?recipe for a frozen dog treat (Like Frosty Paws)?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Homemade Dog Food ?recipe for a frozen dog treat (Like Frosty Paws)?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Judy M

anyone have a recipe for a frozen dog treat (Like Frosty Paws)?

OK, I made the mistake of letting my dog lick the pull-off seal to my Haagen Daz human treat= and it kinda becam a ritual, along with a little tast a few more times as I n=finish my treat ( I’m sure its not good for her, so just a tiny few tastes, but she needs her own “faux ice cream” cuz now I feel guilty having my treat without her thinking she is getting ice cream too, I tried Frosy Paws frozen dog treat ___ VERY expensive and pobably not good for the dog but probably better than a taste of a few of Haagen Daz. Now im looking for a frozen treat concoction or recipe, or idea of substitute.. I thought of lowfat yogurt, but maybe that;s not good for her either?? But would like to have a frozen treat recipe thatI can make her to have while I have mine, .I do have an ice cream maker (that I”ve never even used)… but there must be someone who has figured out how to make a frozen doggie treat that is realtively ok treat for dogs?? Anyone….?

#59758 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Freeze kefir in an ice cube tray. You can use the plain and add small pieces of berries for extra antioxidants.

#59764 Report Abuse
    Judy M

Cool, (literally lol) Thanks for the advice BC 🙂

#59770 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I haven’t made sorbet in my ice cream maker but you can try making the recipes without sugar. But pureed fruit/veg and yogurt frozen into ice cube trays is more convenient. The Honest Kitchen sells “liquid treats” that you can freeze.

#59786 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Judy, I make homemade “ice-cream” for my Bruno of 1/4 cup yoghurt/kefir, 2 tbs peanut butter, 1 tbs coconut oil, 1 tbs local honey, a pinch of turmeric, a pinch of cinnamon, 2 tsp unsweetened coconut shreds for texture, 1 tsp flax seed meal (ground flax seeds). Different variations with or without fruit/veggies, and with or without those or other ingredients can be done too. I fill a Kong toy, a buffalo horn, a hoof, and a marrow bone (now marrow-less) with the concoction and let freeze, and serve when I need for Bruno to not bother me – he takes his time licking it out plus he can then chew on the thing that was once filled. 🙂

#59787 Report Abuse
    Naturella

I forgot to mention – my recipe freezes solid and it will give your pup extra time to work on it, and you some extra minutes of not being pestered for your treat. I just gave Bruno a marrow bone with ice-cream, since we were talking about it. 🙂

I also usually chuck a frozen blueberry on the bottom of a Kong so that the mixture above doesn’t leak through it. I put the marrow bone on one of its cut sides on a piece of foil in the freezer.

Another recipe I have seen is with pumpkin and a Wellness 95% can (the recipe was with salmon, but you can use any, I think) – also put in ice cube trays or other “vessels” and frozen. You can also freeze just PB in something and give as an ice cream. 🙂 Let me give you a link with some more recipes in there:

/forums/topic/homemade-treats/

#59792 Report Abuse
    Dori

As Sandy and BC mentioned, I freeze plain Kefir and add berries. I also freeze plain yogurt and add berries. They go crazy for both versions.

#59799 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

We’re supposed to get a HUGE storm tomorrow, (which we desperately need) and I don’t know if I’ll be able to actually go anywhere because of flooding. I might try making some treats tomorrow, unless we lose power.

#59801 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Dog_Obsessed, please you and Lily (and the rest of your family and friends) be safe! Treats are a fun project for days in the house when you have nothing to do, but I am sure they can wait if things get bad.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.