no brainer for me.

Jennifer H. Sorry I can’t help with your question. I don’t put topical solutions on my dogs.

#64303 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Thanks Dori! Lily has never had tapeworms in the 6 months I’ve had her, but I don’t know about the first ~3 years of her life. I don’t know how common they are around here, but we did have a foster dog that once had them. I would give any Heartworm preventative year round here, because it gets below freezing maybe four nights a year or something. Never cold enough to stop the preventative. Our normal vet doesn’t carry Sentinel, but there is a 24 hour vet that Lily has been to a few times that said they can call in a prescription for it today.

Pre-post edit: Turns out the vet doesn’t have Sentinel Spectrum. The range for regular Sentinel is 2-10 pounds, so that is what we will be giving her. Thanks for all your help!

Edit: I looked up the inactive ingredients of Sentinel, figuring they were about the same as Sentinel Spectrum. However, the only inactive ingredient I could find was something called “Ferric Oxide Red.” What?

• This reply was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by Dog_Obsessed.
    #64322 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

That gives it the meaty color.

#64323 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Thanks! How could that be the only inactive ingredient though? Doesn’t it need something to hold it together?

#64329 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

There are funny rules for how they have to list ingredients and they may not be listing them all. Big pharma has really skewed the laws on this. You wouldn’t believe what I went through trying to figure out which heartworm prevention to give Micah due to his food intolerances. They can claim any number of things are proprietary and legally not disclose them as long as they aren’t the “active ingredients.”

#64330 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Yeah, Dori was mentioning that with Heartguard, which is one of the reasons I decided to switch. The main other one is that Sentinel also does fleas.

I agree that it is totally ridiculous, and true throughout the human and animal medical industry. I worry about allergies, as you said, especially people who have severe allergies to milk, eggs, nuts, etc. that could be inactive ingredients in medicines.

#64376 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I gave her the Sentinel tonight. It was TINY, like, smaller than my pinky nail! It convinced my that maybe the only inactive ingredient was the coloring. I would still think it needs something holding it together, but I figure it can’t have much of whatever nasty stuff they would put in. I was prepared to give it to her in peanut butter, but she ate it plain just fine.

#64379 Report Abuse
    Dori

I hope you gave it to her with food??????? It helps in case there may be any initial tummy issues. I always give them their Sentinel with the a.m. meal so they have full tummies.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by Dori.
    #64381 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Yes, the pharmacist said to give with a full meal, which I did. Would it help to give her some Perfect Form now if I can get her to eat the stuff without food?

#64383 Report Abuse
    Dori

Oh thank goodness! No, it’s not necessary. I was just scared that you gave it to her without food. It’s almost 10 p.m. here and I forgot the 3 hour time difference. I was concerned that you gave it to her without food and close to bed time. Typically if she’s going to have a tummy side effect (that won’t last) and is not the norm would be nausea or diarrhea. It’s never happened with any dogs I’ve had on Sentinel but I did read earlier that that’s the possible side effect. Don’t forget to mark it on your calendar so that you can remember what day of the month you gave it to her. I do it on the first of the month and then just put it on my iPhone as a monthly entry so that it reminds me. Half the time I don’t know what day of the week it is let alone what the date is. With both hubby and I retired it’s tough to keep track of days, dates. Without my iPhone telling me where I’m suppose to be on any given day I’d be lost.

#64385 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Thanks! The first time we gave her Heartguard she threw it up 15 minutes later, but I think that was because she just sort of swallowed it without chewing it much. She was always fine after that. I’ll be sure to mark the calendar, and I might as well set up an i-cal reminder too.

#64387 Report Abuse
    Dori

i-cal reminder is good too. The 18th of the month is a hard day to remember every month that’s why I give it to them on the 1st. Like I said though, without the reminders I’d be forgetting and all screwed up.

#64389 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I can generally remember things pretty well in groups of fours, which works well because four weeks is close to a month. A reminder is a good back up though.

