Semi-moist??

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Rebecca M

I have a 7 yr old Papillon who has dental issues. I have been feeding both of my Paps Merrick Small Dog and wetting it with hot water and letting it set for a while to soften. I see Wellness makes a semi-moist. Is there any other brands that have semi-moist foods? We tried canned for a while, but they continued to have loose stools. Maybe it was just the brand, also Merrick.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

#80660 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

I dog sat a 10 yr old with half missing/bad teeth. I put the kibble into our Ninja blender & pulsed it to a chunky powder. No water needed, easy to eat. Is your Pap’s mouth in pain? Dental cleaning helpful? C.E.T. Enzymatic Toothpaste nightly does wonders. Also check for allergies/diseases for the diarrhea, it may not be the wet food causing it.

#80665 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

FreshPet Nature’s Fresh refrigerated soft kibble, Core Air Dried Semi Moist and Waggers TenderMoist kibble.

#80666 Report Abuse
    C4D

Hi Rebecca M,

Has the dog been to the vet for a dental check and cleaning? This, along with brushing is the best way to help with any dental problems and potential future problems such as liver or kidney disease.

Freshpet is a very soft food to feed. I don’t know if you want to go this route, but the dehydrated foods that you rehydrate, The Honest Kitchen, Grandma Lucy’s and Sojos all have meat inclusive and premixes that you can add raw or fresh cooked meat. If you use a ground turkey, chicken or beef, it would be very soft to eat.

#80667 Report Abuse
    Rebecca M

Yes, he has had regular dental cleanings since he was young and teeth brushings just like all my other dogs. Since he was 5 he has been gradually losing teeth to infection or bone loss. The vet thinks it is genetic. I have never had this happen to any of my other pets.

He doesn’t like Honest Kitchen. Picks out the vegetable:).

#80668 Report Abuse
    Rebecca M

Thanks! Regular dental cleaning his entire life and brushing. Vet thinks it is a genetic thing. I have though about allergies, but the other pap also had loose stools. Maybe I moved to canned too quickly.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.