🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jude N

I’ve read through quite a few older topics on here from ~2013, and it seems like several of the recommended Wysong products are no longer in production…so I was going to ask for more help.

I have a roughly 11 year old rescue dog, probably a chi/JRT mix, who has recently begun showing his age. He’s had inflammation in his back before, and over the weekend he’s been crying when we’ve moved him. Otherwise, he acts perfectly normal.

I’m looking at a Mercola pet joint supplement, but it lacks the ingredients I’m used to seeing with hip & joint support: chondroitin & glucosamine.

I’ve looked into a hip & joint supplement by The Missing Link.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a small dog?

Thank you!

#102748 Report Abuse
    anonymous

In my opinion, your money would be better spent going to the vet for an evaluation and treatment options for pain management and inflammation such as prescription meds.
    Has he had a senior workup? If not, that would be a good place to start.
    Aqua therapy which is offered at some veterinary clinics as rehab, swimming in a pool or walking in water on a treadmill a few times a week can help a lot. https://www.vetinfo.com/aquatic-therapy-for-dogs.html

Supplements are not only most likely ineffective but they often have side effects.
    Perhaps you will find some helpful information here http://skeptvet.com/Blog/?s=mercola
    and http://skeptvet.com/Blog/?s=glucosamine

This is not veterinary advice; consult your veterinarian.

#102750 Report Abuse
    Jude N

Prescription meds often have longterm side effects that can negatively affect the health of my dog. He’s been to the vet recently, had a senior blood panel done, an exam, etc. He has a low grade heart murmur but nothing else was mentioned in his bloodwork, other than being a little dehydrated.

I disagree with your stance on supplements, but thanks for the comment.

Still looking for input regarding which supplement would be best to try.

#102774 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Jude-

There are a few good hip&joint supplements out there. Dasuquin, Cosuquin, and Glycoflex are some of the top ones. You can also supplement with a wild caught salmon or pollock oil as well.

Also what was the vet’s feeling about the inflammation? I’m surprised he did not suggest an anti inflammatory temporarily to reduce the swelling. Prescription drugs of course can have side effects, but they are often needed in the short term.

#102778 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Jude,
    You may need to see vet & get an X Ray, so the vet can see what’s happening, there’s an monthly injection the vet can give to bring relief….I don’t know the name..
    Also apply a heat pack for 20mins, this will bring relief to your dog….

Why don’t you buy the human grade Glucosamine & Chondroitin capsules? they are cheaper & work the best for joint inflammation, anything sold as a dog supplement like Sasha Blend etc the price is doubled……

Just be careful when giving any of these joint supplements as they can cause Acid Reflux & upset the stomach….they MUST be taken with a meal…Krill Oil capsules are the best for people & animals that suffer from stomach problems…

Have a look at “Canidae” Pure Meadow Senior dry, it’s excellent for aging dogs, my neighbours dog eats the Canidae Pure Meadow Senior dry Kibble & acts like he’s a young dog again, his owner also feeds tin Sardines in Spring water, he gives him a few sardines as treat daily…. https://www.canidae.com/dog-food/products
    I give the freeze dried Green Lipped Mussels daily, he gets about 2-3 mussels a day…

#102781 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

My vet just recommended that we start giving our large dogs a joint supplement as well. They are turning six yrs old next week. She suggested glucosamine/chondroitin along with fish oil.
    I just ordered a product from Chewy called Grizzly Joint Aid liquid that contains all of the above. I’m going to give it a shot. Has anyone else tried it?

https://www.chewy.com/grizzly-joint-aid-hip-joint-support/dp/116638

#102800 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I have had luck with Glycoflex, green lipped mussel, In Clover Connectin, K9 Liquid Gold. It sometimes can take awhile to find one that works.

#103164 Report Abuse
    Jude N

Hi all,

Thank you for the replies. As an update, we did take him into the vet. We brought x-rays from his original appointment; the vet didn’t think he needed new images, and was comfortable dx’ing him based on the originals. He said that the old back injury has likely become re-inflamed, and that there’s some thickening around his knee joint. We went home with a 7-day script of Vetprofen, and then a decent amount 1/4 tablets of a painkiller.

I bought a supplement from Chewy. Here are the ingredients:

Active Ingredients Per Chewable Tablet: Glucosamine HCl (Shrimp and Crab) 750 mg Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) 400 mg Chondroitin Sulfate (Porcine) 400 mg Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) 100 mg Manganese (Mn Proteinate) 5 mg

Inactive Ingredients: allspice, brewers yeast, chicken liver flavor, nutmeg, silicon dioxide, stearic acid.

He eats 1/2 a tab at a time. I smash it into a powder and mix it into his breakfast, which is usually just raw tripe.

He seems to be doing a little better. He’s definitely stiff in the mornings.

We’ve had some back and forth with him not seeming very hungry, which is very unlike him, but I’m curious if it’s just because I switched from beef to pork…and he prefers beef above everything else.

I’m going to make another thread in one of the health boards with a couple of additional q’s…not sure how stringent you guys are here about keeping topics in the correct board.

I’m definitely going to look into the green-lipped mussels!!

#103889 Report Abuse
    Sandy c

How’s you chihuahua doing so far?

I’d searched high and low for a joint supplement and came up with Natural Liquid Glucosamine. https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Liquid-Glucosamine-Supplements-Chondroitin/dp/B06XRPF5H9/ I’d researched after my vet recommended it. It is made in the USA (and the ingredients are sourced here too) which was really important to me because there’s no regulation in many pet supplements made outside of the US. Also I wanted something natural as we are health conscious in our household, eat organic, stay away from toxins as much as possible. This one seemed to fit the bill.

Just started yesterday, so too late to say if it’s helping, but my 10 yo Lab likes the taste, and that’s a good thing! 🙂

I was curious to see if others here tried this supplement and came across your post. I hope your pup’s doing better and good luck to all our pets!

#109540 Report Abuse
    Ample N

Hello sir, Please Tell me some good joint supplement for dogs.

#109894 Report Abuse
    Sandy c

Update. The Natural Liquid Glucosamine by Boston Pet Products is working wonders. We used it for 2 weeks before seeing a big difference. He runs up and down the stairs now when before we used to have to help him with a harness or he just would look at the stairs and give up. I’d recommend it since its for all sizes of dogs. We have it on subscription at amazon but the bottle lasts a long time. My vet got it right. Good luck!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.