#66473 Report Abuse
    Oleanderz

Topic jumping, but does anyone know if I can I use a topical flea preventative with the Sentinel Spectrum? (Preferrably K9 Advantix II, because I buy in bulk) ‘m looking at the website and some reviews and peeps are saying that it doesn’t protect against adult fleas. Only the larvae and the eggs are present on the comparison chart as well. Does anybody have any problems with just using Sentinel Spectrum during Spring/Summer?

#66476 Report Abuse
    Naturella

@Oleanderz, I live in the South where it is hot and flea-friendly dang near all year round. In the beginning when I switched to just Sentinel, I did see a couple of fleas on my Bruno for about a month or so (it doesn’t kill the adult ones). Then since September, when we started using the Spectrum (and it started getting “cooler” in GA terms of cool), he’s been flea-free. I have continued using Sentinel Spectrum, in fact just bought the next batch to last us till September of this year, and I plan to use it during the Spring and Summer. Don’t anticipate any problems, and if there is an occasional stray flea, they usually go away quickly unless I manage to snatch it up and squish it (though they are SO hard to squish).

I probably wouldn’t use any topical unless it was natural (like Cedarcide or Diatomaceous Earth).

#66477 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Great question! I use Sentinel once a month with Mercola Natural Defense Flea and Tick Spray (made with natural oil) twice a week, and this has worked pretty well, but we’ll see what happens in the summer. Then again, I live in California, so we don’t really have much of winter. šŸ˜€

I’m not a fan of spot-on topical flea preventatives, and I am not sure if it would be okay to combine them with an oral one. The ingredients are different, so it would probably be okay, but I would recommend using a natural option, or at least checking with your vet/the company first.

One note on Diatomaceous Earth, if you use it make sure it is food-grade, and try to keep you and your pet from inhaling it.

#66478 Report Abuse
    Dori

Oleanderz, if you are using Sentinel Spectrum, which is what I use on my three girls (and before that I used regular Sentinel for more years than I can remember), then there is no need for you to use any topical whatsoever. As a matter fact you should not. I don’t want to jinx myself, I also live in South not too far from Naturella, and none of my dogs have ever had fleas. Here in the South we have a big population of fleas, ticks and Heart Worms and using Sentinel Spectrum every month all year long has kept them flea and heart worm free.

There are natural flea solutions but I don’t use anything other than Sentinel Spectrum.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by Dori.
    #66491 Report Abuse
    Oleanderz

Naturella- Hmm, I live in the North, but not too north that it’s snowing all the time. I don’t see many fleas at all up here. Maybe once in my life I’ve seen a flea manifestation and it was with my cousins cats at a house they had moved into. Oh no, squishing fleas is far beyond my territory. I don’t know what I’d do if I found a flea on Lucille. I have also never heard of nature remedies for fleas, I’ll look up those two just in case. I have a feeling this summer is going to be an angry one. Thank you! (‘ v ‘ )

D_O- Sprays might be a good idea, that way we can spritz and go for walks! Oh yeah, I know you guys don’t have much of winter. I stayed at Santa Monica for two weeks and it was GORGEOUS the whole time. *wipes a single tear* lucky ducks!!
    I like the reviews I’m seeing on the DE, I may go with that if the Best Yet: Bug Spray is a bust. Does the DE not work from inside out? Do I have her eat it? Why would inhaling it be a problem? Should I mix it in with food if that’s the case? She sniffs at everything! Is this the stuff? I just want to be safe –> http://smile.amazon.com/Diatomaceous-Earth-Food-Grade-10/dp/B00025H2PY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423838906&sr=8-1&keywords=Diatomaceous+Earth+Food+Grade Thanks for the tips! I didn’t know so many people went natural with bug repelling!

