Sardines for Dogs

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Food Ingredients Sardines for Dogs

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Zach M

Hey people! I am wondering how many sardines should I give a 50 pound dog each week? I was thinking a couple but I am not sure. Thanks for the help in advance!

#67180 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Zach-
    Steve Brown recommends one 3.75 can per week for a 50lb dog. I get the best price on sardines packed in water at Winco. Are you feeding them with kibble?

#67183 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

You can also just feed one whole raw sardine a couple times a week.

#67190 Report Abuse
    Zach M

Thanks guys! Yes I am feeding with kibble

#67193 Report Abuse
    Naturella

C4C and Zach, Steve Brown actually recommends two 3.75-oz cans of sardines per week for a 50-lb dog. But you can also modify it. He recommends 1 can/week for a 15-lb dog (like mine), but I only give 1/2 of the sardines and all the juice to Bruno.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by Naturella.
    #67199 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

I was going by this that was posted in the Whole Dog Journal:
    Here are my sardine recommendations for adult dogs. Feed twice this much to puppies and pregnant or lactating females.

Dog’s 3.75-oz can
    Weight sardines
    5 lbs 1/4 can per week
    15 lbs 1/2 can per week
    25 lbs 5/8 can per week
    50 lbs 1 can per week
    100 lbs 1 3/4 cans per week

A 3.75-ounce can of sardines has about 200 calories, so reduce the amount of dry food given on “sardine days” accordingly. Rule of thumb: One can of sardines in water has about the same number of calories as ½ cup of most dog foods.

You can substitute canned wild Alaska pink salmon (the bones are edible), oysters (a great source of zinc, especially important for pregnant and lactating females), and other fresh, frozen, or canned wild ocean fish for sardines. Pacific oysters are probably better than Gulf of Mexico oysters, especially after the BP oil spill in 2010, and safer than canned oysters from China. Never feed raw salmon or trout, especially Pacific salmon, because it may contain a bacterium that can kill dogs.
    But…. now, I’ve pulled up my ABC diet and it does show two cans per week. So how about 1 1/2! LOL!

Here is the link to the whole dog journal: http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/15_12/features/Fats-Chance_20658-1.html

Either way, it is great that you are considering adding them to your dog’s food. Good luck!

#67200 Report Abuse
    Zach M

Thanks C4C! Very informative!

#67201 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

You’re welcome. Btw, my dogs are 80ish pounds each and I only give them one can per week and try to remember to give them a krill pill at least once per week.

#67203 Report Abuse
    Naturella

C4C, hm, strange that the recommendation is basically double between the ABC Diet and the Whole Dog Journal! Either way, yes, just give somewhere in the middle, or whatever. I give half of the ABC recommendation anyway and Bruno is fine and dandy with it, lol. So yeah, Zach, you can give anything between 1 and 2 cans of sardines/week and your pup should be fine. 🙂

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by Naturella.
    #67214 Report Abuse
    Zach M

Wow guys thanks for everything! 🙂

#67216 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

My 45# dogs get 1/2# of sardines or herring once a week. The way I heard it was, if you feed twice a day, then replace one meal a week with oily fish.

#77745 Report Abuse
    Kirstie M

I read on one site before about giving your dog sardines. But they didn’t explain why so…

I have 2 dogs, one is a Lab/Aussie (Chewie) who is turning 19 months old and the other is a very hyper 9 month old Boxer mix (Callie). They are great sisters.

I am giving Chewie pollack oil every morning during the week (5 days) the recommended amount. She is 55 lbs. Callie isn’t getting it yet because we just got her (2 months ago) and she is finishing up meds for an ear infection. Her stool been soft because of it. I want her healthy before I introduce her to something new. Callie is 45 lbs.

Chewie’s coat is so very shinny. We always get compliments over it. She is black with the Aussie fur. I read on the same site that you should mix up what you give them.
    http://www.keepthetailwagging.com/salmon-oil-or-pollock-oil-for-dogs/

So I’m planning on 2 days Pollock Oil and 2 days Camelina Oil. I was wondering about adding sardines to day 5 or maybe a treat.

We feed them Kirkland’s and are doing great on it. They love it and the cost works for us. We also spoil them by making their own jerk, chicken and beef placed on a dehydrator. Haven’t tried anything else yet. I’ll also get different bags, beef and sweet potato then the salmon one next time. For some change.

Also Chewie as a puppy, 12 weeks old, broker her knee cap. They didn’t do surgery because the first vet said it wasn’t broken so we didn’t find out it really was until a week later. We did as vet said and now she is all healed. You can’t even tell she did something.

So I guess I am trying to find out why feed them sardines and even if I should.

