šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 16 posts - 51 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Bobby dog

I don’t know, I never looked into it. Cats have such sensitive systems that I don’t think I would ever use something like that on them. I didn’t even know they made an injectable, I thought it was just an oral med.

#60279 Report Abuse
    Dori

Bobby dog. I didn’t know they made injectables either. First I ever heard of it. Like you, I’d only ever known of any of the HW preventatives as oral meds. I guess it would be easier if you had a cat and were going to use HW preventatives. I can’t imagine trying to get a cat to take HW pills monthly.

Dog Obsessed. Sorry I can’t help with ticks. I’m not sure what you would use that would only deal with ticks and not interfere with HW meds. You’d have to seriously look into that issue once you decide what to use for ticks. Check with your vet would be my advice.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by Dori.
    #60282 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

The injectable they are referring to is lufenuron. I am not sure if HW preventatives come in any other form.

I have a cat that happily eats a pill daily in his food. I have a female cat that is such a fighter that I would rather wrestle my horse than her. My friend has a cat that will gladly take worm meds out of a syringe like a kitten nursing from her mother. I have to sneak up and surprise all my cats with worm meds. You never know, they are just as unique as our beloved canines. I will never be without cats, dogs, or horses in my life. lol

#60283 Report Abuse
    Dori

I think it sounds so cute that your friends cat will take worm meds from a syringe. Adorable. My sister has a cat and it really would be like wrestling a horse to get her to take anything. She’s a feral cat that my sister decided to bring in the house and make her her own. The cat has scratched and bitten her so many times through the years it’s not even funny. Down right scary. On top of all that, the cat can’t stand my sister but is madly in love with her husband. I feel bad for my sister cause she loves that crazy cat. The only time she’s nice to my sister is when she hears her opening the cat food can. She is the prettiest little thing though. Truly beautiful black color and the bluest bright eyes. You can’t ever look her in the eyes or she’ll go to attack you. If you walk passed her she will also jump on your back with her claws. Obviously I don’t visit my sister’s house too often. Thankfully the occasion doesn’t come up too often as I live in Georgia and she’s in New Jersey.

I would love to have a horse. Unfortunately I don’t have the property for it. I’m always jealous when I read about you all talking about your horses and other animals. Lucky you.

#60306 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I saw something at the pet store that said it was a spray for fleas and ticks, I didn’t see any tick-only ones though. I will talk to the vet about it. It’s probably not going to be much of an issue in the winter anyway.

#60323 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

You won’t find any tick only ones. The nature of ticks makes spray for them effective for fleas. The reason we have flea stuff that isn’t good for ticks is because the fleas get on and feed and then die or their eggs won’t hatch and that ends the problem. That’s not the case with ticks. Getting on and feeding is the problem, because that’s when they transmit disease. Anything that is stong enough to repel ticks so that they don’t get on and feed will also repel fleas. The only thing I know of that kills ticks that doesn’t kill fleas is Ivermectin. And you have to give the dose to the dog while the tick is on it or just before, then the fact that the tick is eating for long enough to get a big enough dose kills it. By the time a flea ate enough, the Ivermectin would have already cleared the dog’s body.

#60335 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Thanks BCnut! I’m currently using Heartguard, which is Ivermecten based. Would that prevent ticks? Would it be a bad idea to use a flea and tick spray in addition to Sentinel? (I wouldn’t use Heartguard then.)

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by Dog_Obsessed.
    #60348 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Dog Obsessed, a neighbour has a caravan out in the bush, that he stays 6-7months of the year, Spring Summer Autumn, he uses Tick collars & I think Advagtage tick control & his dog has never gotten any ticks…. his dog Jack looks just like ur dog in the photo.

#60349 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Thanks for the suggestion! I would rather not use prevention collars or spot-on treatments because of the chemicals, so I am looking for a less harmful option. I don’t do deep-woods hiking or anything, so I just need moderate prevention in the warmer months.

#60352 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Dog Obsessed:
    Did you check out Wondercide? They have sample sizes for sale.

#60353 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Unfortunately, Heartgard won’t help with ticks. Mercola makes a great, natural essential oil based flea and tick repellant.

http://products.mercola.com/healthypets/natural-flea-and-tick-control/

#60354 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Heartgard may kill any ticks that get on the dog at the time you give it or any ticks that are actively feeding when you give it, but it will not, in any way, prevent ticks.

#60387 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Thanks everyone! The natural spray from Mercola looks good, but is there anywhere else to get it besides their website? I know DogFoodie has had several expired orders from there recently.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by Dog_Obsessed.
    #110254 Report Abuse
    Warren M

Bald Spots are happening because of dog chewing at their own legs or continuously rubbing to their leg through their mouth. It can be easily stopped by making dog divert his mind towards such another thing which can be ignored by such dog.

#110255 Report Abuse
    anonymous

You are assuming that the symptoms are behavioral.

More than likely you are dealing with a skin condition known as atopic dermatitis.

Extremely uncomfortable for the dog and requires the expertise of a veterinarian, a veterinary dermatologist for the best results.

Testing, diagnosis and treatment.

#110368 Report Abuse
    Warren M

Inflicted Bald spots on dog legs are natural but sitting on it earthworms makes it bad and itching to such dog. Dogs can be well preserved by giving them regular dose of deworming. Washing and Combing to dogs hair can make a comfortable way.

Viewing 16 posts - 51 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.