Dori- Really? Well, that’s good to know that Sentinel and Spectrum can both stand on their own in extreme conditions. I live in the North, and while it’s not extremely humid, we do take walkabouts in the nearby forest every now and then and I want her to be as protected as possible, so I may still end up trying the natural topicals. Thank you so much for your input! šŸ˜€

#66492 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Here is some information about inhaling DE: http://www.deq.state.or.us/er/docs/LowerBridge/DiatomaceousEarthFactSheet.pdf
    It only talks about humans inhaling DE, so I am not sure about pets. I have heard that you can give it orally for prevention/elimination of worms, but I think it would be more effective when used externally for flea and tick prevention.

I can’t use it, because I am allergic to dust and have sensitive lungs, but I have heard that people have had good results with it.

#66505 Report Abuse
    Naturella

@Oleanderz, Cedarcide is also a topical natural oil mix to be sprayed on the dog. If things got REALLY bad, I would use that, but if not, I am not afraid of 1-2 fleas. I will see how Sentinel Spectrum works out this summer. šŸ™‚

#66524 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

I was reading an article about Heartworms in my area. The article was from a few years back, but one mosquito preventative that was mentioned in it was Avon’s Skin So Soft. I forgot about that product. I’m not even sure if it is around anymore. Has anyone tried this on themselves or their dogs?

#66527 Report Abuse
    Dori

OMG! C4C. LOL! I’d forgotten all about Avon’s Skin So Soft. I used to use it all the time back when I lived on Cape Cod on myself. If memory serves me it specifically had to be the lotion, I think. It was never meant to be used on animals. People only and truth be told it did help a bit. Cape Cod is mosquito and green fly land. I’m sure Avon is still around and they probably still sell Skin So Soft. It was a staple in their line. It had gotten so popular at one point that they had a hard time keeping up production. I have no recollection as to what ingredient would have been in it that repelled the mosquitos. Probably some hideously toxic ingredients. I was pretty ignorant back then about stuff like that. Hell, I was still laying around getting sun on the beach. Funny how I forgot about Skin So Soft. Thanks for the memories C4C.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by Dori.
    #66536 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Avon’s SSS is still around. I have a few bottles in my bathroom, nothing radioactive in it the usual drug store beauty product ingredients. They also used to promote it for use with horses. I never used it on any animals or myself for bug repellent. I think you can find as much info about it working as you can for it not working to repel insects.

#66547 Report Abuse
    Nancy C

I have worked with one homeopath who recommends NO heart worm meds. ??? Correct. He says he has had his great danes for 30 yrs, and he’s always had 5 or 6 of them, NEVER given them heartworm meds and they have never had heart worms. NONE of them. He feeds raw and he says THAT is the key. Total raw. He also told me that in the last 7 years he has never lost a dog patient to heart worms.
    There are several other Homeopathic websites I frequent. One is VitalAnimal.com in Texas with Dr. Will Falconer who is nationally known (his website is wonderful) and Dr. Patricial Jordan in Asheville NC. (Her bio is beyond belief)… They DO NOT RECOMMEND ANY heartworm meds! So My two dogs are not on it now and I am trying to decide what to do in the spring. Also the homeopath, Dr. Dobias in California does not recommend either. So tell me: Anyone reading this doing some REthinking about it. The heartworm meds are VERY toxic themselves and there is good reason to be very suspicious of them. The Pharmaceuticals have penetrated the vets and they have scared us to death. Fear is a big piece of the problem. And I find myself being fearful too. Will be interested in what anyone has to say about this.

#66552 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

After Losul shared his personal experience with heartworms with us, I’ll never NOT give my dogs heartworm preventative. Since he first told us about Turbo months ago, I have been vigilant with dosing my dogs. And, I believe, that raw is not a guarantee that your dogs won’t get adult heartworms. Just my .02.

#66555 Report Abuse
    Dori

I agree with you DogFoodie and have posted often after Losul’s experience with Turbo. I will forever give all three girls and any and all dogs forever after HW meds monthly all year round. I’m not willing to take a chance and gamble with heart worms and my girls. Raw is never, nor has it ever been considered a deterant (sp?) against heart worms or any other worms or parasites. If only that were so! I’ve been feeding my girls raw for the past three years but will not expose them to the possibility of getting heart worms or any other type of worms and parasites if I can help it. Raw is a good alternative, in my opinion, to feeding kibble but it is not a preventative for worms nor do I believe it is the be all and end all of nutrition.

