šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Shyla S

Hi All,

I have a shichon ( Mix of Bichon and Shitzu) 4 years old weighing 23lbs. He has started developing arthiritis in the hip area.

The vet has put him on Metacam and Joint Plus glucosamine HCL liquid form and has suggested that he should lose 5 lbs to come to 18lbs.

His thyroid is fine and blood work came clean. I give him boiled chicken and 3/4th cup kibbles twice a day.

kindly suggest any raw diet which has helped in losing weight. He does not like any meat other than chicken and yes baby carrots.

#92805 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Itā€™s not about finding the right food. What you are feeding sounds fine, especially if the lab work came back good. I would cut the amount of kibble you are feeding in half (1/3rd cup twice a day with a topper) if your vet approves.
    Maybe try a grain-free kibble such as Nutrisca. In my experience, small breeds don’t do well with raw.
    Do you have health insurance for your dog? I ask because I think from the information you have provided that your dog might benefit from aquatic therapy (swimming). If your vet prescribes it for weight loss it may be covered.
    One minute of swimming is equal to four minutes of running and it’s easy on the joints, plus he will get the benefits that exercise can provide, such as weight loss, improved mood, etc.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.