Raw Meaty Bones for small breeds

Dog Food Advisor Forums Raw Dog Food Raw Meaty Bones for small breeds

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    tracy z

I have a 9lbs toy poodle who just started on a raw diet. I give him raw chicken necks for his source of raw meaty bones. However, if I don’t cut them into smaller pieces (small enough to fit in his mouth but he would still have to chew on it) then he would refuse to eat them. He would just nibble on it and then drop it on the floor and stare at me. Would this still give him the dental benefit he needs from chewing on the bones? Or should I leave them un-cut and just let him work it?

Also, other than chicken necks, what are other good raw meaty bones I can give him that’s appropriate for his size?

Thanks!

#50433 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Try chicken feet or pork ribs or calf ribs. GreenTripe dot com sells calf ribs. Lamb chops have soft bones too but are a bit costly. Some dogs who are on raw diets and eat RMB still get plaque buildup. Could just be genetics. I’ve also heard from other raw feeders that only feed ground raw that their dogs teeth stay clean. The raw enzymes in the food help to keep the teeth clean.

#50466 Report Abuse
    tracy z

Thanks pugmomsandy! I’m already feeding the chicken feet, which again, have to be cut into small pieces..
    Will definitely try out the other ones you have suggested. 🙂

#50476 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Have you tried feeding chicken wings?

#50477 Report Abuse
    tracy z

I actually haven’t thought of that, will definitely try it out! I’m planning on giving him some drum sticks, do you think it’s safe?

Thanks!

#50484 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Do you mean a drummette or full size drumstick? Either way, you’d just have to supervise him and see how he handles it. I have a gulper. He’d swallow the drummette whole along with wings and necks! He will chew up legs and thighs slightly.

#50487 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

He could probably have a quail or cornish hen!

#55296 Report Abuse
    Lillian N

I have a package of raw pork ribs defrosting for dinner. Can I lop off a bone for each of my two Chihuahuas to munch on? Would that be safe?

#55302 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

The only issue is the amount of fat. If you can cut it with some meat left on it, but trim off some of the fat, you should be fine. Bones without any meat may cause some issues because they can constipate dogs.

My dogs are getting beef short ribs tonight.

#55307 Report Abuse
    Lillian N

Yes, I would cut the two smallest bones off the end of the rack, trim as much of the fat off as I could and leave on all the meat. Would 1 bone each be too much for my 5 and 7 lb chis? Should I just split one bone for them?

#55308 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Didn’t I read somewhere that pork needs to be frozen for a few weeks before feeding raw? I have pork neck bones in the freezer now, was waiting a little longer before giving one to Jake.

#55309 Report Abuse
    Lillian N

Yes I read that too. Something about the freezing time killing parasites? My ribs have been in the freezer vac sealed for a few months so I’m ok.

#55312 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

What I have read is that if you are feeding wild pig, it is essential that you freeze the meat for a couple weeks at 0 degrees f. Or longer if your freezer is not that cold. If you are feeding conventionally raised pork, they have never touched the ground and are not likely to have ever even been exposed to the parasites you are trying to kill, so you aren’t supposed to have to worry about it. I choose to be more cautious, and I still freeze conventionally raised pork. I don’t really trust people who would raise pigs that way to always do the “right” thing. And as much as possible, I try to buy pasture raised pork anyways, which means it has to be frozen.

#55355 Report Abuse
    Lillian N

How about ground veal? Does that have a freezing period as well? I’m talking grocery store vac packed meat

#55358 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Personally, I hate trying to remember the recommendations for every different thing, so I just go ahead and freeze every type of meat, except under rare circumstances. That being said, I have never heard any recommendation for freezing veal. Basically, if a human can eat it cooked rare or medium rare, it doesn’t have to be frozen. If it must be cooked thoroughly, it must be frozen.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.