šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ashleigh L

Hello all! I’m about to take the leap to switch to raw food for my two dogs. My 6 year old black lab is 90 pounds. And my 5 month old Bernese mountain dog is 56 pounds. I know a little bit about raw diets from research but up until now we have been a strict dry dog food house.
    I have a few ideas on some items I want to use. I’m hoping you guys can give me some feedback on my ideas. FYI I’m on a slight budget. That’s part of why I’m doing this so I can see if I can afford it in the long run. None of these items are set in stone. So please please please tell me if there’s something that’s a big no no or if something else instead would be better. With my dogs weights they both require 4 lbs total a day. Around 2 lbs each. I’m gonna start there and figure out if that’s enough for them.

Monday
    4 lbs chicken leg quarters

Tuesday
    4 lbs chicken leg quarters

Wednesday
    3 lbs chicken leg quarters, 1 lb of tripe

Thursday
    2 lbs chicken leg quarters, 2 lbs ground chicken

Friday
    Whole chicken, split between

Saturday
    3 lbs chicken leg quarters, 1 lb cut up chicken liver

Sunday
    3 lbs. chicken leg quarters, 1 lb of tripe

Both my dogs have only ever been feed kibble, my oldest for 6 years. So I want to start out slow and simple to see how they do. And with one protein so it complicates things less. I need some feedback for piece of mind. Thanks guys!

#95669 Report Abuse
    Ashleigh L

Also my oldest has a sensitive tummy, hence the tripe

#95772 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

For your adult dog check out BalanceIt.com. They make a supplement to add to meat and carb of your choice. Also, there’s an easy recipe video with few ingredients. Search “Homemade dog food recipe Rodney Habib” on youtube. These are suggestions for your lab.

I would recommend further research for your Bernese. Calcium/phosphorus content and ratio is very important or wait until he is an adult.

/best-dog-foods/best-large-breed-puppy-food/

Edit: about your rough draft raw menu. It isn’t a complete diet. Have a look at DogAware.com.

http://www.dogaware.com/diet/homemade.html

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by pugmomsandy.
    #95883 Report Abuse
    Cannoli

Hi Ashleigh,

You are missing a lot of vitamins and minerals just raw chicken (not a fan of raw chicken) will create defincies.

I recommend reading the website dog’s naturally. Tons of veggies, natural supplements, fruits, and spices that you can read to add to your dog’s meal.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Cannoli.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.