šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anne R

I have two rescue dogs – Millie (8years old, spayed female terrier mix) and Fonzie (3years old, neutered male cock-a-tzu (cocker/shih tzu mix)
    I have issues with both, but the main one at present is with Millie who has a bout of mild/moderate pancreatitis. This is the second time she has had it, with a more serious incident two years ago. Her CPL reading is 360, which is way above the reference range of 0-200 ug/l and her Red Blood Cell count, hemoglobin, cholestrol and lipase readings are way up as well.
    For the past 6 – 8 weeks I have been feeding them Natures Variety Raw Bites in the honest belief that I was doing the very best for them. They both seemed to like it and have shiny coats etc but the end result with Millie (who is the pickiest eater on the planet!) is pancreatitis and the end result with Fonzie is excessive weight gain – 2kg+ since I began this diet!! I am devastated as Millie was actually enjoying her food for the first time ever (she has always refused dry kibble) but what good is that if she is suffering illness as a result?! To make things worse I was over-feeding them up to a few days ago, which may have caused the pancreatitis to flare up – or maybe the food would have caused it anyway.
    I desperately want to feed them a good, nourishing and wholesome food but I am completely frustrated by the choice available and the vastly differing opinions I get in the pet stores. To make matters worse I am leaving them in kennels for 12 days in just under three weeks time when I go to Ireland and I have to have them settled on a suitable food before I go. Please help!

#39553 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

There are several low fat choices to choose from. The list is here in case you haven’t seen it: /best-dog-foods/suggested-low-fat-dog-food/ And Fonzie can have some additional fish oil (omega 3) which might help with the shedding. Some folks even give organic coconut oil and it seems to help with skin and coat as well.

#39583 Report Abuse
    LexiDog

Since Millie doesn’t really care for dry kibble, look into Grandma Lucy’s Pureformance Chicken and The Honest Kitchen Zeal formulas. There are a very few frozen raw formulas but they are hard to find and tend to be expensive. I’m not a huge fan of Bravo! but hey have a turkey formula that does not have a lot of fat. Primal has Venison and Rabbit that are low for raw but I find these to be expensive. Good luck! Let us know how things work out.

#39601 Report Abuse
    Anne R

Thank you for the advice Sandy and Amy – I am going boggle-eyed from researching possible foods for both Millie and Fonzie at this point! I will check out your suggestions though. I am also wondering if there is a supplement that would help prevent Millie from getting pancreatitis again??

#39611 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I would give a full spectrum digestive enzyme with meals. There are even some with high lipase (fat digesting enzyme) such as these:

http://www.enzymedica.com/store/Lypo-Gold

http://www.integrativepro.com/Products/Gastrointestinal/Lipase-Enzymes/Similase-Lipo

#39613 Report Abuse
    Anne R

Thank you! Are these for humans or specifically for dogs or would both be the same when it comes to digestive enzymes? Just wondering how much to give if they are not specified by dog weight?

#39614 Report Abuse
    LexiDog

Digestive enzymes are a great idea! I don’t think they can prevent but certainly wouldn’t hurt. They do make ones specifically for dogs and should have the dosages by weight on the container.

My girl had elevated pancrease levels, not full out pancreatitis. So I have done a lot of research and comparisons on low fat dog foods. I can see how you are getting frustrated tryin to find an appropriate food for her that she will actually eat!!! Getting her to eat it is the hard part. Do check out DFA’s Suggested Low Fat Dog Foods list. You might be able to get some samples of the Grandma Lucy’s Pureformance Chicken from a specialty store.

#39615 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Integrative Therapeutics Bio-Zyme is 1/2 tablet for up to 25 lbs. And Similase is 1/2-1 capsule for up to 50 lbs. I would use this as a guide for their other products. It’s a human brand. But there are several dog brands to chose from. Human ones are cheaper! I like things I can take and my dogs can take too. But that’s me. Sometimes I give them a powder and sometimes a capsule.

Integrative Therapeutics Bio-Zyme Mega-Strength Enzyme Dog & Cat Supplement

Also look at the digestion/probiotic aids at b-naturals.com. There’s a bunch of articles at this site as well.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.