#66556 Report Abuse
    Dori

Nancy. No disrespect to you or your homeopath but I believe it also depends on the area that one lives in and the prevalence of heart worms and parasites and disease in the area that one lives in that needs to be taken into account. There is no one blanket statement for what works for some will work for all. If that were the case, there would not be a need for sites like DFA and others on all things canine or feline.

#66606 Report Abuse
    Oleanderz

D_O- Thank you for that valuable info, after doing a bit of research on DE, I have decided that this product is not for me. I’m going to play it safe with my pup; since I’m away at school most of the time. My brothers aren’t the most attentive of teenagers and I believe a simple spritz and go would do the trick so I’ve ordered the CedarCide best yet spray. I’ll let everyone know how it’s working around the second month of Spring. It’ll be plenty warm enough for the mites and maggots to start stirring around here!

Naturella- Are you on you on your first year of Sentinel Spectrum as well? It’ll be fascinating to see how we both end up this year! Though I guess Dori’s dogs are more than enough proof of legit-ness of this brand. Good luck with Bruno! (I’m guessing that’s him on your icon? He’s a cutie!!)

C4C- No, I wasn’t even aware Avon had a bug protection line. Sorry! (The reviews seem pretty solid, dunno how they’d work on pets though.)

I haven’t given Lucille anything steady since her first year with Interceptor; it was only because of my childhood novice, inexperience with dogs and financial standing that I didn’t even think about heartworm medications. After reading about the terrible tragedy with Turbo, I have decided to no longer go without the meds either. I recently got the ok from my vet for my pup to begin with SS and CedarCide if all else fails, I will return her to the Interceptor. Hopefully they haven’t chopped and screwed the formula too bad.

#83300 Report Abuse
    tuckersmom

Hi, I’m new to the forums, but have a question regarding Sentinel Spectrum. I have three dogs, Tucker @ 7.2 pounds, Ollie @ 8.2 pounds, and Jack @ 8.4 pounds.

It’s Ollie and Jack that I’m concerned about. I just can’t see putting them on the 8.1 to 25 pound Sentinel Spectrum, and yet that is what my vet and a CSR @ Sentinel (Virbac) told me to do. I know splitting that size dose between the two of them would void any company responsibility if one or both of them contracted heartworms, but in splitting the dose, they both will be getting enough for 12.2 pound dogs. My husband and I talked it over, and we agreed that a split dose would more than suffice to prevent heartworms in Ollie and Jack. And we don’t want to give them a dose high enough to protect a 25 pound dog.

All three pups are indoors except for potty breaks. Any thoughts?

#83303 Report Abuse
    anonymously

I use sentinel, it comes in 2-10 pounds and 11 to 25 pounds for doses. I give my 9-10 pound dog the lower dose and my 15 and 20 pound dogs the higher dose (every 6 weeks).
    My vet would prefer that I use the higher dose for all 3 and give every month all year round. But, I give them a break and skip when the ground is frozen, maybe a dose or two….it depends on lifestyle and where you are located whether it would be wise to take chances.
    Do you need the sentinel spectrum? Ask your vet if regular sentinel would be good enough. There isn’t much difference, just one additional ingredient.

Splitting tablets that are not scored (I don’t believe sentinel is scored) could result in an inadequate dose as the ingredients may not be evenly distributed within the tablet, one dog might get too much of one ingredient and the other dog not enough,etc. So, that is not a good idea. I am a nurse.
    Also, you can use the search engine here, to see previous comments.