Thanks

#91090 Report Abuse
    Mary V

A lot of useful input, here. Only one problem… my dog is going to have to fight me for the sardines… I adore them! LOL!

#91091 Report Abuse
    Cannoli

Hi Mary V,

I actually increase the sardine intake for my dog during late fall and winter months to help them get that Vitamin D since they don’t spend as much time outside as I would like.

If your supermarket has it I recommend the flash frozen sardines. They taste awesome grilled and are a lot more oily. Just take the backbone out and leave the head on. My pup goes crazy over the heads.

#91093 Report Abuse
    Mary V

Kirstie M… I guess, the best reason I can think of to feed sardines is because they are so nutrient dense. High quality protein. Bones and “guts” intact – also one comment endorses feeding raw sardines, but I have no idea where to get them on a consistent basis. Freeze dried might be a good option:http://www.mycanadianpets.ca/gpage3.html.

I’m getting an Irish Setter puppy in a few weeks and I will be supplementing her kibble diet with some sardines, as well as some lightly steamed vegetables (http://dogaware.com/articles/dwveggies.html) and a little fruit. I also am thinking I will add dehydrated Green Tripe: http://ivcjournal.com/raw-green-tripe/.

I think you should relax. Even dogs are only fed med-high quality kibble seem to do just fine. I have a 13 year old Aussie bitch who’s eaten mostly Purina One dog food all of her life. She has been virtually problem free health wise, and still acts like a much younger dog. I’ve moved her to a grain free of late, and she likes it better and continues to do very well.

Hope this is of use to you.

#91094 Report Abuse
    Mary V

Hi, /forums/users/cannoli/
    Great input, thanks! I never thought of Flash Frozen Sardines. I’ll snoop about and see what I can find.

#95376 Report Abuse
    Jessica J

I read in an article on iheartdogs.con that omega 3s in sardines not only give dogs a shiny coat, they can help reduce hot spots, skin conditions and help strengthen immunity in dogs. The omega 3s in dog food are heated at such a high temp that it damages them and their ability to be processed by a dog. Sardines are best because the smallest fish have the shortest life span and not only have less chance of containing mercury, but also will have less mercury, if any, because they don’t live long enough to keep getting more in their system.

#95377 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Something to keep in mind:
    Sardines are high in sodium. Mercury isn’t the main concern. Choking on the small bones, although they are soft, is a risk to consider.
    A fish oil capsule a day would probably add the same benefit (imo)

Also, if the skin condition is being caused by environmental allergies, the sardines/fish oil will have little effect. It has been known to help with dry skin and coat though.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by anonymous.
    #95379 Report Abuse
    Kirstie M

I found in some stores have Sardines in water with no bones. They are harder to find then with bones but it’s worth it.

What I do is by the Pollock or Salmon oil in a pump. I had it to their dog food once a day. How much depends on their weight. I usually do it in the Am as breakfast. This is a mixture of dry and little wet and the oil. This way I know they are going to eat it all. I just can’t let it sit in a bowl all day. Not sure if an issue or not but it’s a me thing.

But my girls are always waiting and pushing me to make breakfast in the morning. So they seem to like it. I’ll also do a treat and just put a little of canned plain chicken on it too. A little treat at times. Not much at all, less then a 1/8 cup worth for each and I got a 60 + and 50+ dog.

So there are options out there. You just got to find what works for you and that your little one will like.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Kirstie M.
    #95578 Report Abuse
    elaine c

the sardine bones are great for dogs! Instead of mixing and matching try Answers Pet food. It is fantastic! answerspetfood.com

#96007 Report Abuse
    Melissa p

Thanks for sharing this valuable information. It would be helpful for my pet too.

#96073 Report Abuse
    Christie
    Participant

My two dogs are not fans of their kibble and I’ve eliminated adding canned food to mix in because I’m trying to reduce their caloric intake (in to help them lose weight). I split a can of sardines (so about 2 sardines each) for their evening meal and split an apple to mix in with their morning meal. Neither dog has had any issues with the tiny bones.

#96105 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I get whole sardines at a Mexican supermarket in the fresh fish section. They range in size from 4-8 inches long. They probably have whole sardines and other fish at Asian supermarkets as well.

#97447 Report Abuse
    Jo C

I feed my baby girl a whole can of sardines in water twice a week. I’m new to all this so I don’t know if that is over doing it or under. She loves it though.

#97456 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

How big is your dog?

#103127 Report Abuse
    amy r

I use sardines (a whole can ) 3 times a week the other days I will use salmon or a chicken duck or lamb protein I also add 1 fish oil capsule daily. I am currently using fromm large breed. Her coat looks amazing before the fish was added in it was very dull looking.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.