šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ScottsMomma

Am currently using Wild Salmon Oil on top of my dog’s food to help with his dry/flaky skin..and it does seem to be working. Thinking of switching him over to a fish based kibble. Now-since it’s a dry food, would it hurt to keep adding the salmon oil on top of that every day? Or if not-a few times a week?

#48906 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

It would still be ok to add the oil daily. Alot of kibbles are lacking in sufficient omega 3 or are not in a proper ratio with omega 6. But also, the fish oil in the kibble can lose it’s potency or start to become rancid once the bag is opened. Proper storage is a must. Another option if you want to add variety is to just give some canned sardines or other oily fish a couple times a week. Or you can even give raw fish.

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/15_12/features/Fats-Chance_20658-1.html

#48914 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi Scottsmoma. Love your name. When you are done with the Wild Salmon Oil you should consider switching to Sardine Oil (Sardine’s don’t live long enough to accumulate a lot of issues that other fish do). Please make sure that you keep any fish oils in the refrigerator and add to the meal at the last moment. Fish oil goes rancid if left out too long pretty quickly. I use Nature’s Logic Sardine Oil (great product by the way) and keep it on the door in fridge. Prepare meals, squirt some in their dishes on the food and put oil back in fridge.

As Sandy suggested, you can add sardines that are sold at the grocery store packed in water two or three times a week. Don’t add other fish oil on the days you feed sardines. Scott will love the sardines. You didn’t mention how big Scott is so use your judgment as to how much of the can to add. I have three small dogs so I use one small can of sardines in water and separate into three equal parts. I do this three times a week. I feed twice a day, so only one meal of the day, not both.

I don’t feed raw other raw fish anymore because there have been too many authenticated stories of contamination in the waters so I just don’t want to take any chances. I also stopped eating sushi myself for that same reason.

#48928 Report Abuse
    ScottsMomma

Thank you both for the replies! Scott is only about 13 pounds (full grown) Not sure of his exact breed, we’re thinking he’s a Terrier mix. We adopted him from our local Humane Society. I’ll look into the Sardine Oil as well!

#48933 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi Scottsmomma again. For reference on the sardines in cans, my Maltese, Hannah, weighs 7.3 lbs, my Maltipoo, Katie, weighs 6 lbs. and my Yorkipoo, Lola, weighs 5 lbs. Three days a week I divide a can of the sardines in three. Other days I give them a little squirt of sardine oil in one of their meal per day. If I notice that their stools are a little loose I back off and skip either the sardines or the oil for a couple of days. I don’t measure the sardine oil squirts so some days I may be a tiny bit heavier handed than others.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.