Sensitive Stomach

Dog Food AdvisorForumsCanine NutritionSensitive Stomach

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Elaine
    Participant

I have a 3 year old neutered male Golden. I think he has a mildly sensitive stomach and am wondering what would be the best dry and also canned food for this. I am looking for a top quality dog food. Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Mom2Cavs

First off, what are you feeding currently? There may be plenty of foods that might work for your Golden and you might want to start looking here on this site. I would start with 4-5 star foods and begin by checking out the reviews section and the best hypoallergenic foods or best dry/can foods and go from there. Are you feeding grains? Maybe your dog is intolerant of these and a grainfree food would be best. Maybe your need to change the protein in the food, say from chicken to fish, etc. I know I’ve not given you an actual food to try yet, but remember not all foods work for all dogs. I hope these suggestion do you some good :).

Elaine
    Participant

Thanks for the good suggestions. I have been feeding a 3 star which is the best I could find locally (I live in the middle of nowhere). I did travel some distance once to get Blue Buffalo salmon (dry) but he really didn’t like it. I will check out the hypoallergenic on this site and think trying a grainfree is a good idea. Thanks again.

Mom2Cavs

I can understand your predicament….my Mom lives in the middle of nowhere, as well, and has to drive 1 hour to find any decent cat food. She has no pet stores around her and can’t order online…she doesn’t have a credit/debit card. I wish she lived near me (but that’s another story lol). In fact, that is a suggestion for your…..if you can, and you find a food you would like to try but can’t buy it locally maybe you could order online. Sometimes the online sites are cheaper and they offer free shipping. If you have a Petsmart near you they have some brands that might be okay for your sensitive dog. Of course, there’s Blue but they also carry Wellness which has a hypoallergenic diet and Castor & Pollux, which is owned by Merrick now. They do have their house brand, which I feed sometims, called Simply Nourish. The canned food is great and they have a limited ingredient kibble in that brand, too. Petsmart also carries Innova, another pretty decent brand. Now, if you shop at Petco, then they have some more variety. They carry Merrick, Nature’s Variety, Solid Gold, Pinnacle, etc. Good luck to you, and I hope this helps!

Elaine
    Participant

Yes, thanks, it does help. I’ve noted your suggestions. I am
    a little more than an hour away from both a Petsmart and a Petco. I’m a bit closer to a place that sells Blue but I’m going to choose a few of your suggestions and look into those as well. Thanks again!

matt1186
    Participant

I’ve worked at Petsmart before if that’s the one you’re closest to. (even though an independent store would be better) Wellness Core and Blue Wilderness are the highest quality foods they sell. I recommend the fish formula in either. I think Blue Wilderness is a slightly better price. Good luck.

NectarMom

It soley depends on the dogs system. Not every kibble will work for every dog. I have all 4 of my dogs on a Allergy kibble for going on just over a month and the hair shed and scratching is like I have never seen with any of them. I am getting a bit concerned and do not like seeing my dogs in any discomfort , All I can add is do your research and then some and watch your dogs and how they respond. Most diets for our canines are not all they are cut out to be.

Elaine
    Participant

This site lists Blue Buffalo Blue Basics (dry) in the hypoallergenic recommends. I’m going to look into that and a few others. Matt, I tried Blue Wilderness (pretty sure it was Salmon) and he really didn’t like it. I agree with NectarMom that a lot of dog food is poor. I use an excellent Vet clinic/hospital and the Vets there seem to know very little about nutrition. What they sell is not recommended on this site. Thanks everyone!

NectarMom

Vets are not Canine Nutritionalist and will sell the public the brand of dog food that they sell. I work in a Vet Clinic and even the Vets themselves use the food they sell because they can get it free from the supplier. I agree with looking on this site and the reviews by other people that have had similar issues with their pets can be taken into consideration but once again all dogs are different and what they can digest and what they are allergic to. You just have to study your dogs behavior to certain Proteins and try different proteins until you find one that agrees with your Golden.

Lord knows I have tried 100s of high quality kibble with my crew and there has always been an issue wheather it is the protein, other ingredients , Grains, or just plain that the food itself does not stay as fresh as it says it does. IMO The fresh kibble with the higher protein does not stay fresh and I found that out the hard way or my dogs did. All 4 got very sick off of a 5 Star food .

matt1186
    Participant

This might sound confusing but it is common for dogs to not like Blue because unlike any other food I know of Blue’s bites are cooked seperate. The darker piece being vegetables and the lighter piece being meat. Some dogs don’t like that. Wellness core salmon or turkey is hypoallergenic and they hve that at petsmart. But if you can find petsupplies plus or pet lovers store near you they will carry much more premium and hypoallergenic foods, like the ones mom2cavs mentioned. (all very good foods she mentioned, in my opinion) Don’t give up and don’t go on the vet recommended prescription food unless all else fails. It’s by far the most expensive food out there and most vets just recommend it because they sell it. No offense to any vets on here.

