šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    kmarron
    Participant

My dog was diagnosed this year with a form of lymphoma. I changed her diet to cooked meat and veggies with no grains. The cancer skin lumps started going away and were practically gone. I worried about this diet not having the correct balance of nutrients, vitamins and minerals, so I changed her diet to follow Dr. Beckerā€™s real food recipes. The lumps are coming back. I believe this is because of the high glycemic foods in her recipes, namely the fruit. So I am going to modify the recipe to exclude all of the fruit except some blueberries and green apples (lg. sugar molecule fruit). Again I worry about how this change affects the nutrient balance. Should I just continue with her formula for vitamin supplement mix, or is there something more to add now that the fruit is eliminated?

#15227 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I replied on the other thread to go to http://www.dogaware.com, I’m pretty sure he has cancer diet ino there.

#15228 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

HI kmarron –

Have you considered a pre-mix? If you use a pre-mix you just add meat and water, all the vitamins and minerals are in the pre-mix so you don’t have to worry about whether the diet is balanced. There are many pre-mixes available with low glycemic ingredients. And definitely check out the site Marie posted a link to – that site is a wonderful resource for everything dog related.

#15231 Report Abuse
    kmarron
    Participant

Thank you for the input. I will check out the Marie’s site. Hound Dog Mom, where would I find a pre-mix?

#15234 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

There are several brands that manufacture pre-mixes. These are some of the most popular:

-The Honest Kitchen
    -Sojo’s
    -Grandma Lucy’s
    -Urban Wolf
    -Birkdale Pet Mix
    -Dr. Harvey’s
    -See Spot Live Longer Dinner Mixes
    -U-Stew
    -Wysong’s Call of the Wild

#15249 Report Abuse
    barfworld1
    Participant

Hi, So sorry to hear about your dog. There are some great tips on how to treat cancer with a natural raw diet. Check out this blog at http://www.barfworld.com/html/IPEzine/TIP_10_2013.html and please let us know if you have any questions.

#15399 Report Abuse
    kmarron
    Participant

Thank you for the advice!

#82481 Report Abuse
    Nora L

The increase in the growths may have to do with the fat content of the food you’re feeding. Although cooking presents problems of its own, it melts fat and allows it to be removed from the meat before feeding. When you’re feeding raw you have to be more careful about buying cuts of meat that have fat that can be cut away. The problem with fat is that this is where the animal’s body stored the waste that was produced by the bad diet it was fed while it was living. That’s why you see so much fat on domestic chickens and cows — it’s good for the producers because the cheaper foods create it and the animal is heavier when it is killed. So they make money on both ends. It is a disaster for the animals who end up eating them, however. I guarantee it is not the fruit that is causing the problem, except perhaps that it is mixed with other foods and will not be properly digested. Fruit is a natural food for dogs and when it is eaten alone it is easily digested. However, dogs would never in their biological history have had occasion to mix it with other foods. Fruit is regarded by dogs to be a contingent food, to be eaten when prey is not available. I would be interested to know how your dog did after her diagnosis and change of diet, as I am working with someone now whose dog was just diagnosed.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Nora L.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Nora L.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.