#83367 Report Abuse
    anonymously

“Equal distribution of medicine in split tablets is questionable. Studies have shown that the actual dose in each half of a split tablet often is different. So while the two halves may look the same, they don’t necessarily contain equal amounts of medicine. Even if the tablet is scored with a line that runs down the middle, one half may actually have more medicine than the other”.
    Above is an excerpt from:
    http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm171492.htm

#83373 Report Abuse
    tuckersmom

My pup, Ollie, takes the drug Apoquel. The pill is scored, thankfully, because Ollie’s prescription is for him to only take 1/2 a pill per day. It doesn’t come in a smaller dose. Some larger dogs have to take one and 1/2 of the larger dose pills. I sure hope the medicine is evenly distributed in Apoquel.

I may just go with the lowest dose of Sentinel Spectrum for all three of mine, since they are just ounces over the dose recommended. My vet doesn’t carry the Sentinel Flavor tabs.

Thanks for your response and also for the link.

#146057 Report Abuse
    Sidelle B

Sentinel Spectrum is POISON Period
    My Timba is 1/2 German Shepherd & 1/2 Huskie. Gave it to him for 3 yrs before he had a Seizure. He had it 2/25/19 Lasted a long time. He threw up out back 1st. He looked like a bug dying from being Sprayed. My Security Camera caught the whole thing. I posted it on FB. I researched EVERYWHERE. Did Elimination. Complete Blood Work Up. I was afraid it might be Vectra D. The FDA needs to step in & step up to checking these things out. People that buy these Meds only do it because they LOVE their FAM Members. It’s Not Cheap. His Bloodwork came back Normal. Called owner of the Timba’s father & no history of Seizure in either one. Was afraid to use Vectra again but if 1 flea is around it will find me. Natural Stuff doesn’t work. Used Vectra & he was Ok. I’m not diligent on Heartworm pills in off months but in April thought I better give it. So gave it to him. May 13th he came in & collapsed at my feet into a Seizure. This time seemed more like a Seizure & I tried to talk him thru it & pet him. Didn’t last as long as 1st one. Called my Vet. Took him in. Bought the Meds & asked what he would do. I said I didn’t want to put him on it yet. I had a dog years ago that was Epileptic. He ran into things etc. & flashing lights like Xmas would send him into one. Timba was Different. He said he’d do what I wanted to do. Buy the Meds to Have on hand & see if he has another Seizure. I wanted to find out the REASON & knew I wouldn’t if I put him on Meds. I Bought Purina Neurocare which he recommended.
    Timba loved it at 1st. I think it’s Cleaned his system out along w Milk Thistle & pureed watermelon. So now it’s already June & I think I should give him the Pill. He liked it in the Beginning. But Lately didn’t want to take them. Dogs are Smart & KNOW things when WE don’t. I watched another video of someone’s dog having a seizure after some Flea stuff. I thought about it & decided I wouldn’t give it. Afterall How TOXIC does something have to be to KILL things like Fleas from inside. That is a GIVEN & NO ONE should Give any of that. I finally found a Blog of this lady w 3 GSDs & Wow. I knew this was why he had a SEIZURE.
    Never gave SENTINEL SPECTRUM POISON Again. Even wrote them. It took 3 yrs. for this GARBAGE to manifest into a Seizure for My Baby. He has not had another one. I still use Vectra D . If I use any Heartworm med again it would be Interceptor since it seems Safest but I don’t know that I will. You can draw their blood for titers to catch the larvae before it’s a worm. I live in SoCal & my Vet said I probably don’t have to worry too much unless I take him to the Mtns or beach. It’s now been 4 months. No Seizures…………… SENTINEL SPECTRUM IS POISON
    I had a dog get Heartworms years ago when I was in Okla for a couple years. Was Terrible but we treated him & he got better & lived another 7 yrs.
    https://www.facebook.com/sidelle/videos/10216707066167999/UzpfSTEyMDE4MDA3MDM6Vks6NDA0NzA4MjcwMjMyNDM0/?comment_id=405162720186989&reply_comment_id=405170330186228&notif_id=1567985476776943&notif_t=group_comment

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.