🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    C4D

Hi All!
    I have a possibly silly question. Can a dog be fed Raw immediately after tooth extractions? I haven’t run into this problem before. But now I have this dilemma. Thanks!

C4D

#74895 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi C4D. I’ve done it in the past with no issues, never even occurred to me that there would be an issue. With that said, we all know that all dogs are different. Was the tooth extraction because of an infection or a cracked tooth? Was it a molar or a tooth? It would also depend, I think, on how long your dog has been a raw fed dog, meaning that his gut/immune system would be in peak performance. If you’re at all worried and you feed on occasion a quality canned food, then you might just want to do that for the first couple of days or so after extraction. Anyway, just my opinion.

#74897 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi C4D-
    I have no idea what the answer is, but I was just curious about your concern. Is it because it is too hard to chew or are you worried about germs? Poor baby, I hope everything heals well. One of my cats who is 16 years old recently had a couple of teeth pulled and she did much better than I expected. She was ready to eat her canned food right away! Best wishes!

#74903 Report Abuse
    C4D

Hi Dori & C4C,

She had 2 incisors pulled after finding pockets in the gums. I was concerned only about the potential bacteria from raw. As you probably already know, I normally feed 1 meal raw & 1 canned/kibble mix. I can easily just feed canned food for several days. I was looking for others with experience in this situation.
    While we’re at it, any thoughts on natural anti-inflammatory? I do have turmeric.

#74905 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi C4D. I figured that was what your concern was. I don’t think raw is an issue but if it will make you feel better than feed canned but please don’t forget that canned is not without it’s own bacterial issues. As to anti-inflammatory supplements I would look into feeding anti-inflammatory fruits and veggies. Just google them. I’ve never had any luck with turmeric or golden paste made with turmeric for any of my girls including myself. Also, don’t forget to avoid any and all pro-inflammatory ingredients. Google that also.

#74906 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Maybe a dab of coco oil on her gums? Soothing and anti- lots of stuff. Hope she feels better soon.

#75030 Report Abuse
    El

Hi C4D

That’s a GREAT QUESTION!!!

Normally the bacteria from raw is dealt with in the dog’s digestive system. Because of the extractions, the bacteria from the raw could enter directly into the bloodstream and we don’t know how your particular dog will be able to handle it. There is also the extra stress to the immune system from having the extractions performed.

I would be cautious for a few days and maybe feed the canned or if you use chunks of meat for raw you could quickly sear the outside of the meat to kill any potentially harmful bacteria before it enters the bloodstream. If you feed ground meat this won’t be as effective because the bacteria is all through the meat and not just on the outside.

The possible risks will be there until her mouth is fully healed preventing direct access into the bloodstream.

#75083 Report Abuse
    C4D

Thanks everyone. I’m happy to report the patient seems to be doing well so far. el doctor and Dori, I did back off the raw for her and am feeding just canned for the next few days. She is enthustiascally eating it while the others are having their raw. I have a lot of raw, but may throw some chickens into the crock pot so she can indulge! 🙂

Dori, I’m watching the potatoes and feeding the anti-inflammatory foods, so she hasn’t had any swelling yet. 🙂 The vet asked if I wanted and NSAID, of course I said no, but she is getting a bit of Tramadol.

jakes mom, she LOVES her coconut oil and would love any excuse for more!

el doctor, that was my main concern. Since it was in the front of her mouth, bacteria was a consideration and since she has a host of occaisonal issues, I didn’t want to stress her system any further.

So far, so good! Hopefully we will be able to keep her teeth clean and won’t have these issues again.

But, here’s another question. Has anyone used an electric toothbrush for their dogs teeth? I was thinking this might be more efficient in brushing if I can get them used to the sound. Thoughts and experiences are greatly appreciated!

#75086 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

I tried an electric toothbrush, they wanted nothing to do with it.
    Maybe if you get them used to it as puppies it could work.
    I have been having good results with a adult medium brush and chicken flavored toothpaste.

#75087 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

C4D:
    That’s an interesting idea, never thought of that! I was skeptical when my horse dentist began using battery powered equipment, but the boys were never bothered to my surprise. I could understand the noise bothering some animals though. I wonder if a sonic toothbrush would make a difference since they are a little quieter?

Glad your pup is recuperating well!

#75091 Report Abuse
    C4D

Hi red & BD! I’m using the dog dental brush & chicken enzymatic toothpaste right now but with 1 difficult to brush & 1 with bad teeth I want to get a good brushing. I bought a spin brush but I might try the sonic since the noise is bothering the difficult one. Thanks BD! I’ll keep you posted! 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.