Elaine
    Participant

I really appreciate the information and recommendations from all of you. I have a list of about 4 brands that I am looking into. I’ll be near a Petsmart and Petco on the 29th of the month. But in the meantime, I think I should mention that my initial comment was that I thought my Golden might have a mildly sensitive stomach. The symptom that raises the question is that he regurgitates or burps up a clear slimy mucus – maybe about 3 ozs. This doesn’t happen that often but often enough to cause me to wonder about it. Otherwise his digestive system seems normal. He will have his yearly next month and I will bring it up then, maybe take in a mucus speciman if possible. We lost an adored Golden 3 years ago to cancer at 11 years and so I think I’m like a hyper new mother with this one. Anyway, your comments are informed and helpful – thanks!

pugmomsandy
    Participant

Have you considered possible reflux? Does he regurg in the morning? Does he get a bedtime snack? Some dogs I know take Pepsid or Tagamet.

Elaine
    Participant

The regurgitation can happen spontaneously with no apparent trigger but most often happens after he has been drinking water.

NectarMom

One of mine has the exact same thing and it is acid reflux. What has helped my girl is giving her a half of a Pepcid AC first thing in the morning , shes a Chihuahua so quite a bit smaller than your Golden. Are you limiting his food intake or are you free feeding him? Also what helped my girl at the request of a very special member on here ( Patty V) :) I ordered my girls Probiotics and Enzymes from Mercola.com and that was the best thing I could have done. I give 1/2 the dosage of Enzymes on their food in the morning and then in the evening I give 1/2 the dosage of Probiotics on their food. I divide their food up in to two serving in a day. Seriously I have had dogs my whole life and just the last few years I have been through so many Brands of kibble that it just blows my mind in what in the world are they putting in dog food these days. Years ago I never had these issues.

I am terribly sorry for your loss. I also lost a beloved dog from stomach cancer a couple of years back and it just killed me.

NectarMom

Oh since I cannot edit I forgot to say that do not use the generic brands of acid reflux because they do not work like the regular brands like Pepcid. I know some places there sre generic Pepcid and I cannot understand why they do not work but they don’t. I take Acid relux medication myself and so I learned this first hand and my lil girl still had acid reflux on the generic brand also.

Oh shoot now I see the edit…sorry

Elaine
    Participant

My golden is a big boy, 110 lbs. and not fat – he’s just big. My vet would like to see him at no more than 100 lbs. He gets one rounded cup of kibble in the morning and 1 and 1/2 cups kibble with 1/2 can of canned food at 5:30 pm. My vet says he can have all the green beans he wants so most days he gets a can of no salt added green beans around 1 pm. He gets some pup-peroni treats during the day and 1 beggin strip before bed. My vet in the past has prescribed Vetri Mega probiotics for the rare episode of loose stool but not for daily use. Probiotics & enzymes sound like a good idea. I’ll discuss it with my vet and then look into Mercola. What causes reflux? As to Kibble, right now I’m thinking about trying Blue Basic or Wellness.

pugmomsandy
    Participant

Elaine,

You might want to get rid of the Puperoni and Beggin Strips too. Read the ingredient list on the bag!

Elaine
    Participant

Pugmomsandy, I’ve thought about that, particularly the puperoni. Any suggestions as to what is a healthy treat?

pugmomsandy
    Participant

Elaine,

If you like store bought, there are several grain free treats to chose from without chemicals and colors. A place to look at some brands might be http://www.onlynaturalpet.com. But they can also be found at pet stores.

I like using freeze dried foods that come in small pieces as treats like Stella & Chewy’s freeze dried Carnivore Crunch or Carnivore Kisses, Natures Variety Instinct freeze dried food or the freeze dried Boost treats, Nutrisca freeze dried foods, and right now I’m using Vital Essentials freeze dried nibblets as treats. They are small pieces so quite convenient.

If you make homemade, there’s a recipe for pumpkin dog treats with brown rice or a grain free version at

http://www.all-natural-dog-treat.com/homemade-dog-treat-recipes.html

along with other recipes. I don’t do peanut butter treats but I have made the pumpkin treats and it is soooo easy.

There’s a selection of freeze dried treats at FreshisBestInc.com, there’s also BestBullySticks.com that sells USA made stuff.

You can make your own jerky in the oven. Thinly slice chicken and place on lightly greased (olive oil or coconut oil) cookie sheet and bake at lowest oven setting for at least 3 hours. Or you can purchase a dehydrator.

Elaine
    Participant

Great suggestions and ideas! Thank you so much!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.